Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Z ( what I’m calling it for now ) has to be coming 2021. I looked at several dealer sites and Nissan USA and usually 2021 models would of already been released this late in the year if they were going to continue one more year of the 370. They have nothing listed. I know it’s not a shocking idea but if we can safely say another 370 production is not coming. How soon will it come, Spring...... Fall? How long are they willing to stop any production on the 370 or the new Z? Food for thought.

If ever Nissan decides to update their fans or potential buyers with the full update hopefully all the information will be given and production will follow very shortly after.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I, too, have taken to simply calling the upcoming model "Z," and I think that this is the name that should be used. Simple, elegant, instantly recognizable.

I hadn't looked into it, but I suspect you're right. If there is no 2021 370Z, this all makes sense. The idea that the new Z will be released in 2022 as a '23 model (as was reported by precisely one source, Auto Express) seems misaligned with what we know about the vehicle, anyway - namely, that the Proto is not a "concept" but a "prototype" that will reach production relatively unchanged. That doesn't sound to me like it's two years out, at all.

Here it's claimed that we will see it next spring (though no source seems to be cited):

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember that article. I quickly dismissed it. I know Nissan is in a financial hardship and is in the process of revamping their whole lineup pretty much. Holding out until 2022 is not that smart either even though the Z is not a top of the line seller. Even if Nissan ends up facing a hard-core financial crisis somebody’s going to come together and help them out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You were right to dismiss it - particularly when no other corroborating sources came out. Many a publication ran with it and some still claim it as absolute fact, which I find sloppy and kind of irritating. And you're right again - Nissan needs a series of hits in order to restore the brand and rinse away the stench of the Ghosn scandal. Part of that equation is keeping excitement high for one of their most (if not their absolute most) iconic vehicles. They just cannot afford to lose steam and allow excitement to trail off for the Z.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Z ( what I’m calling it for now ) has to be coming 2021. I looked at several dealer sites and Nissan USA and usually 2021 models would of already been released this late in the year if they were going to continue one more year of the 370. They have nothing listed. I know it’s not a shocking idea but if we can safely say another 370 production is not coming. How soon will it come, Spring...... Fall? How long are they willing to stop any production on the 370 or the new Z? Food for thought.

If ever Nissan decides to update their fans or potential buyers with the full update hopefully all the information will be given and production will follow very shortly after.
I realized that as well. On Nissanusa.com it only says 2020 370Z. Has Nissan made it official that they're stopping 370Z production yet?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d like to think new information would be coming soon. From a financial point it adds up. The new Z announcement obviously had to put a stop on sales and any production of the 370. Time to prepare for some mild retooling and production. The economy is up and they need to push IMO to capitalize.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nissan continues to be rather reserved when it comes to the concrete details about when this vehicle will be released (among other things) but I think it's telling that we saw test mules over a year ago and have now seen a near-final design. I am thinking Q2-Q3 2021 is when we'll see these hit dealer lots, barring some kind of large-scale production set back. If the car is everything it seems to be (and the price is consistent with the Z's raison d'etre), I'll be in line (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q3 will just be considered a 2022 I assume. Thinking out loud. Not that it matters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, for sure. If true, this would simply skip any "2021 Z" model and move straight to 2022. As long as we get the car, no complaints!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not too many complaints here. I just wish they come out and tell us everything it’s not like we’re not gonna find out. Unless there’s something about marketing I don’t understand there is no benefit either way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, this is where things can start to go down the proverbial "rabbit hole" of speculation. It could be that Nissan is simply feeding information at some pre-ordained pace and slow-rolling the total reveal of the new Z. That tactic isn't super uncommon as a means to keep interest percolating for an extended period of time (though it is frustrating, obvious, and ill-fitting with the information age).

Or, as you kind of hinted, it could be that Nissan doesn't have this thing finalized and that they aren't providing details because they do not have them. Recall that Nissan reps even stopped some intrepid Youtube channel hosts from measuring the vehicle's dimensions (somewhat unsuccessfully) and inspecting the suspension and various hard points on the car - that could point to the Proto riding on a non-final platform and using carry-over bits as interim place holders. While I think that's unlikely, it has caused some not-entirely-unfounded speculation as to why they are being so cagey about it.

I'm of a mind that the car is 95% complete, or more, and that Nissan is merely finalizing some minor design elements, calibrations, trim offerings, and homologation details.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
It looks fine the way it is, the package looks functional even if many of the Z34 bits - suspension, chassis, some interior - are included. It has great potential, big brakes and looks to have reasonable weight. Wonder if any of those hands on could determine which body panels are aluminum or other composites other than steel?

Hopefully Nissan is holding out on final trim and color choices, not trying to iron out design 'bugs'. In the mean time we drag on......I'm ready to order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you see the video where they took the measurements and examined some of the mechanical bits? I think it's been taken down, but it was surprisingly thorough for having been conducted under the watchful eye of Nissan reps.

I also hope that they are just getting the trim offerings (colors, wheel options, tire offerings, etc) set before they reveal the Z35 fully. But I do think that there are some things they may need to address for NHTSA standards - has anyone identified the rear camera location (mandated since 2018), are there lights for the rear license plate mount (haven't seen them in photos), do the side markers conform to regulations, etc?

If these really are absent from the Proto, then it obviously isn't truly "final" yet and there will be some alterations, though not necessarily to overall design language.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts