Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I find this hard to believe.

There aren't many LEDs that can match a 35W HID, let alone a 55W HID. Did you test the output with an illuminance meter?
The GTI he had used the typical hid bulb, most of us GTI owners believed these headlights were remarkably poor likely due to being cheaply made, and they seemed to be aimed way too low (that's why I reprogrammed mine).

I agree his Ram doesn't put out 5x more light, it probably just exaggeration.

My truck uses the same hid bulbs as my GTI did, and the truck feels like it's 3x brighter. I'm sure it wouldn't meter out that way, but trucks have an advantage with higher headlights

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know exactly how much brighter the truck is, but it's way, way brighter. All of the HID's I've had have not been as bright as these LED's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The headlights appear to be dual-beam. Between the DRL/indicators are both a small hemispherical projector, and a horizontal projector.

One would assume that the horizontal element is likely a multi-emitter high-beam, or a fog beam.

Either way the hemispherical projector is likely a high-low projector, aside from the supplemental high beam or fog beam.

BI-LED: MORIMOTO M LED 2.0
This is an aftermarket retrofit LED projector unit from Morimoto, but likely similar technology to an OEM bi-LED projector, and OEM specs and information is more proprietary, and not publicized.

I would not discount the possibility of the LED headlights being pretty good, just because they are LED, rather than HID. More of the difference probably comes from the reflector assembly and optical refractor being designed and implemented correctly around the light source, than the light source itself. LED and HID are different, but both are effective emitters.

And if all else fails... there is a lot of grille area to find a place to install some auxiliary lighting, if needed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Z32 has a similar design, but the projector is strictly low beam and the horizontal lamp is high.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great. I can look forward to fogging lenses from the Florida sun...:confused::confused:
Yeah, I hear you.
I leave my 15 year old Titan outside it's whole life. I need to spend at least a few hours every year de-fogging the plastic covers.
I will say, I was a bit lucky, didn't need to do that until 3 years ago. But it sure does make a vehicle look like crap.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts