Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all has to do with the fact that the base Z doesn't come with a limited slip differential, and I'm curious if you can add one without spending the extra $10k on a top trim model.

So I assume the answer is yes. I remember back in my Honda tuning days guys used to swap in an LSD from a Japanese model Civic or something into the ones we got there.

So the first question is: is it possible

The second question is: where would you get something like this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Seems like a good opportunity for a NISMO part. Probably unnecessary, but I'd pay extra for a Nissan-supplied part that didn't mess with my warranty.
It sure does for something higher tolerance than what's currently offered, I just hope we don't experience the level of popping, jerking, and clunking noises that 370 guys did. But certain grades of differential fluid did seem to help, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This reminds me of the situation Ford had with the new Bronco. Order holders wanted them to add the "Sasquatch Package" (35-inch all-terrain tires and a 1.2-inch lift) to the manual models and after enough pushback Ford made it available. Hopefully something similar happens with Nissan and the LSD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was thinking of doing a similar thing, there are definitely things in the Performance I do and don't care about.
But at the end of the day, paying $$$ to get an LSD in the Sport and potentially mess with warranty doesn't sound worth it over the $10k extra for the Performance.
Also it's not a dumb question. Great question, it's dumb that Nissan opted for Open-diff, and even dumber that we have no mid level trim, just a $10k gap if you want an LSD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This all has to do with the fact that the base Z doesn't come with a limited slip differential, and I'm curious if you can add one without spending the extra $10k on a top trim model.

So I assume the answer is yes. I remember back in my Honda tuning days guys used to swap in an LSD from a Japanese model Civic or something into the ones we got there.

So the first question is: is it possible

The second question is: where would you get something like this?
That's why it is the BASE model. You get what you pay for

·
Registered
60 Posts
100% possible. We need to know if the drive terrain is from a Z34. Or if it is q50/60 drive terrain? We already maybe know? Regardless, Z1 has LSD for both platforms. It’s as easy as spending the money. And having someone install it and make sure it’s shimmed right. Which Z1 sells the shim kit.
I got an aftermarket LSD put in my Z33. And Q50. And Q60. All from Z1. Had a local shop install it. All said and done was about 2500-2800 total with install. Well worth it. And never had a problem.
I’m personally gonna get the base. Get an aftermarket LSD. And any Akebono brakes off either a Z34. Or Q series. They are a dime a dozen these days. Get 2 piece rotors from Z1. With that and an LSD installed you will spend close to 5K. Then u will have the other 5K for more mods :p

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
100% possible. We need to know if the drive terrain is from a Z34. Or if it is q50/60 drive terrain? We already maybe know? Regardless, Z1 has LSD for both platforms. It’s as easy as spending the money. And having someone install it and make sure it’s shimmed right. Which Z1 sells the shim kit.
I got an aftermarket LSD put in my Z33. And Q50. And Q60. All from Z1. Had a local shop install it. All said and done was about 2500-2800 total with install. Well worth it. And never had a problem.
I’m personally gonna get the base. Get an aftermarket LSD. And any Akebono brakes off either a Z34. Or Q series. They are a dime a dozen these days. Get 2 piece rotors from Z1. With that and an LSD installed you will spend close to 5K. Then u will have the other 5K for more mods :p
That's 5k well spent, what other mods would you do with the 5k left over?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i personally plan on doing suspension. And a nice turbo back exhaust. And a HE. I already got wheels done. A HE is a must. The heat soak was unreal on my Q60. And that was on stock boost. I couldn’t imagine when I was boosting 21lbs
That's a good start.
What suspension mods are you looking to do? (springs, coilovers, sway bars, etc.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts