Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I was at a track day this weekend, Auto Club Speedway, saw 4-5 Supras running, they were fast on the straights, it sure looks like again the published 335 hp is underrated, typical BMW specs, maybe closer to the Z4's hp rating.
I've heard from others that the Supra is underrated. That Toyota substantially increased the hp rating for this model year makes me think there was plenty of power on the table in the first year.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was at a track day this weekend, Auto Club Speedway, saw 4-5 Supras running, they were fast on the straights, it sure looks like again the published 335 hp is underrated, typical BMW specs, maybe closer to the Z4's hp rating.
That would make sense. I remember reading articles about dyno tests that showed the Supra producing more power than advertised.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've heard from others that the Supra is underrated. That Toyota substantially increased the hp rating for this model year makes me think there was plenty of power on the table in the first year.
Toyota had no choice. People will expect updates every year for the next 7 years.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Nissan Z Proto
Length: 172.5 in
Width: 72.8 in
Height: 51.6 in

Toyota Supra
Length: 172.5 in
Width: 73 in
Height: 51.1 in

·
Registered
449 Posts
I like how much pressure Nissan put on Toyota to offer a manual.

"To make the perfect batch of cookies, you'll need a particular list of ingredients: flour, butter, sugar, baking soda—and if you forget one very important element, for instance, eggs, they'll turn out flat and without substance. It's the same with sports cars, and Nissan followed the formula with the new Z Proto, which is a production-intent preview of the next-gen Z: turbocharged engine, rear-wheel drive, sloped roofline, and, thankfully, a manual transmission. Nissan's rival, Toyota, has also concocted a delectable sports car with the revived Supra, although it failed to include that one key ingredient.

Toyota has made it clear that it intends to make improvements to the new Supra gradually, over its life span—saving the 382-hp version of BMW's six-cylinder engine for the second model year is a perfect example. But the new Nissan Z, with its standard six-speed manual, puts a lot of pressure on Toyota to give the Supra the one thing it so desperately needs: a do-it-yourself gearbox. Sometimes peer pressure isn't a bad thing, if the outcome is positive. Better yet, Toyota has even told Car and Driver in the past that manual-gearbox Supra prototypes exist and have been tested. The ball is in your court, Toyota."

·
Registered
177 Posts
BMW, errr, I mean "Toyota" just released a $65k version of the Supra: 2022 Toyota Supra A91-CF Special Edition Is $$$

Soooooo... I hope that doesn't motivate Nissan to take liberties with high pricing of the new Z.

As for Toyota, it's really a shame that they are all-in with BMW, as their new V35 V6TT is shaping up to be a very potent engine. I've heard a rumour that Toyota praised the BMW engine for being a "straight 6" true to Supra heritage, but I'm sure the vast majority of potential buyers would accept a V6TT to get an all-Toyota Supra, instead of having an all-BMW Supra to maintain the I6.

·
Super Moderator
219 Posts
im not a huge fan of the new supra but the CF has a nice vibe to it with the subtle changes

the biggest thing that I hope nissan doesnt copy from the supra his how toyota sandbagged the horse power for 2020 and really screwed over early adopters with the 21.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Then new Z, in order to take the market by storm, needs to have the 400hp VR30DDTT across the model line, no 'detuned' versions, and if Nissan can deliver starting from the $35K baseline with manual transmission. The Supra will have an uphill battle if this is delivered right off the bat. There is no need for any special editions aside from the Nismo later on, to jack prices up. ADM will already create problems on the get go, unfortunately.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
I don't want to buy one of the first model years. I'll buy the next new car January through March. My 10r80 5.0 was $31,800 otd and the cheapest in the country at that time. $1,000 down payment.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts