Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wrong assumption- for a six-speed gearbox, fifth is usually 1:1 and sixth remains an overdrive. Nissan won't want to spend millions on recertifying the drivetrain alone.
OK, good to know. most American muscle 4th is 1:1 like the Tremec's - my TR6060 4th is 1:1 5th is a mild OD still pulls hard, when I did the Tranzilla build I shortened 5th so almost no RPM drop between 4th & 5th. The T56 is also 1:1 in 4th - these are the two most popular OEM transmissions on American Muscle. Are most JDM M6's 1:1 on 5th - that's interesting and I will have to think on that - maybe due to higher revving motor or rear end gear is 2 and change - again interesting and thank you for information.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Counting on the new Z to be faster right off the bat at this techy Buttonwillow, which tests performance AND chassis/suspension dynamics. Time attack 13CW config this past weekend track day.

Following friend’s ZL1.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I predict that the biggest gripe people are going to have with the Z35 will probably be with the VR30 becoming heat soaked. It's an issue on the Q's, and judging by the pics of the heat exchangers of the proto, it doesn't appear that Nissan has addressed that, at least in the proto

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Heat management is critical where I track, so I wonder what others are doing to prevent heat soak on the VR30. On the RB I know what to do. Any inputs welcome so I can prepare ahead of time. Thx.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm no VR30 expert. In passing, I have seen them say that larger front mount heat extractors, larger capacity expansion tank and higher volume cooling pumps help a lot. It'll set you back about $2K.....something to consider.

My use of the Z35 will be occasional blasts of WOT, so I likely wouldn't need those upgrades.

Check out AMS products.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts