Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the best thing about this video was it provided me with a nice little screen shot to post anytime some one says oh I cant believe you are getting the automatic :ROFLMAO:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
If my simrig virtual driving is anything to go by, despite the accel deficit I will far enjoy rowing through an actual gearbox...but the the video has me thinking the driving experience vs performance and convenience. Hitherto I've been extolling the Z for offering 6MT and I having had paddle shift performance car before I certainly felt less engaged on the road. On a track day, I pretty busy focussing on braking points and cornering that I just left it sports auto, even the paddles seemed to overload me at times.😄
Automotive design Gas Wood Machine Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 1/4 mile discrepancy is pretty big mainly due to the advantageous gearing on the 8 speed, not to mention the extra time it takes to shift the manual. But they also mentioned tires I wonder how much time was lost by less than sticky tires and would the manual close the gap with better traction? I'm assuming the launch mode is able to better manage the lack of grip on the auto more easily due to programmed shift points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think under better conditions we could see people knocking a few tenths off this 1/4 mile. More or less it appears to essentially match the Supra's straight line acceleration, with a bit worse off the line grip. Curious which will handle better.

·
Super Moderator
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree just because the interior shot of the Z's dash showed traction control coming on. that is a tenth or 2 right there with everything else being equal

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think under better conditions we could see people knocking a few tenths off this 1/4 mile. More or less it appears to essentially match the Supra's straight line acceleration, with a bit worse off the line grip. Curious which will handle better.
Welcome to the forum. Better wheels and tires would be a good start, that alone could easily shave off some tenths.
Did you already order a new Z? Nice 300ZX in your avatar!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 1/4 mile discrepancy is pretty big mainly due to the advantageous gearing on the 8 speed, not to mention the extra time it takes to shift the manual. But they also mentioned tires I wonder how much time was lost by less than sticky tires and would the manual close the gap with better traction? I'm assuming the launch mode is able to better manage the lack of grip on the auto more easily due to programmed shift points.
Manual has no lift shift capabilities so honestly there isn't a whole lot of time loss when shifting. The 9 speed automatic really is just putting down the power better likely. And your right that launch mode is a huge advantage. At the end of the day straight line will always be better. It's great to see this though because the old 7spd auto for the 370z didn't perform anything like this when compared to the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Better wheels and tires would be a good start, that alone could easily shave off some tenths.
Did you already order a new Z? Nice 300ZX in your avatar!

Thanks. Not yet, probably wait till next year. Currently daily a Q50 Red Sport 400, and will have to sell one of my toys before ordering the new Z (and it won't be the 300ZX).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts