Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, it seems that sentiment has shifted a little that the base model will probably have 300hp instead of 400.

I know we’ll find out for sure in August, but does anyone have any insight into why it’s most like to be one or the other right now?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I am not mistaken, it was directly stated at the September 2020 reveal of the Z Proto that the new Z's power will exceed the current generation's. Someone correct me if I am misremembering that, since I can't find the transcript at the moment.

Assuming I recall correctly, the 300HP variant would appear to be off the proverbial table (which is good).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read a lot of articles. watched a lot of videos, and browsed several forums. The only place I remember anyone talking about the base model having 300HP is people speculating in the comment sections. And I think that is based on the Q50/Q60 offerings. The whole idea behind the (maybe) 400Z name is based on the HP instead of the displacement.

I think Nissan would have to be crazy to offer the base less than the current model, especially since they are likely upping the price! but we'll see in August.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually it makes sense to have a lower-rated version from the flagship. The Supra does it, the Mustang has done it for decades (V6 vs V8), BMW does it for each series...Hell, Porsche has multiple tiers even within Caymans and 911s.
A 300 HP version would be competition for things like the Toyota 86 and low-end Supra, for people who only want to spend around $30k vs $40+k.
One of the things that killed the Supra, 300ZX, RX-7 in the 90's was they priced themselves out of their target market.

·
Registered
171 Posts
First clue that the Proto is 400HP is the Turbo Speed sensor gauge on the dash. The RS400 VR30 has turbine speed sensors, the 300 VR30 does not.
So, if a base Z appears with that gauge, you can bet it's not the 300 VR30.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure a 300HP VR30 Z could be at least as fast, if not a touch faster, than a current VQ37 Z. There's a good deal more torque in the 300 VR30, and more "power under the curve" with a decently high redline not too short of the VQ37.

Nissan has made a RS400 VR30 since 2016, they would definitely know if they can have a base 400HP Z, and incremental increases to the VR30 for higher specifications. It'd be very basic to do 400HP base, 425HP sport, and 450HP Nismo, for example.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
20 Posts
I hope not all Zs should have the same power. Gotta capitalize in undercutting the Supra if the base will start at $35k. Wishful thinking though because the 300hp vr30 Q50 starts at $34k I believe. It would be bold to have the same powertrain across the board starting at $35k and would surely pay off. It would take away Mustang 5.0, Camaro LT1, and Challenger v8 sales if this did this I hope Nissan goes for it.

Price and power is what sold many on the 350Z. I hope the same happens with this platform.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
It would be great to offer a base competitively priced 300 VR30, but historically Nissan has not done this with the Z. I'm still thinking all models will be 400hp, except the upscale Nismo, where power gets bumped to closer 500hp. Plus, even knowing Nissan has been producing excellent models lately (so glad!), financially offering two engine levels wouldn't justify the production costs for such a low volume sports car. High $30K or low $40K for the base 400 VR30 is still good pricing for the performance nowadays.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If we look at the proto and the spy shots of those Z's that were in shipping....we can see the turbo speed gauge on the dash, and most importantly, none of the cars seem to be higher trim cars. Nothing about the proto or the other Z's looks like anything above a base or mid grade trim. Cloth interior, subtle spoiler, and basic looking wheels.

Additionally, there's likely not a huge manufacturing cost difference between 300hp and 400hp VR30DDTT, so not much incentive to make a lower powered Z.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Additionally, there's likely not a huge manufacturing cost difference between 300hp and 400hp VR30DDTT, so not much incentive to make a lower powered Z.
I've been on the exact same wavelength - what would Nissan's cost incentive be, here? To artificially stratify the lineup just for the hell of it? The base model will almost certainly not be an "inexpensive" car, a la MX-5 or GR86 - take any hopes of a $30K Z35 and effectively bin them now - so let's assume that it starts out in the mid-high 30s (which would be pretty aggressive). What would be the point of making the vehicles in that price range less powerful than the current Z?

It's just nonsensical, to my mind.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been on the exact same wavelength - what would Nissan's cost incentive be, here? To artificially stratify the lineup just for the hell of it? The base model will almost certainly not be an "inexpensive" car, a la MX-5 or GR86 - take any hopes of a $30K Z35 and effectively bin them now - so let's assume that it starts out in the mid-high 30s (which would be pretty aggressive). What would be the point of making the vehicles in that price range less powerful than the current Z?

It's just nonsensical, to my mind.
Used to be, when coupes were more popular, manufacturers would have wide differences in trims.
In the 90s and 80s it'd be common to see a certain sporty coupe have no LSD, different transmissions, different brakes, different hubs maybe even 4 lug instead of 5 lug, different headlights and taillights,etc with higher spec models getting beefed up rear differential with LSD and stronger axles, stronger transmission, hubs with larger bearings and 5 lugs, bespoke headlights and taillights, etc.

There's just not much justification for such diverse mechanical specifications any more. Maybe wheels and calipers.....
The VR30DDTT gives Nissan an opportunity to simply turn up the boost/retune without much cost to deliver a Nismo, since the basic Z is such a good starting point.
Look at Miata and GR86 they exist with minor differences in their mechanical specs to serve a small, loyal group of buyers. Neither car would make sense if they had diverse powertrains and too many choices.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They should all start at 440hp @1475kg. Unlikely as the stock engine has 400hp. Only thing is they should increase the Torque slightly to around 400 ft lbs higher up the range. The Nismo should have 450-470hp but i doubt it

·
Registered
171 Posts
They should all start at 440hp @1475kg. Unlikely as the stock engine has 400hp. Only thing is they should increase the Torque slightly to around 400 ft lbs higher up the range. The Nismo should have 450-470hp but i doubt it
Much like the VQ, the VR is more of a revver.
These types of engines don't make more torque than horsepower, the tradeoff being they can rev higher than most modern turbo engines, which make tons of torque but flatline around 5k.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts