Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in love with the Z series ever since I started wanting to get into cars. The first car I ever worked on was a Nissan Altima, and when I drained that transmission fluid at 80K miles WHEEW!!!! It was just black pudding. Fortunately, the CVT still works at 105K miles.

Anyways (despite wanting a 280zx), I want to get into a newer Z simply for ease of maintenance. Older vehicles are more difficult to maintain for the simple fact that they can be a little more tricky to find parts for, so I've decided on getting either the new Z or the 370z. I believe both cars are gorgeous, and I love naturally aspirated engines as much as I love forced induction.

My only fear is reliability. Nissan isn't known for their reliability, but I know that Nissan's sports cars and trucks tend to not follow that trend as closely. The new Z seems to have the same powertrain as the q50 and q60 red sport, and the issues with those engines seem to have been solved, or have some sort of permanent solution to them. If I can hit 150-200K with the VR30 (stock), I'd be pretty happy. If you don't think that is possible, I'm sure the VQ37DE could hit that.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey @dogunbound5 welcome to the forum! Are you leaning more towards the Z or 370Z for your next car? Also, when you make your choice are you going to keep it stock or modify it?
The most I would do is a bolt-on, exhaust, and a very light tune to accommodate the previous mods (maybe none if it runs fine). I might not even do that. Catch can because it is GDI. Following that, I will definitely put a stiffer set of suspension on it. I prefer leaving the internals as stock as possible.

I'd prefer the Z, but leaning towards the 370Z because I'm thinking it may be more reliable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
370 is simpler from an engine point of view but did have some issues that were changed with the new Z like the clutch slave arrangement. Unlike other brand new cars, the new Z is a parts bin special and I would guess should be very reliable. I would be ok owning a first year Z. The manual transmission 2nd gear thing is my only minor concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after reviewing more and more about the new z, the new z's manual transmission has a recall to make it beefier, so 2nd gear grind doesn't seem like it will be a thing in the future.

The only reliability issue that stands out will be the power windows. They are required to drop down and then go up to close the door. I've had MANY nissan power windows fail / are failing, so I think in the long run, multiple power window motor replacements for the new Z may be an annoying issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Biggest elephant in the room is the VR30DDTT. VQ37 is a tried and tested motor. VR30 (in the Qs) have had issues with turbos, oiling, Porous block and some other that became worse as you started heavily modding them. Hopefully they revised and took care of this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So after reviewing more and more about the new z, the new z's manual transmission has a recall to make it beefier, so 2nd gear grind doesn't seem like it will be a thing in the future.

The only reliability issue that stands out will be the power windows. They are required to drop down and then go up to close the door. I've had MANY nissan power windows fail / are failing, so I think in the long run, multiple power window motor replacements for the new Z may be an annoying issue.
I've been in love with the Z series ever since I started wanting to get into cars. The first car I ever worked on was a Nissan Altima, and when I drained that transmission fluid at 80K miles WHEEW!!!! It was just black pudding. Fortunately, the CVT still works at 105K miles.

Anyways (despite wanting a 280zx), I want to get into a newer Z simply for ease of maintenance. Older vehicles are more difficult to maintain for the simple fact that they can be a little more tricky to find parts for, so I've decided on getting either the new Z or the 370z. I believe both cars are gorgeous, and I love naturally aspirated engines as much as I love forced induction.

My only fear is reliability. Nissan isn't known for their reliability, but I know that Nissan's sports cars and trucks tend to not follow that trend as closely. The new Z seems to have the same powertrain as the q50 and q60 red sport, and the issues with those engines seem to have been solved, or have some sort of permanent solution to them. If I can hit 150-200K with the VR30 (stock), I'd be pretty happy. If you don't think that is possible, I'm sure the VQ37DE could hit that.

Thanks for responding.
The Z is made in Japan and doesn't have a CVT. My 2017 370Z has 55,000 miles and has been modded throughout, yet it has been ultra-reliable so far, and I run it hard. The 370's bugs are the clutch slave cylinder (which can be easily bypassed and you will never have to worry about this issue), oil cooling- it needs an external oil cooler added, stock rear diff sucks (I replaced it with a Wavetrac), rear axle click issue which can be easily fixed with nuts that Kawasaki motorcycle makes. When I was getting my Z modded and tuned at Specialty Z in Chatsworth, CA, Seb (the owner and a wizard at tuning) said the 3.0TT in the new Z is not as bulletproof as the VQ37VHR in the 370. It's just more complicated and will need more maintenance as the engine gets up in miles. Use Redline synthetic oil (5W-40 in a 370Z)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts