Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
When do you guys think Nissan dealers will accept reservations ?
It'll largely depend upon the planned unveiling schedule. I'd like to think prior to the end of this summer but if they wait until Q4 for the reveal it wouldn't happen until closer to year-end, which would be disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
When do you guys think Nissan dealers will accept reservations ?
That's up to the individual dealer and is totally different from when nissan will accept orders and hand out allocations to dealers. I would expect not until official pricing is released for the latter. But yeah if it's the right dealer you could get something in writing right now between you and them. It wouldn't be from nissan just an agreement with the dealer

·
Registered
326 Posts
I’m still wondering whether or not there’ll be an entry level model with the 300 hp (or more) of the base version of the Infiniti engine, or if the base model will be the full 400hp+ engine in an otherwise de-contented vehicle as has been the case with the 370Z.

As for the inevitable Nismo version, if things hold true to form, I just can’t see Nissan giving the Z brakes from the flagship GT-R which costs more than twice as much as a Nismo Z.
Nissan should if they want to get closer to targeting anyone from the 86/BRZ crowd with the means buy a Z at less of a margin.
Toyota did sort of try this with the 2.0T Supra.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Nissan should if they want to get closer to targeting anyone from the 86/BRZ crowd with the means buy a Z at less of a margin.
Toyota did sort of try this with the 2.0T Supra.
Realistically, no, Nissan should not target that crowd and should not have any variant less than the outgoing 370Z. You can see that the 2.0T Supra failed miserably. The new Z should compete with the top Supra, Cayman/S, and I'm even hoping with top level Camaro and Mustang offerings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
those DO look like the Akebonos and from what I remember they were heavy.
Akebonos are relatively light. Maybe not as light as some hyper-expensive calipers, but far lighter than cast steel calipers.

I should know, I swapped out the original cast steel calipers on my Q60 for Akebonos, they seemed approx. half the weight.

For the hopefully modest anticipated pricing of this car, the Akebonos are absolutely appropriate!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The akebonos are just fine with me. I know a lot of 300Zx guys switch to the akebonos. Actually , the guy I sold my 300zx to, decided to install red ones. I just hope they say “Z” or Nissan on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I'm going to wait several months before I buy. When they start moving a little slower, I won't have to worry about getting exactly what I want at a decent price.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Akebonos are relatively light. Maybe not as light as some hyper-expensive calipers, but far lighter than cast steel calipers.

I should know, I swapped out the original cast steel calipers on my Q60 for Akebonos, they seemed approx. half the weight.

For the hopefully modest anticipated pricing of this car, the Akebonos are absolutely appropriate!
Hopefully this is addressed on the new Z, i.e. not an Akebono design issue. I haven't followed up on current updates but we can't have the incident below. New Z's huge grille hopefully channels cooling ducts properly. Important since I will track it 5-10 times a year.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Hopefully this is addressed on the new Z, i.e. not an Akebono design issue. I haven't followed up on current updates but we can't have the incident below. New Z's huge grille hopefully channels cooling ducts properly. Important since I will track it 5-10 times a year.

I remember reading that and I thought it was troubling expecially because VIR is my home track and compared to other tracks is actually not as brake intensive as some.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
If Nissan's smart they'll open reservations immediately after they reveal the production model.
Would make sense to capitalize on peak hype. I already got my deal set up with my local dealer

·
Registered
79 Posts

That was 11 years ago!

Yes, this issue has been greatly mitigated in the last few years.
Akebono released much better pads, and if you use a higher DOT brake fluid you reduce the likelihood of boiling the brake fluid.
I would still say Akebonos may not be the best choice for track use, but if a Nismo is offered with GTR brakes, wouldn't you lean towards that anyways?

I have Akebonos with OEM-spec Akebono pads and DOT3 brake fluid in my over 3800 pound AWD Q60, and they are just fine on the street or fast-running canyon roads. However, I have been able to overheat them once when being super-belligerent with them, and I can definitely see how someone could get into trouble at the track.

I have considered the upgraded Akebono pads and DOT4 or better fluid, but I just never beat on my Q60 like that, it's obviously not a track car. But with Akebonos and 295 rear and 255 front tires it stops extremely well, and I would be happy with them in a street Z, as I never track.

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
if a Nismo is offered with GTR brakes, wouldn't you lean towards that anyways?
The problem only real problem with the GTR brakes is even though they have great stopping power ( despite a softer pedal feel than you would expect) the drilled rotors can crack really easily with track use. A lot of GTR track guys go aftermarket slotted or J hook for way cheaper than OEM replacements. these issues might not be apples to apples if these were run on a Z as they would be stopping about 450lbs less weight. Ive personally never had any issues with those brakes other than some cosmetic only cracks but the maintenance could be a little high if they decided to throw some leftover GTR Brembos on a NISMO Z.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Guess I'll have to see what's offered and some initial track testing done. Right away will use ATE Blues and track-ready pads, and hoping it comes with slotted, not drilled (prone to cracks), rotors. This is actually my biggest worry on the new Z, hoping they eliminated any brake fade/cooling issues right off the bat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I'm going to wait several months before I buy. When they start moving a little slower, I won't have to worry about getting exactly what I want at a decent price.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Hmm, interesting, more details sounding more realistic. Sport and Nismo will get Brembos, great! I wonder when the Nismo will be unveiled and available. That ST pkg projected to be around $45K means Nismo will be in the $50-55K range, still not bad if performance backs it up.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Per Houston.Z35's post, interesting.... Orange like Sunset Orange?

Oh yeah, colors.

All 2020 370Z colors will carry over for the first year with additions of Yellow and that new Orange they are so proud of.

They are going all in with the 240Z nostalgia on this one so don't be shocked if we see some "Heritage" colors down the line.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts