Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have to disagree with closing this thread just becuase you dont like AT’s. We have at least one member here who wants one and there will be many more. I am on the fence right now so could go either way. If I get the manual, its comes with a built in anti-theft device “millennium proof” they dont know how to drive a stick ha ha…

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger (daily), 2020 Toyota Supra
92 Posts
im getting an automatic Z so this thread will stay open ;)
I’ll be getting an auto Z as well, but have several friends wanting manuals for track days.

I’m sure there will be a good mix of auto and manual transmissions on the road, but a majority will be auto.

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
I’ll be getting an auto Z as well, but have several friends wanting manuals for track days.

I’m sure there will be a good mix of auto and manual transmissions on the road, but a majority will be auto.
One of the main reasons I'm getting an auto is actually to track and autoX. Both my 350s were manual but after tracking paddle shift in GTRs since 2008 It just feels so natural not to take your hand off the wheel and just hit the paddle right after a corner for an upshift right at redline. As long as it's a capable auto I just don't have an interest in returning to pushing the clutch in and rowing gears.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger (daily), 2020 Toyota Supra
92 Posts
One of the main reasons I'm getting an auto is actually to track and autoX. Both my 350s were manual but after tracking paddle shift in GTRs since 2008 It just feels so natural not to take your hand off the wheel and just hit the paddle right after a corner for an upshift right at redline. As long as it's a capable auto I just don't have an interest in returning to pushing the clutch in and rowing gears.
I feel you on that. I don’t track my Supra, but spirited driving with the paddles has been more fun than shifting with a stick. Keeping hands on the wheel while shifting is nice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seconded. Also, I will add that it isn't simply people who do not know how to drive a stick shift, but those who simply do not especially enjoy doing so who would be included in this general sentiment, since the choice is not necessarily one made of capacity alone.

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
Jeez, why not just get a bus pass if you want an automatic so bad?

It's the same thing pretty much.

giphy.gif

having a preference is fine as there are pros and cons to both....but ive literally never met anyone that straight hated on a paddle shift auto that didnt think they were still in F&F and the difference in a race is their mad shifting skillz . im just a little biased on this because literally every 5th person ive ever met at the gas station since 2008 that has come up to me has told me "oh man I cant believe you didnt get it in a manual" literally having no clue what they are talking about 🤣

200.gif

Stk0X-.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
having a preference is fine as there are pros and cons to both....but ive literally never met anyone that straight hated on a paddle shift auto that didnt think they were still in F&F and the difference in a race is their mad shifting skillz . im just a little biased on this because literally every 5th person ive ever met at the gas station since 2008 that has come up to me has told me "oh man I cant believe you didnt get it in a manual" literally having no clue what they are talking about 🤣

Literally?

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
Literally?
You mean literally every 5th person coming up to me and hating on my GTRs for not being a manual? Oh absolutely. It was hilarious. I'm not exaggerating why isnt it manual was probably the top question besides how much did you pay for it. I also even got "a buddy of mine has one and is getting a manual put in his" a few times. I'm not sure what the blind obsession with manuals are. I had 2 manual Zs and enjoyed them both for the time. my first manual car ever was my 03 Z. I l basically earned how to drive one on it minus 3 days or so driving this lady's geo metro around the block to practice so I wouldnt burn the clutch up in my Z on the way home.

Would I love to drive the new Z in a manual? Absolutely. But owning one day in day out I'm just kind of pass that for me personally. Its funny the day I sort of decided I was over them was I got invited out to circuit of the Americas in Austin for this nissan event. during this one track session they randomly put you in a 370z and the one I happened to walk over to was the 6 speed. didnt even realize it until I was buckled up. I was like oh man this will be interesting to refresh myself while on this track ive never done before haha. A few laps in I was like why am I pushing this clutch in and finding these gears when I could just be focused on the turns ect. the next session I drove an auto 370 and that 7AT as some of you know is ok nothing special but It just felt more like what I was used to. With that said would love to take a manual one up to tail of the dragon like we used to at Zdays back in the day.

I just really enjoy paddles so just fingers crossed the new Z auto trans is good. I used to have this line and that I used on people who were diehard about manuals ..I would sarcastically say I bet you like using a rotary phones too. But then I realized how that sounded and that argument about newer tech is always better would eventually lead to me having to argue for a driverless electric car one day so I gave up with that logic. just wait until we have to have this convo all over again about an electric Z vs gas one day. After watching those videos last week of the Model S Plaid doing 9.2's at 152mph on the street im not sure where my loyalties would lie :ROFLMAO:

bottom line if it's a capable auto with an intelligent shift algorithm with the paddles in manual mode. It will be just fine. I just think its dumb to get tribal over the manual vs auto question.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I bought my last car the choice was between a brilliant 6 speed MT or an old school 6AT. The choice was very simple. I absolutely love the driver engagement and control. But it does get old.. you can hardly multitask while driving (I know safety).. the wife can’t drive it so I’m always DD haha

I’ve never driven a Z with the revmatching, so that may alleviate a lot of the day to day usability. But Autos have become so damn good recently that it’s very tempting. Hopefully we’ll get some reviews and driving impressions of each prior to finalizing an order.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How long are car enthusiasts going to debate this silly topic. Pick the transmission you prefer for the reasons you prefer it. Let everyone enjoy what they want.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 10speed auto in the mustang almost sounds strange at times because it shifts up quickly and doesn't really drop the revs all that much. I've never driven one. Curious to know how that feels on a back road.

·
Registered
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
67 Posts
You mean literally every 5th person coming up to me and hating on my GTRs for not being a manual? Oh absolutely. It was hilarious. I'm not exaggerating why isnt it manual was probably the top question besides how much did you pay for it. I also even got "a buddy of mine has one and is getting a manual put in his" a few times. I'm not sure what the blind obsession with manuals are. I had 2 manual Zs and enjoyed them both for the time. my first manual car ever was my 03 Z. I l basically earned how to drive one on it minus 3 days or so driving this lady's geo metro around the block to practice so I wouldnt burn the clutch up in my Z on the way home.

Would I love to drive the new Z in a manual? Absolutely. But owning one day in day out I'm just kind of pass that for me personally. Its funny the day I sort of decided I was over them was I got invited out to circuit of the Americas in Austin for this nissan event. during this one track session they randomly put you in a 370z and the one I happened to walk over to was the 6 speed. didnt even realize it until I was buckled up. I was like oh man this will be interesting to refresh myself while on this track ive never done before haha. A few laps in I was like why am I pushing this clutch in and finding these gears when I could just be focused on the turns ect. the next session I drove an auto 370 and that 7AT as some of you know is ok nothing special but It just felt more like what I was used to. With that said would love to take a manual one up to tail of the dragon like we used to at Zdays back in the day.

I just really enjoy paddles so just fingers crossed the new Z auto trans is good. I used to have this line and that I used on people who were diehard about manuals ..I would sarcastically say I bet you like using a rotary phones too. But then I realized how that sounded and that argument about newer tech is always better would eventually lead to me having to argue for a driverless electric car one day so I gave up with that logic. just wait until we have to have this convo all over again about an electric Z vs gas one day. After watching those videos last week of the Model S Plaid doing 9.2's at 152mph on the street im not sure where my loyalties would lie :ROFLMAO:

bottom line if it's a capable auto with an intelligent shift algorithm with the paddles in manual mode. It will be just fine. I just think its dumb to get tribal over the manual vs auto question.

Not gonna lie though, a manual R35 would have been sweet lol.

As to the rotary phone argument, I agree that said argument doesn't always work, and I will add that simply because something is "new" and potentially "improved" (or if it makes life easier somehow), it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Case in point, what the hell was BMW thinking with the new 2 series? Which sadly won't be offered with a manual - but then again I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one of those anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
67 Posts
Unrelated to the merits of the 9g in terms of performance (I'm sure it'll be fine), keep in mind that the 9g employs a "plastic" pan which requires replacement as the filters are built into said pan. See video.

Not necessarily an issue, but it already bugs me that the VR30 already comes with a plastic oil pan. The VR30's pan, however, can be swapped to a billet one, courtesy of DropBear. I'm not so sure that's possible with the 9g as the pan itself houses the trans fluid filters.

To be clear, the 9g's plastic pan won't be an issue for those that want to lease the car or plan on reselling after a short period of time, but for the long haulers that intend on holding on to the car for a while, if not indefinitely, the eventual degradation of the 9g's pan over time (trans fluid will inevitably dry out the plastic and cause it to become brittle) should be a cause for concern. Just my $0.02.

There is of course the possibility that JATCO will use a different pan from the Mercedes design, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
103 Posts
lool @Jahblundah ...... Ive only experience dct in the m3 which has now been dropped and dsg. I still love the Torque from Manual gearbox and the engagement. Eventually ill have to get auto as my left leg is starting to show signs of damage 🤣

21 - 38 of 38 Posts