1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Tire Sky Car Vehicle Wheel

2nd Place:
Nissan Z Performance

Highs: Engaging manual transmission, twin-turbo V-6 is willing and able, less cash outlay.
Lows:
Tires are easily overwhelmed, outdated interior with disappointing materials, shallow trunk space.
1st Place:
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium

Highs: Superb suspension tuning, pleasant ride quality, potent inline-six.
Lows:
Wince-inducing exterior styling, small cargo area, infotainment could be more intuitive.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
another knock on the Zs choice of tires

Z doesn't instill the same kind of confidence as the Supra. A lot of this can be attributed to the less capable tires that howl wildly when cornering. This is especially true on steep downhill sections where the front contact patches surrender their tenuous grip. At least the tire noise telegraphs that the Z will ignore your next request by running wide through the turn.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fortunately you can swap out a set of tires to fix that. Also it shouldn't be surprising that an automatic Supra out performed a manual Z in the race. Say what you will about BMW but they know how make a launch control.

Really interested to see how the Supra manual compares.
yeah I would like for this review to have been AT vs AT would have closed the acceleration gap a bit. and yes looking forward to the manual vs manual review also.

I agree on the tire swap. once I wear the S007's out I will go to michilen sports. but with that said I think if you are dropping 50K+ you shouldnt have to swap tires.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vehicles in the Z's class or lower don't often come with tires that let you stretch its abilities. I almost accepted that as being okay. Upgrading to something far more performance oriented was always in mind.

But if this was a performance focused car priced much higher it would be a real issue.

I agree to a point but there are 2 tire choices between the sport and performance. if the sport was falling short because of its Yokohama Advans. thats one thing but the performance is 10K more so I dont see why they couldnt have equipped the performance with something more comprable to the MPS being the supra at that trim level is priced realitively close.

I was watching jason cammisa talk about how hard he beat on the Z and went through 4 sets of rears so I trust what he says and he said the s007 loose grip instantly and there is no progression to let you know when they fall off at all. he said there are some bridgestones that would have done the job better if nissan was hell bent on going that brand. just seems like a reoccuring observation in reviews with the Z is the tire is is weak link. im going to hold judgement until I get seat time

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To channel one of Adam Sandler's bits a while back, what a frickin' unoriginal bastard kind of statement with the standard knock to all Nissan and Infiniti interiors of, "outdated interior with disappointing matierials".

It's the first damn year of production, ED. So it can't be outdated.
might mean the seats and the inner door skins as they are 370 carry overs.

a lot of people knock nissan for their use of a mix of screen and actual knobs/buttons but I like the physical HVAC ect. im not a fan of the everything is a tablet look some cars are going to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts