Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of Japanese YouTubers headed to the Nissan Pavilion in Yokohama to visit the Z Proto that's on display. From the english subtitles they notice a lot fo similarities with the 370Z.
  • They measured the wheelbase and found it's the same as the 370Z (100.3 inches).
  • They saw that the front and rear suspension look to be the same as the 370Z.
  • They also noticed some of the trim pieces are the same as the 370Z
Take a look and see for yourself

·
Registered
185 Posts
Someone that commented on that video summed it up very well by saying "Remember when people say older cars were better and that they should just remake the old cars wkth new tec? NISSAN HEARD"
But people will always complain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Someone that commented on that video summed it up very well by saying "Remember when people say older cars were better and that they should just remake the old cars wkth new tec? NISSAN HEARD"
But people will always complain.
Yeah in this day and age you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If the price stays low because of this then I have no problems.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Hmm, I can deal with mid-50K or so for the Nismo or Track if this is true, and they addressed the few shortcomings of the 370Z. Suspension design is proven already. But if over 60K, don't think it's worth it, no new technology.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had thought this had already been established a while back, even before the proto had come out ? Its pretty obvious, even in the photos without needing to see it up close.

I never thought it being a bad thing that Nissan used the 370z Chassis.
Z34 drives great, suspension, brakes and transmission are good and a lot of parts have already been long since developed - We cant go wrong, its a very proven chassis.

It makes perfect sense because we all know Nissan are not in a good financial spot at the moment. This is a way more cost effective way to bring something new to the Z.
New interior, exterior design and engine is about all that's really needed to make this car feel and drive very different. Regardless of it being built on an older chassis.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had thought this had already been established a while back, even before the proto had come out ? Its pretty obvious, even in the photos without needing to see it up close.

I never thought it being a bad thing that Nissan used the 370z Chassis.
Z34 drives great, suspension, brakes and transmission are good and a lot of parts have already been long since developed - We cant go wrong, its a very proven chassis.

It makes perfect sense because we all know Nissan are not in a good financial spot at the moment. This is a way more cost effective way to bring something new to the Z.
New interior, exterior design and engine is about all that's really needed to make this car feel and drive very different. Regardless of it being built on an older chassis.
It also makes perfect sense for Nissan's entire brand strategy going forward.

The new focus is on sportier products... even with crossovers like the Ariya:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Absolutely, Nissan needed to repurpose the Z34 platform and some of the underpinnings in order to make financial sense of this new generation. Nothing wrong with that. However, this is all to say that Nissan will have a difficult time justifying a massive price increase for the new Z. They basically played Legos with existing components (seemingly, to great effect (y)) which, even if individually pricier in some cases, don't lend well to a huge price jump (say, over 30%) overall.

I thought that the whole "democratizing the sports car" thing was still the purpose of Z cars. This needs to be less expensive than a comparable Supra.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Absolutely, Nissan needed to repurpose the Z34 platform and some of the underpinnings in order to make financial sense of this new generation. Nothing wrong with that. However, this is all to say that Nissan will have a difficult time justifying a massive price increase for the new Z. They basically played Legos with existing components (seemingly, to great effect (y)) which, even if individually pricier in some cases, don't lend well to a huge price jump (say, over 30%) overall.

I thought that the whole "democratizing the sports car" thing was still the purpose of Z cars. This needs to be less expensive than a comparable Supra.
If they go through all these lengths and they still price at the same or more (god forbid) than the Supra then it's a huge setback for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, a massive setback.

The basic point of repurposing so much of the existing platform was to make this vehicle financially plausible to produce, of course, but the net effect must be that the vehicle comes in at a lower entry price point than the comparable Supra. This car cannot start in the mid 40's, even, in my opinion, unless it comes with basically everything as standard kit (Sport Pack, Tech Pack, Big Brake Kit, 19" Alloys, Carbon Fiber Kit, etc). And that isn't going to happen, nor should it.

If the entry-level model were in the low $40K range, as some have rather baselessly suggested, then by the time you outfit the vehicle with comparable optional equipment to what comes standard on the base Supra 3.0, you will likely be at virtually the identical price point (a hair over $50K) - that model already comes standard with the BBK, adaptive suspension, 19" wheels, variable mode exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh, a massive setback.

The basic point of repurposing so much of the existing platform was to make this vehicle financially plausible to produce, of course, but the net effect must be that the vehicle comes in at a lower entry price point than the comparable Supra. This car cannot start in the mid 40's, even, in my opinion, unless it comes with basically everything as standard kit (Sport Pack, Tech Pack, Big Brake Kit, 19" Alloys, Carbon Fiber Kit, etc). And that isn't going to happen, nor should it.

If the entry-level model were in the low $40K range, as some have rather baselessly suggested, then by the time you outfit the vehicle with comparable optional equipment to what comes standard on the base Supra 3.0, you will likely be at virtually the identical price point (a hair over $50K) - that model already comes standard with the BBK, adaptive suspension, 19" wheels, variable mode exhaust, etc.
I was under the impression that this would start at a reasonable bump up in price from the outgoing Z. Anything beyond that and Nissan will begin to lose people but at least unlike Toyota, sales volume should be consistently good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm hoping it's no more than 20% more expensive than the current Z. If Nissan is able to deliver that, I think they've got a hit on their hands. (y)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
A local Nissan dealer has a Nismo at $52k with some markup included, still crazy high. The new might sticker at $55k but hoping no more. It’s that 400 hp giving Nissan the open playing field. Let’s see where this ends up...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm hoping it's no more than 20% more expensive than the current Z. If Nissan is able to deliver that, I think they've got a hit on their hands. (y)
A local Nissan dealer has a Nismo at $52k with some markup included, still crazy high. The new might sticker at $55k but hoping no more. It’s that 400 hp giving Nissan the open playing field. Let’s see where this ends up...
If true, I hope that's just for a top of the range Z. Nissan should sell some trims below it with a basemodel Z that starts from 39-40k. That positions it at a reasonable margin above the Miata and Toyota 86.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss
9 Posts
Its not uncommon for prototypes and concepts to use existing components for their running models. It really depends how close to production this prototype is. It could be they are using this as a styling exercise on the existing chassis just to show it off while they develop the end product more. I've heard various things from this will be a 2021 launch as a 2022 model to we won't have production until 2023, so I really have no idea where this stands.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its not uncommon for prototypes and concepts to use existing components for their running models. It really depends how close to production this prototype is. It could be they are using this as a styling exercise on the existing chassis just to show it off while they develop the end product more. I've heard various things from this will be a 2021 launch as a 2022 model to we won't have production until 2023, so I really have no idea where this stands.
From the looks of things there's not a lot that will change from the Proto to the Production model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts