Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know if it will be a big problem like it is in the q50/q60, but Nissan does not like to fix shit when they know it will be a problem, even the the vr30 was revised in 2018, there are still numerous cases of 2018 - 2021 model years with blown turbos, hopefully this won't be a problem as the new Z is kind of slow compared to the competition, and will need to be modded to do some damage. let me know if im missing something, otherwise I am pretty convinced that this platform is going to be a let down, only thing i am excited about is the 9 speed dual clutch auto

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do not know if it will be a big problem like it is in the q50/q60, but Nissan does not like to fix shit when they know it will be a problem, even the the vr30 was revised in 2018, there are still numerous cases of 2018 - 2021 model years with blown turbos, hopefully this won't be a problem as the new Z is kind of slow compared to the competition, and will need to be modded to do some damage. let me know if im missing something, otherwise I am pretty convinced that this platform is going to be a let down, only thing i am excited about is the 9 speed dual clutch auto
sorry to break it to you. I don’t think it’s DCT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Current owner of the VR30 platform already. I've got a full bolt on Q60.
Blown turbos won't be a worry for anyone stock.
As for modded people, the only worry is when its tuned too aggressively or if you are running certain mods without tunes.
The turbos aren't going to self destruct unless you are doing something to make it.
I'm not worried about the VR30. I've had issues and there's definitely weird shit the car does sometimes, but it hasn't scared me off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As for modded people, the only worry is when its tuned too aggressively or if you are running certain mods without tunes.
The turbos aren't going to self destruct unless you are doing something to make it.
I'm not worried about the VR30. I've had issues and there's definitely weird shit the car does sometimes, but it hasn't scared me off.
My Infiniti tech informed me - when discussing the new Z - that he’s seen too many blown red sport turbos from owners who liked to drive them hard, informally drag race, etc. Basically, abuse yielded an unusually high number of warranty claims - something not seen on G37 Coupes and Sedans preceding it. In his opinion, the Z’s engine is a good one but one that isn’t as robust as the NA VQ. He said the Z should be fine if not abused. Occasionally doing hard pulls, acceleration runs without redlining it regularly should be alright. I said I thought abusing any engine would be catastrophic, but he said the red sport engine was more prone to problems from abuse than average. That info might be a bit more relevant any one owner’s anecdotal experience. While he didn’t know anything about changes being made to the engine for Z duty, it still gave me pause and added to the pile of reasons to wait a year or three before buying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Infiniti tech informed me - when discussing the new Z - that he’s seen too many blown red sport turbos from owners who liked to drive them hard, informally drag race, etc. Basically, abuse yielded an unusually high number of warranty claims - something not seen on G37 Coupes and Sedans preceding it. In his opinion, the Z’s engine is a good one but one that isn’t as robust as the NA VQ. He said the Z should be fine if not abused. Occasionally doing hard pulls, acceleration runs without redlining it regularly should be alright. I said I thought abusing any engine would be catastrophic, but he said the red sport engine was more prone to problems from abuse than average. That info might be a bit more relevant any one owner’s anecdotal experience. Of course, the tech didn’t know anything about the changes made to the red sport’s engine for Z duty. Still, it gave me pause and gave me another reason to wait a year or three before buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts