Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've read somewhere that auto manufacturing should start ramping up of winter as the supply chains should become less of an issue. Can't remember where I saw it but hopefully it's true.

Also, I can't see them adding a $20k ADM, that would price the car way out of its league and there'd be no reason to get it over competitors in that price range. Maybe $10k ADM.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've read somewhere that auto manufacturing should start ramping up of winter as the supply chains should become less of an issue. Can't remember where I saw it but hopefully it's true.

Also, I can't see them adding a $20k ADM, that would price the car way out of its league and there'd be no reason to get it over competitors in that price range. Maybe $10k ADM.
It also helps to note that the Z as a halo gives them more flexibility since it's not meant to do anything special for Nissans bottom line. It's expected this could cost them money. So hopefully that push from Nissan corp will help cool ADM's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With supply shortages in nearly every sector and industry , the recent demand for cars making it a sellers market, and the hype and interest for a new Z car after more than a decade , realistically how likely is it to be not only able to even find a 2023 Z in 2022 at all, but never mind in the trim/color/interior color you want?

Im not trying to be a pessimist, but also trying to moderate my expectations. I have a 2004 350z that to this day I love, getting it in 2007 when I was 24 years only was one of the best moments of my life, and even though it was used with 38k miles on it, it was the top of the line trim in the exact color I wanted. I was perfect in my eyes.

I never liked the 370z. To me it lacked the smooth lines of its predecessors and looked like a frog. But man this New Z.... its beautiful . Even my wife who always hated my 350z loves it for its retro 80s vibe. I honestly can't wait to get it. My dream would be performance trim in blue exterior and interior , but I'm starting to feel it will be 2 years or more before I even find one available for sale AND not marked up to something ridiculous like $60k. I've seen a 2021 Honda Civic SI going for $47k recently because of scarcity. A Honda civic.

Realistically, when do you think most of us who want a new Z will be able to get the one we want?
Here is a reality check-

I ordered my new Bronco the day the Ford site when live w/ reservations in July 2020 w/ published delivery of April May 2021
Ford keeps pushing us out (if we decide to hold out for the trim package we want (ie. you can pull your date in a little bit w/ a soft top vs hard top for example)
My new build (anticipated date) is April/May 2022.
I sold my 718 to generate funds
I am driving a diesel as a daily which is killing me
which got me looking for another sports car
which got me here
and a bit excited.
Truthfully-- I'd say best case MY2023 for a Z

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is a reality check-

I ordered my new Bronco the day the Ford site when live w/ reservations in July 2020 w/ published delivery of April May 2021
Ford keeps pushing us out (if we decide to hold out for the trim package we want (ie. you can pull your date in a little bit w/ a soft top vs hard top for example)
My new build (anticipated date) is April/May 2022.
I sold my 718 to generate funds
I am driving a diesel as a daily which is killing me
which got me looking for another sports car
which got me here
and a bit excited.
Truthfully-- I'd say best case MY2023 for a Z
I don't think the Bronco/Z comparison is a fair one. Ford has cracked what, 125k+ orders? It also appeals to a much wider audience, I don't think Ford expected such a high demand for it, not to mention how many different trims they have to build, and of course factor in the supply chain woes/timing of the launch - early days of the pandemic, etc.

This car is much more niche, and I would imagine Nissan has both learned from their headaches as well as found ways to more accurately gauge interest on it, whether it be forums like this, or people contacting dealers, or signing up for notifications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the Bronco/Z comparison is a fair one. Ford has cracked what, 125k+ orders? It also appeals to a much wider audience, I don't think Ford expected such a high demand for it, not to mention how many different trims they have to build, and of course factor in the supply chain woes/timing of the launch - early days of the pandemic, etc.

This car is much more niche, and I would imagine Nissan has both learned from their headaches as well as found ways to more accurately gauge interest on it, whether it be forums like this, or people contacting dealers, or signing up for notifications.
Understood--I hope not, but between supply chain issues (Chip shortages) -I actually work as an Ops Mgr for a Semi conductor company........in Global Supply Chain, and can attest, it isn't going to get any better any time soon. We are trying to tool up, but the lead time is crazy. Labor: There are ships off LA/Long Beach that have been moored for weeks because of limited resources to unload/truck. Then the fight for a car from dealers/etc is another hurdle, and finally inflation that is out of control at +5% will impact potential inventory/buyers. The best advice I can give: get in, order ASAP, reserve a spot regardless..............Ford is honoring 2020 pricing, so that is a "win".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Understood--I hope not, but between supply chain issues (Chip shortages) -I actually work as an Ops Mgr for a Semi conductor company........in Global Supply Chain, and can attest, it isn't going to get any better any time soon. We are trying to tool up, but the lead time is crazy. Labor: There are ships off LA/Long Beach that have been moored for weeks because of limited resources to unload/truck. Then the fight for a car from dealers/etc is another hurdle, and finally inflation that is out of control at +5% will impact potential inventory/buyers. The best advice I can give: get in, order ASAP, reserve a spot regardless..............Ford is honoring 2020 pricing, so that is a "win".
I mean, my optimism might be misplaced, but I'm trying to look at it as objectively as possible and hope that Nissan isn't going to butt fumble this, or try to prevent as many variables from steering this in the wrong direction as possible. They've made some great strides in the right direction in terms of bringing the brand back, so hopefully that'll carry over into these new launches.

Definitely appreciate the insight into the semiconductor stuff - honestly, not surprised it's gonna suck for awhile. I'm of the mindset, with no evidence of course, that Nissan delayed the car to be a 2023 model to help alleviate some of these woes as much as they can.

And yeah, good on Ford - sorry to hear your wait has been extended multiple times. Can only imagine how frustrating that is.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also work in electronics manufacturing industry (used to work in semiconductor industry) and there's more shortages than chips going on.
We are having a difficult time getting wire to build harnesses.
Connectors have become an issue also, we're getting lead times of mid-2022 for common connector housings.

A few other notes: The "free money" is being turned off in many places, fortunately our current regime decided against extending handouts (surprisingly) so MAYBE people will get back to work? About half of our business issues stem from labor issues, especially with truck drivers and warehouse workers, there's lots of items stuck in shipping. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Keep an eye on China, if they go after Taiwan, that'll be a much bigger supply chain issue than the pandemic was, and Xi JinPing is determined to take Taiwan under his tenure. He may be patient, but he's not getting any younger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Bronco / Z comparison is apples to oranges. This hype and demand everyone is worried about will translate to like 6,000 sales in the first year, being generous. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the Bronco.

Obviously Nissan's ability to produce that many Z's is what will affect potential mark-ups. Hopefully they can cank them out to help keep ADM's down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With supply shortages in nearly every sector and industry , the recent demand for cars making it a sellers market, and the hype and interest for a new Z car after more than a decade , realistically how likely is it to be not only able to even find a 2023 Z in 2022 at all, but never mind in the trim/color/interior color you want?

Im not trying to be a pessimist, but also trying to moderate my expectations. I have a 2004 350z that to this day I love, getting it in 2007 when I was 24 years only was one of the best moments of my life, and even though it was used with 38k miles on it, it was the top of the line trim in the exact color I wanted. I was perfect in my eyes.

I never liked the 370z. To me it lacked the smooth lines of its predecessors and looked like a frog. But man this New Z.... its beautiful . Even my wife who always hated my 350z loves it for its retro 80s vibe. I honestly can't wait to get it. My dream would be performance trim in blue exterior and interior , but I'm starting to feel it will be 2 years or more before I even find one available for sale AND not marked up to something ridiculous like $60k. I've seen a 2021 Honda Civic SI going for $47k recently because of scarcity. A Honda civic.

Realistically, when do you think most of us who want a new Z will be able to get the one we want?
My thoughts exactly as far as availability of the car considering the chip shortage throughout the industry. I'm thinking there won't be a new Z in my garage until late 2023/ early 2024.
That being said, regardless of good intentions in engineering and factory testing, I never buy the first year of production for anything I buy. Sometimes and even with the best of factory intentions, simple design flaws and the simplest driver desires may have been overlooked and as a result, the second year of production addresses and corrects these issues. Testing in controlled environments and performed by professional drivers is one thing, but the true tests reveal actual results with the everyday conditions and driving skills of the every day owner. One thing I will never do is pay sticker price and on top of that, a ripoff dealer markup just to have bragging rights of being the first kid in the neighborhood to have a new Z. Quite frankly, and at the risk of sounding aggressive, anybody who pays a dealer premium and thinks it's ok deserves the extra charge. If people would just let the cars sit at a dealer or refuse to order one with a dealer premium attached, you can bet your life the dealers would forget about the upcharge and be willing to negotiate a reasonable amount off the sticker. I waited until the 3rd year of production of the new Camaro until I bought one (2012) for the reasons mentioned and as a result, was a very happy Smurf.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Good input and insights, thanks! Looking grim for any supply chain, I can't imagine what these Nissan dealers will play with ADM, scary. Waiting game might be necessary for a year or two. I have close dealings with the bike industry since I ride for a shop team. Same long waits on both bikes and components.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its pretty much stock. Unfortunately a year ago I rear ended someone (his car barely had a scratch) but my car was damaged all way to radiator . I honestly didn't think it was too bad but insurance said it was a total loss because it would cost more than the $6500 it appraised for. So they offered me the value of the car and I had to declare it as "salvage" even though I ended up fixing even better than it was before. I got K&N cool air induction and a much better radiator than OEM but other than that all stock. I doubt I can even sell it despite how good it looks and drives. Oh well.
What regulatory issues ? I live in CA and supposedly by 2030 all cars will need to be electric or something like that
That's good that you were able to get it fixed and you still have it!

If I remember it right, the 2030 ban in california is for new car sales. But when they say "electric" or "electrified" that includes plug-in hybrids because they can be driven in full electric mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's good that you were able to get it fixed and you still have it!

If I remember it right, the 2030 ban in california is for new car sales. But when they say "electric" or "electrified" that includes plug-in hybrids because they can be driven in full electric mode.
Yet another reason to want to move out of CA. This pretty much kills any market for sports cars in CA.

Well, just got to get a Z before 2030 I guess. I've had my 350z for 14 years now so the new Z I can keep for that long too

Edit: does this apply to out of state purchases? Meaning can I still buy a non electric car in Arizona and use it in CA?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Regarding EV-only legislation being implemented in certain States, I think most will need to push this legislation/mandates out by at least a decade.

There are way too many affordable ICE vehicles being driven by low income people. These affordable ICE vehicles can be kept on the road for a long time, most only slowly deteriorate and can be repaired cheaply. Most EV vehicles, by the time they reach affordability on the used car market will be dealing with serious battery pack issues that can kill the car, becoming a serious burden to the lower-end vehicle market and low income drivers.

Heck, I live in a relatively affluent area of the PNW, and I realized that 2/3 of the cars I saw driving in the early morning (watching oncoming vehicles on I-5) have halogen headlights. Only 1/3 of the cars have LED or HID headlights, meaning most drivers are driving lower end and/or older vehicles. HID and LED headlights have been out for a very long time, and 2030 is only 8 years out. Looking at how many older cars are on the road, I highly doubt these ambitious EV legislation and mandates can actually be enacted in such a short time.

I also believe most States with ambitious EV legislation are only targeting sales, there's been no talk of statewide bans of ICE vehicles on the roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Regarding EV-only legislation being implemented in certain States, I think most will need to push this legislation/mandates out by at least a decade.

There are way too many affordable ICE vehicles being driven by low income people. These affordable ICE vehicles can be kept on the road for a long time, most only slowly deteriorate and can be repaired cheaply. Most EV vehicles, by the time they reach affordability on the used car market will be dealing with serious battery pack issues that can kill the car, becoming a serious burden to the lower-end vehicle market and low income drivers.

Heck, I live in a relatively affluent area of the PNW, and I realized that 2/3 of the cars I saw driving in the early morning (watching oncoming vehicles on I-5) have halogen headlights. Only 1/3 of the cars have LED or HID headlights, meaning most drivers are driving lower end and/or older vehicles. HID and LED headlights have been out for a very long time, and 2030 is only 8 years out. Looking at how many older cars are on the road, I highly doubt these ambitious EV legislation and mandates can actually be enacted in such a short time.

I also believe most States with ambitious EV legislation are only targeting sales, there's been no talk of statewide bans of ICE vehicles on the roads.
I hope that's the case, so we can still buy cars like the Z out of state and use it in states like CA

·
Registered
644 Posts

Yeah I don't think any state is banning ICE vehicles sales or banning ICE vehicles in general. The focus for any of these proposals is on new cars.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts