1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Tire Sky Car Vehicle Wheel

2nd Place:
Nissan Z Performance

Highs: Engaging manual transmission, twin-turbo V-6 is willing and able, less cash outlay.
Lows:
Tires are easily overwhelmed, outdated interior with disappointing materials, shallow trunk space.
1st Place:
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium

Highs: Superb suspension tuning, pleasant ride quality, potent inline-six.
Lows:
Wince-inducing exterior styling, small cargo area, infotainment could be more intuitive.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
another knock on the Zs choice of tires

Z doesn't instill the same kind of confidence as the Supra. A lot of this can be attributed to the less capable tires that howl wildly when cornering. This is especially true on steep downhill sections where the front contact patches surrender their tenuous grip. At least the tire noise telegraphs that the Z will ignore your next request by running wide through the turn.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
another knock on the Zs choice of tires
Fortunately you can swap out a set of tires to fix that. Also it shouldn't be surprising that an automatic Supra out performed a manual Z in the race. Say what you will about BMW but they know how make a launch control.

Really interested to see how the Supra manual compares.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fortunately you can swap out a set of tires to fix that. Also it shouldn't be surprising that an automatic Supra out performed a manual Z in the race. Say what you will about BMW but they know how make a launch control.

Really interested to see how the Supra manual compares.
yeah I would like for this review to have been AT vs AT would have closed the acceleration gap a bit. and yes looking forward to the manual vs manual review also.

I agree on the tire swap. once I wear the S007's out I will go to michilen sports. but with that said I think if you are dropping 50K+ you shouldnt have to swap tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah I would like for this review to have been AT vs AT would have closed the acceleration gap a bit. and yes looking forward to the manual vs manual review also.

I agree on the tire swap. once I wear the S007's out I will go to michilen sports. but with that said I think if you are dropping 50K+ you shouldnt have to swap tires.
Yeah I really wish this review was auto vs auto, I don't think the comparison between the manual and Supra auto is really a good comparison.
I don't think this comparison was really worth the read since it was manual vs auto.

Agreed manual vs manual is a review I'm excited for.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Vehicles in the Z's class or lower don't often come with tires that let you stretch its abilities. I almost accepted that as being okay. Upgrading to something far more performance oriented was always in mind.

But if this was a performance focused car priced much higher it would be a real issue.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vehicles in the Z's class or lower don't often come with tires that let you stretch its abilities. I almost accepted that as being okay. Upgrading to something far more performance oriented was always in mind.

But if this was a performance focused car priced much higher it would be a real issue.

I agree to a point but there are 2 tire choices between the sport and performance. if the sport was falling short because of its Yokohama Advans. thats one thing but the performance is 10K more so I dont see why they couldnt have equipped the performance with something more comprable to the MPS being the supra at that trim level is priced realitively close.

I was watching jason cammisa talk about how hard he beat on the Z and went through 4 sets of rears so I trust what he says and he said the s007 loose grip instantly and there is no progression to let you know when they fall off at all. he said there are some bridgestones that would have done the job better if nissan was hell bent on going that brand. just seems like a reoccuring observation in reviews with the Z is the tire is is weak link. im going to hold judgement until I get seat time

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 7566

2nd Place:
Nissan Z Performance

Highs: Engaging manual transmission, twin-turbo V-6 is willing and able, less cash outlay.
Lows: Tires are easily overwhelmed, outdated interior with disappointing materials, shallow trunk space.
1st Place:
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium

Highs: Superb suspension tuning, pleasant ride quality, potent inline-six.
Lows: Wince-inducing exterior styling, small cargo area, infotainment could be more intuitive.
To channel one of Adam Sandler's bits a while back, what a frickin' unoriginal bastard kind of statement with the standard knock to all Nissan and Infiniti interiors of, "outdated interior with disappointing matierials".

It's the first damn year of production, ED. So it can't be outdated.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To channel one of Adam Sandler's bits a while back, what a frickin' unoriginal bastard kind of statement with the standard knock to all Nissan and Infiniti interiors of, "outdated interior with disappointing matierials".

It's the first damn year of production, ED. So it can't be outdated.
might mean the seats and the inner door skins as they are 370 carry overs.

a lot of people knock nissan for their use of a mix of screen and actual knobs/buttons but I like the physical HVAC ect. im not a fan of the everything is a tablet look some cars are going to

·
Registered
2 Posts
True, could be that. But it does get tiring seeing the same knock on every Nissan / Infiniti vehicle. They said the same about the new QX60, which has an awesome interior. They always compare to BMW and Audi, which their interiors always look plain and bland to me.

Yeah I like having physical buttons and knobs so I too, appreciate them using that design element. Case in point, if you're going for one of the touch controls, and happen to hit a bump at the same time, it jars your finger maybe to a completely different setting and control.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
might mean the seats and the inner door skins as they are 370 carry overs.

a lot of people knock nissan for their use of a mix of screen and actual knobs/buttons but I like the physical HVAC ect. im not a fan of the everything is a tablet look some cars are going to
Physical buttons all day everyday! Especially on a sports car. I don't want to be tapping through multiple windows to adjust the temperature or fan speed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
True, could be that. But it does get tiring seeing the same knock on every Nissan / Infiniti vehicle. They said the same about the new QX60, which has an awesome interior. They always compare to BMW and Audi, which their interiors always look plain and bland to me.

Yeah I like having physical buttons and knobs so I too, appreciate them using that design element. Case in point, if you're going for one of the touch controls, and happen to hit a bump at the same time, it jars your finger maybe to a completely different setting and control.
Welcome to the forum @twin_snails! Yeah for what you pay for BMW interiors have been the blandest out of the German trio of them, Audi, and Mercedes. Also, in the context of the Supra it's just weird seeing a Z4 interior inside something with a Toyota badge.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome to the forum @twin_snails! Yeah for what you pay for BMW interiors have been the blandest out of the German trio of them, Audi, and Mercedes. Also, in the context of the Supra it's just weird seeing a Z4 interior inside something with a Toyota badge.
What’s weirder is seeing a Toyota badge on a Z4.

I wish Toyota had made a Supra so I’d have something else to consider for what will likely be the last manual transmission sports car I buy in this life. That said, not even having driven it, I know I’d be happy with a Z as I’m currently driving a G37S Coupe 6MT which I love despite its imperfections and I know the Z will surpass it in every way with the exception of exhaust sound.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

I wish Toyota had made a Supra so I’d have something else to consider for what will likely be the last manual transmission sports car I buy in this life. That said, not even having driven it, I know I’d be happy with a Z as I’m currently driving a G37S Coupe 6MT which I love despite its imperfections and I know the Z will surpass it in every way with the exception of exhaust sound.
BMW was better off turning down Toyota and just offering an M Coupe, because that's what the Supra is.
And ever since the M Coupe died, so many people wanted it to return.

·
Registered
252 Posts
BMW was better off turning down Toyota and just offering an M Coupe, because that's what the Supra is.
I disagree. Toyota wasn’t better off if you mean financially. Tiny Mazda debuted its TT inline six - one they developed in-house - which will be used across platforms to spread costs. If Mazda can do it, Toyota could’ve done the same, profitably without question. By updating their TT inline six for a real Supra as well as for Lexus F-Sport sedans, SUV’s and sports cars, plus a serious six-figure Japanese “supercar” to rival the GTR, Cayman/911, C8, etc., Toyota could’ve legitimized their more sporting intentions and broadened the appeal of their premium brand without changing that which was already working for their best-selling models. Lexi are viewed as soft by customers of the German brands. If Lexus had gone hard with the above mentioned Toyota (or Yamaha) engine, they would’ve substantively added customers without losing a single one. The world became a crazy place after the MKIV left us and a looks-challenged BMW Supra is just another sign of the times.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Even weirder was when BMW issued a recall on the Supra haha. The Z's fun factor should make a lot of people ignore any shortcomings they find with the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts