Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just a few points.

If Harris stood alone in his criticIsms of the 370Z, he could be considered eccentric and given very little weight. But the truth is most of the serious reviewers in the past few years have had major reservations about the car as a contemporary competitor to sports cars like the twins or the new Supra. Now should I as a shopper ignore the reviews and make a decision solely on the basis of a 30 minute test drive or 2 in city traffic during which there will be no chance to really push the car, or should I factor in the perspectives of reviewers who have been able to push it hard at the track and on the road for much longer periods, have better driving skills than I do, and have for comparison a wealth of experience driving other cars in its class that I could never match? I'm not talking about the YouTube butt-kissers here, who are so grateful to get loaners they wouldn't dream of saying anything really negative about any car. It's pretty easy to suss those guys out.

As Troublesome says, the bones are there in the 370 as a basis for making the new Z a very strong contender, notably the use of double wishbones at the front end of the 370 and the extensive use of aluminium components. As to criteria for judging the success of the effort, for me the key factor won't be the tech, the style, or even the engine performance (that's a given anyways), it will be the degree to which it delivers real driving engagement through telepathic road feel, great steering and braking feedback, and neutral, agile handling without being snappy or uncontrollable at the limit. If it can give us 90% of what the new 86 will deliver on those dimensions, then given its greater power and better suitability for longer-distance hauls, it should be a big success. Why only 90%? For what the car is going to cost, I don't think Nissan's team will be able to fully overcome the negative effect its extra 500-600 lbs will have on its subjective agility. It's very difficult to make a 3400 lb car feel light on its feet. Big rubber etc. may give it great slalom numbers, but that's not the same thing.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
All this pre-analysis is moot right now, no matter how lengthy, whoa, until we get our hands behind the wheel (and shift?!) @Devon is right about the new Z having the proper 'bones' of the 370Z as a good basis. I for one will track mine as soon as it's broken in, can't wait! It will be MY feedback then against others I've owned and tracked - M3, Mazdaspeed Miata, STi, 240Z - to compare how balanced the new Z will be, e.g. no snap oversteer, no push understeer, corner exit behavior. That's 90% for me, the remaining is street stuff, not much keying on that, I'll take some sacrifices.

There are only a few magazine reviews/comparos/reviewers I follow, testers that do decent analysis, not just stats wars and bench racing.

This wait is too long!!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts