Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
This car is exactly what I'm glad the Z design did not turn into. Over-styled front and side. The rear is reserved and nice. The FE has so much going on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This car is exactly what I'm glad the Z design did not turn into. Over-styled front and side. The rear is reserved and nice. The FE has so much going on.
I wouldn't say it's over styled but it's definitely a bolder look than the previous BRZ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Z's have always been like that so I doubt Nissan would go the direction Toyota/Subaru did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A bit of a dated thread, and this is a Nissan Z forum, but, what the hell, the BRZ is a competitor for the Z so discussion and comments are relevant and interesting (at least to me they are, but maybe I'm the only one who'll be cross-shopping the 400Z with the new BRZ).

I personally like the looks of the current first-generation BRZ better than the new one. To my old-school (and old man...) eyes, the styling of the new car is a bit of an incoherent mix of curves with Chris Bangle-like creases with the biggest rocket bunny side sills I've ever seen on a production car. It's disharmonious. The first-gen car was all curves and flowed better.

The interior looks like it's been "improved" in the sense that it's now more cohesive, with perhaps better quality switchgear. The instrument panel is now all-digital (which is in vogue), which is in some ways an improvement over the current car's mixed analog + digital dash (though again being an old-school curmudgeon I personally would have preferred an all-analog dash).

The biggest improvement is of course with the engine. Naturally everyone in the BRZ/86 community was hoping for a turbo engine, and of course that wasn't going to happen (because Toyota wasn't going to allow the car to undercut Supra sales by being more powerful and faster for a lower price). Truth be told, a 228 hp naturally aspirated engine is probably just about right for the car. Much more important than the raw 'hp' is the boost in torque, which now peaks at 3700 vs 6500 rpm, which should make the car much more pleasant to drive in the real world on the street.

The BRZ was never about straight-line acceleration. I always saw it as a modern-day version of a classic 1960's/1970's sports car, a MGB-GT, Fiat 124, Karmann-Ghia, or Opel GT for today. Since I grew up driving the sports cars of the 60's/70's (and once owned all of those), the power:weight ratio of the BRZ was fine, vastly better than anything the cars back then could ever dream of. 'More power' is almost always better, but I would always prefer a naturally aspirated engine over a turbo.

My daily driver is a WRX, with a 2.0 268 hp turbo. It's a great car and a lot of fun (though the ride is stiff, and makes about 3 hours the max my aging bones can handle). But to me, most turbo engines feel more alike than different. The driving experience for most turbos is, nothing down low because of low compression until the turbo kicks in, then WHAM-BAM!!! a catapult slingshot launch around 2500 rpm, and then it's all over by 5000 rpm. To my ears (used to a long line of N/A motors), it's also hard to get a turbo to just sound right. They can sound OK, but regardless of the performance, they often still have that choking sound if an asthmatic Italian grandmother struggling up a flight of stairs. The exhaust can be tuned all you want (and heaven forbid the blasphemy of electronically-enhanced sound), but it's hard to argue with the purity and visceral thrill of a sound like the Honda S2000. As much as the future of car engines is turbocharging, I personally would have preferred the old N/A 332 hp 3.7 in the new Z over the more 'modern' 3.0 400 hp turbo.

It will be fun to test driving both the new Z and BRZ, preferably back-to-back, on multiple long test drives. It's something to (hopefully!) look forward to on the other side of this surrealistic pandemic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A bit of a dated thread, and this is a Nissan Z forum, but, what the hell, the BRZ is a competitor for the Z so discussion and comments are relevant and interesting (at least to me they are, but maybe I'm the only one who'll be cross-shopping the 400Z with the new BRZ).

I personally like the looks of the current first-generation BRZ better than the new one. To my old-school (and old man...) eyes, the styling of the new car is a bit of an incoherent mix of curves with Chris Bangle-like creases with the biggest rocket bunny side sills I've ever seen on a production car. It's disharmonious. The first-gen car was all curves and flowed better.

The interior looks like it's been "improved" in the sense that it's now more cohesive, with perhaps better quality switchgear. The instrument panel is now all-digital (which is in vogue), which is in some ways an improvement over the current car's mixed analog + digital dash (though again being an old-school curmudgeon I personally would have preferred an all-analog dash).

The biggest improvement is of course with the engine. Naturally everyone in the BRZ/86 community was hoping for a turbo engine, and of course that wasn't going to happen (because Toyota wasn't going to allow the car to undercut Supra sales by being more powerful and faster for a lower price). Truth be told, a 228 hp naturally aspirated engine is probably just about right for the car. Much more important than the raw 'hp' is the boost in torque, which now peaks at 3700 vs 6500 rpm, which should make the car much more pleasant to drive in the real world on the street.

The BRZ was never about straight-line acceleration. I always saw it as a modern-day version of a classic 1960's/1970's sports car, a MGB-GT, Fiat 124, Karmann-Ghia, or Opel GT for today. Since I grew up driving the sports cars of the 60's/70's (and once owned all of those), the power:weight ratio of the BRZ was fine, vastly better than anything the cars back then could ever dream of. 'More power' is almost always better, but I would always prefer a naturally aspirated engine over a turbo.

My daily driver is a WRX, with a 2.0 268 hp turbo. It's a great car and a lot of fun (though the ride is stiff, and makes about 3 hours the max my aging bones can handle). But to me, most turbo engines feel more alike than different. The driving experience for most turbos is, nothing down low because of low compression until the turbo kicks in, then WHAM-BAM!!! a catapult slingshot launch around 2500 rpm, and then it's all over by 5000 rpm. To my ears (used to a long line of N/A motors), it's also hard to get a turbo to just sound right. They can sound OK, but regardless of the performance, they often still have that choking sound if an asthmatic Italian grandmother struggling up a flight of stairs. The exhaust can be tuned all you want (and heaven forbid the blasphemy of electronically-enhanced sound), but it's hard to argue with the purity and visceral thrill of a sound like the Honda S2000. As much as the future of car engines is turbocharging, I personally would have preferred the old N/A 332 hp 3.7 in the new Z over the more 'modern' 3.0 400 hp turbo.

It will be fun to test driving both the new Z and BRZ, preferably back-to-back, on multiple long test drives. It's something to (hopefully!) look forward to on the other side of this surrealistic pandemic.
I completely agree @AnalogMan if you're looking at an 86 or BRZ in terms of straight line speed you're completely missing the point. I actually like the new look, I think it's a nice evolution of the design. But like you said it all comes down to the engine and I think the added hp and torque is way overdue, even if it's not from a turbo. It's been interesting seeing Subaru doing all the promoting for the BRZ while Toyota hasn't been doing anything with the 86.

Also before I forget, here's the Gymkhana video with the BRZ. It appears at 2:40.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
If Nissan prices a 400hp Z at $35k its game over for both the GR86/BRZ and BimYota Zupra.
Would be nice but doubt it would be anywhere under $40K for 400hp. My guess is $42 and up, Nismo $55 or so. Any cheaper it will surely destroy the competition.

·
Super Moderator
36 Posts
Would be nice but doubt it would be anywhere under $40K for 400hp. My guess is $42 and up, Nismo $55 or so. Any cheaper it will surely destroy the competition.

I agree. 42-46K is my guess. I see the Z going upmarket just a bit compared to the non NISMO 370 pricepoint. Im thinking at first only a "touring" type trim no base car.. you are probably getting a limited option car with the infotainment screens digital gauges and maybe even propilot standard. all this still undercuts the Supra by a good bit which will be the goal.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I agree. 42-46K is my guess. I see the Z going upmarket just a bit compared to the non NISMO 370 pricepoint. Im thinking at first only a "touring" type trim no base car.. you are probably getting a limited option car with the infotainment screens digital gauges and maybe even propilot standard. all this still undercuts the Supra by a good bit which will be the goal.
What do you think of the Z getting some of the R35 data logger as part of the 'sport' or Nismo package? I'd really like that, so it's integrated. I plan to track it so any factory-backed features will be appreciated. Suspension-wise, how about adjustable coilovers and smart dampers?

·
Super Moderator
36 Posts
What do you think of the Z getting some of the R35 data logger as part of the 'sport' or Nismo package? I'd really like that, so it's integrated. I plan to track it so any factory-backed features will be appreciated. Suspension-wise, how about adjustable coilovers and smart dampers?
that would be cool for sure. since the GTR came along in 2008 this is become way more common corvette ( especially with lap logging) and mustang really have leaned into this type of data being displayed. my brother has 2018 mustang GT and its got the nice all digital gauges with G force and all that good stuff. the GTR data screen has stayed basically untouched for a decade but its still pretty good. It was designed by Polyphony who makes the Gran Turismo games and coincidentally Nissan released a video a few weeks ago showing the Proto on track with some of the heritage Zs. the footage is actually from the upcoming Gran Turismo 7.

suspension I dont expect anything really extravagant but thats just based on the detailed walk around video under the proto showed a lot of 370Z carry over and over all DNA. . would be surprised if the car gets suspension settings like the GTR or cars with magnetic ride ect. NISMO down the road who knows

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Even if its priced that high its still a better buy than the 4 banger Zupra LOL. WTF was Toyota thinking? Hmmm 255hp reskin auto only Z4 or a 400hp Nissan with a manual for about the same estimated price.

Such a hard decision... not... I predict when the Z comes Toyota will pull the plug on the 4 banger Zupra and cut the 3.0's price tag by $5k.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Even if its priced that high its still a better buy than the 4 banger Zupra LOL. WTF was Toyota thinking? Hmmm 255hp reskin auto only Z4 or a 400hp Nissan with a manual for about the same estimated price.

Such a hard decision... not... I predict when the Z comes Toyota will pull the plug on the 4 banger Zupra and cut the 3.0's price tag by $5k.
It's truly remarkable with how Toyota has swung and missed with the Supra. The only way the 4 cylinder Supra would make sense is if the 86/BRZ didn't exist. It's in a weird spot in their lineup.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts