Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there other cars you are considering as well as the 400Z? Which ones, and why?

For me, there are 2 serious contenders and one outside possibility:
  1. The upcoming re-do of the GT86/BRZ. I love the slightly smaller and considerably lighter form factor of this car relative to the 370Z, but the nasty engine characteristics (torque dip, agricultural machinery sounds), sluggish highway acceleration, and cheap interior kept me from buying one. If they add rev-matching to the manual and address these issues with a new engine and improved interior I will be very interested.
  2. The Miata ND2. Lovely high-revving engine, nimble and tossable, just enough performance to have fun on the street, but its small size and consequent lack of practicality makes it a challenging choice as a sole vehicle. Another negative for me is that the folding hardtop model does not provide anywhere near the noise isolation of a genuine coupe on the highway.
  3. The Civic Type R. I haven't been able to test drive one, but by all accounts an amazing FWD performance bargain. It's that FWD part that dampens my enthusiasm. My current car is FWD, and I'd like to get back to the RWD experience I learned to drive with (my father had in that period a Porsche 911, a 1969 GTO, and a Fiat 124.)
If the 400Z turns out to be significantly lighter and more nimble than the 370Z it could be my ideal choice. Certainly the teaser Nissan gave us in that recent video is very promising, the car looks to be substantially pared down and well styled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My initial quest for a daily back in 2017 started with me shopping for a 370Z with sport pkg and when i test drove it i was left with me not truely excited in getting one. Then i extended it to a BRZ (better pkg compared to 86) and a Mustang GT.

Then priorities changed and i really needed a functional rear seat so the Mustang GT became a clear choice eventhough i wasnt a big fan of how rhe MT82 transmission performed. Ended up getting one and within 10 months traded out of it for a GT350 which I still have and wouldnt trade for anything.

About 6 months later i wanted to retire the Shelby from daily duties and ended up getting a BRZ which I absolutely love although the motor does lack a punch in the mid range. With the 430 gears the refreshed cars do feel a bit more peppy and it hasn't bothered me much.

Now Im hoping nissan does it right by refining this sequel of the Z car with a better shifting gearbox, better steering, refined suspension and an up to date interior and I’ll be in line to get one as soon as they are released.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont think it will be significantly lighter without a huge increase in cost. I think 1450kg minimum would probably be the best we can hope for a GT. Unless they start using better materials. I just hope the cost doesn't jump from the £37,000 or $51,000 it cost now. In UK I can see it starting at £45,000 up to £52,000.

If you start adding aluminium and carbon fiber etc youre probably looking at £55,000

Im just going by what rivals are charging and huge costs to manufacture in Japan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Right now, as I type this, I'm all over the place. New or used? NA or turbo? German, domestic, Japanese? Less expensive vs more expensive. Cars that interest me that I could probably afford to get into include: 400Z, Cayman GTS 4.0, C7 corvette GS, Alfa 4c, 997/991 era 911... Those are off the top of my head right now. There's clearly no rhyme or reason at the moment. A lot will come down to what it's like to drive the various cars in relation to cost. Though with the Cayman the interest in doing european delivery is strong. If Nissan offered such a thing for the Z, that would really complicate things. :love:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
If the 400Z 'Track pkg' pricing comes close to a Z51 C8, that will be a close call. Nissan needs to keep it well below, at an ideal $50K or less. I already have a Mazdaspeed Miata, light weight and just enough turbo power it's a blast of a car on street and track...go-kart nimbleness. We need it on the 400Z, keep the weight down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car will also need a better LSD. There is a British track review of the current Nismo in which the reviewer complains that the car spun its inside rear wheel readily, the viscous LSD is totally inadequate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts