Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you like to drive your AT Z in manual mode, I can see some potential issues with having 9 gears. Take this scenario: you are cruising down a busy highway at a less-than-ideal 65 mph, in 9th to save gas, and an opening in the fast lane suddenly appears, but you have to move fast to get it. Now in manual mode, you have to downshift four times just to get your car into the power band for best acceleration. Not being a DCT, these gear changes are going to take a frustratingly long time in total, by which point your lane change opportunity may be gone.

In fully auto mode, the AT should drop down to say fifth or fourth in one step when you go WOT. But I have no desire to drive in full-auto mode, it drains much of the fun out of having a sports car - something bought primarily for enjoyment in the first place.

It should be possible for Nissan to program different logic into the AT so that in manual mode when you downshift it skips one or more gears based on the current degree of throttle opening. Or have it drop down to the optimal performance gear ratio if you continually pull the downshift paddle for say 1/2 a second or longer. But these options may bring some legal liability issues with them that make them unpalatable to Nissan.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know that it'll be an issue. Even the current 7AT in the Z drops into 5th as the default upper cog if you switch over from full auto (obviously, you can manually select 6th or 7th) at a somewhat higher speed.

Granted I don't know that many folks would see fit to be manually shifting an automatic gearbox while driving on the freeway since you'll almost always be returning to the economy cogs in short order and you're not going to be revving out higher gears unless you're aiming for felony-level velocities.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you like to drive your AT Z in manual mode, I can see some potential issues with having 9 gears. Take this scenario: you are cruising down a busy highway at a less-than-ideal 65 mph, in 9th to save gas, and an opening in the fast lane suddenly appears, but you have to move fast to get it. Now in manual mode, you have to downshift four times just to get your car into the power band for best acceleration. Not being a DCT, these gear changes are going to take a frustratingly long time in total, by which point your lane change opportunity may be gone.

In fully auto mode, the AT should drop down to say fifth or fourth in one step when you go WOT. But I have no desire to drive in full-auto mode, it drains much of the fun out of having a sports car - something bought primarily for enjoyment in the first place.

It should be possible for Nissan to program different logic into the AT so that in manual mode when you downshift it skips one or more gears based on the current degree of throttle opening. Or have it drop down to the optimal performance gear ratio if you continually pull the downshift paddle for say 1/2 a second or longer. But these options may bring some legal liability issues with them that make them unpalatable to Nissan.
There are some cars with the option to hold down on the downshift paddle and it goes to the lowest possible gear. It might have that.
The 10r80s the fords and chevys have seem to do fine with double or triple clicks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's not really an issue. I don't see the point of using paddles or the sequential style shifters during everyday driving. It's unnecessary. Step on the pedal harder and it'll downshift like what an automatic does. I find these types of shifters very gimmicky.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's not really an issue. I don't see the point of using paddles or the sequential style shifters during everyday driving. It's unnecessary. Step on the pedal harder and it'll downshift like what an automatic does. I find these types of shifters very gimmicky.
I agree with you. I just can't get behind using paddle shifters if I don't need to, and I love rowing gears on a manual.

The only time I think I ever use them is to gear down to slow the car at highway speeds just a touch. Or if you're on a racetrack. Then gain, I'd driven PDK 911s on a track and if you put them in Sport+ it's just as good as if you did it yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having never driven a "paddled" car (other than in a 20 minute FR-S test drive) it's interesting hearing peoples' experiences with them. Sounds like once you get paddles you quickly lose interest in shifting manually with them most of the time, which for me would suck a lot of the "sports" out of sportscar. All of which makes me more likely to stick with a manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having never driven a "paddled" car (other than in a 20 minute FR-S test drive) it's interesting hearing peoples' experiences with them. Sounds like once you get paddles you quickly lose interest in shifting manually with them most of the time, which for me would suck a lot of the "sports" out of sportscar. All of which makes me more likely to stick with a manual.

Yup.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger (daily), 2020 Toyota Supra
51 Posts
Only time I've known of people to really use the paddles is during racing applications or playing around. It gets old after a bit. I've changed the paddles on my Supra for a better feel if I want to use them, but as St00k mentioned Sport+ does a great job of shifting.
Then gain, I'd driven PDK 911s on a track and if you put them in Sport+ it's just as good as if you did it yourself.
If you really want to feel engaged in shifting all the time, then get a manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got paddles...on my wife's Grand Cherokee. Those are ridiculous. The only time I have used them is when I accidentally hit one and then I have to figure out how to get back into auto mode. Having the ability to manually select a gear on the shift lever is fine when necessary (downhill, off road, etc.) The paddles are silly in that car though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts