Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • So far, the most trustworthy reports talk about Nissan designers wanting to pay homage to the original 240Z with the styling of the new Z, which should mean we should at least expect a visually different car than the 370Z. The classic proportions will remain, featuring a long nose followed by a rearward-positioned cabin and a very short rear deck.
  • Car And Driver estimates a base price in the mid-$40,000s for the new Nissan Z to undercut the model’s main rival, the Toyota Supra (in V6 form, at least, as we don’t know yet how much the new 2.0L turbo model will cost in the States). However, that would be a big jump over the current model that starts from just a touch over $30,000.
  • Nissan is going to use a heavily updated version of the FR platform for the new Z car. Older reports suggested that the new sports car will share its oily bits with the next-gen Infiniti Q60 but, given the timing, nobody will be surprised if cost-cutting Nissan suddenly changes its future strategy.
  • Back to the engine options, picking the twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 unit from Infiniti sounds just about right for Nissan, which has already used that powertrain rated at 400 HP in a 370Z show car at the 2018 SEMA Show. A 370Z mule was also spotted late last year lapping the Nurburgring, featuring extra holes on its front bumper most likely to let fresh air into the intercooler.
  • Finally there’s the reported 400Z name. Z cars were always named in accordance with their engine size, and given the new model’s homage to the original, we don’t expect that to change. The name 400Z implies a 4.0-liter version of the twin-turbo V6 in Z-land and that doesn’t seem plausible at this point, unless Nissan is willing to use that name with the 3.0-liter engine.
That's a general overview of the information out right now, as mentioned in this article. It will be best if we can combine this with other reports and what we think will actually happen. Publications won't know it all and its where we as enthusiasts can step in.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Good write up. I’m stilled intrigued by the article applying that this will be the VR30DDTT motor from the Infiniti but with a front mount intercooler. I hope this does happen.
Other wise the waiting for confirmation from Nissan and then waiting for the release and actually purchasing mine is going to require some serious patience. None of which I have. Lol.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
With the VR30DDTT motor, with some light tuning we will be pushing 500+ hp yeah? I'm curious to see how the new Z fares against a Shelby GT350.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
With the VR30DDTT motor, with some light tuning we will be pushing 500+ hp yeah? I'm curious to see how the new Z fares against a Shelby GT350.
I’ll be hoping for 420-440whp after down pipes exhaust, intake, exhaust, and tune. It’s really all about the torque numbers anyways. I won’t be looking for the absolute highest numbers. Just a good track car tune. That’s about perfect numbers for tracking. I hope the turbo’s are reliable for track environment for couple years but I’ll tackle that later when it comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts