Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this article that GM Authority posted about the Z's reveal on August 17 and they suggest it's going to be a rival to the Camaro and Corvette.

I get the Camaro comparison since the Camaro is on its way out of the GM lineup again but a Corvette rival? That seems like a bit of a stretch I don't see a lot of people cross shopping both cars.

·
0 Posts
Camaro is Pony car class...Mustang, Charger...

If compared to Corvette, that doesn't make sense or even does Chev any good. Corvette is mid-engined, non-turbo, and really, who really believes you can get one for 54k?

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
The new Z51 Corvette stingray is (sadly) as fast as a 212k GTR NISMO. Can't compare that to a Z. Mustang and Camaro not a direct comparison in my mind but 35-40k 400hp sports cars it hard to avoid lumping them in the same convo as far as competition and rivals. . My brother has a 2018 mustang GT. 460hp digital dash ect. I can see people cross shopping that and a Z to a certain point. you could make an argument that is more direct competition than a GR86

the way i see it is Z is right in the middle as far as "rivals" a step up from the 86/BRZ..... hopefully right there tied with the Supra which is target #1, then maybe as far as performance goes ( not driving feel as thats subjective) a little behind the pony cars

Vette is a whole different animal. 2.9 0-60 and faster around some tracks than a GTR NISMO for under 100K. its a poor mans boomer mclaren and i mean that as a glowing compliment. I personally think the styling is a bit much like they let a 8th grader draw as many edges air ducts and vents as possible but its cool. I've been spec'ing out a C8 Corvette for my dad on Chevys site and even skimping out on options I got his to about 88k. Also the mark up and resale of those things are insane. I've been reading up on all of it since I'm helping him order one and some of it is just unbelievable. The factory is so back ordered you got used ones 85k going for 115-125k all day. So no comparison to the Z at all besides it has 4 wheels. cant imagine anyone cross shopping them.

he is on the list for a 2022 but I build a comparable 21 for him as there shouldnt be many option changes

this is what it came out to be

·
Registered
11 Posts
Id say thats accurate. In terms of performance and cool factor, the Camaro SS, Mustang GT, M2, Supra, GT86 and Cayman will all be in the crosshairs, and in terms of price, all the american 400~hp sports coupes will be there, GT86 and the Supra. I wouldn't say the Vette though, the performance and price are too high.

Im currently holding my pennies on a Camaro for the Z, I think the Z offers a smaller package with similar performance, and great aftermarket overhead. While I still think the 1LE will outperform the Z at every corner, the Z is more up my alley in terms of maintainance, looks, rarity on the road, and size. Plus i wouldnt be suprised if the new Z was just a few wider tires, shocks/springs and tune away from chasing down a SS 1LE if someone was really inclined to make that thier business

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Im currently holding my pennies on a Camaro for the Z, I think the Z offers a smaller package with similar performance, and great aftermarket overhead. While I still think the 1LE will outperform the Z at every corner, the Z is more up my alley in terms of maintainance, looks, rarity on the road, and size. Plus i wouldnt be suprised if the new Z was just a few wider tires, shocks/springs and tune away from chasing down a SS 1LE if someone was really inclined to make that thier business
The SS 1LE will be a fair comparison performance and price wise. My track buddy has the ZL1 1LE and I'm 4 secs off in my RB 240Z on the 2 min plus Buttonwillow 13CW, he's my benchmark for the new Z when I'm behind the wheel. On a wide open track like Auto Club Speedway Roval, though, I would have slim chance with a stock Z, an aggressive tune will bring it closer.

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new Z51 Corvette stingray is (sadly) as fast as a 212k GTR NISMO. Can't compare that to a Z. Mustang and Camaro not a direct comparison in my mind but 35-40k 400hp sports cars it hard to avoid lumping them in the same convo as far as competition and rivals. . My brother has a 2018 mustang GT. 460hp digital dash ect. I can see people cross shopping that and a Z to a certain point. you could make an argument that is more direct competition than a GR86

the way i see it is Z is right in the middle as far as "rivals" a step up from the 86/BRZ..... hopefully right there tied with the Supra which is target #1, then maybe as far as performance goes ( not driving feel as thats subjective) a little behind the pony cars

Vette is a whole different animal. 2.9 0-60 and faster around some tracks than a GTR NISMO for under 100K. its a poor mans boomer mclaren and i mean that as a glowing compliment. I personally think the styling is a bit much like they let a 8th grader draw as many edges air ducts and vents as possible but its cool. I've been spec'ing out a C8 Corvette for my dad on Chevys site and even skimping out on options I got his to about 88k. Also the mark up and resale of those things are insane. I've been reading up on all of it since I'm helping him order one and some of it is just unbelievable. The factory is so back ordered you got used ones 85k going for 115-125k all day. So no comparison to the Z at all besides it has 4 wheels. cant imagine anyone cross shopping them.

he is on the list for a 2022 but I build a comparable 21 for him as there shouldnt be many option changes

this is what it came out to be

A poor man's McLaren is a spot on comparison to the C8. It's like the Chevy asked if they could copy McLaren's homework and McLaren told them "yeah but change it up a bit so it doesn't look obvious" :LOL:. It's pretty remarkable what Chevy and GM have been able to do with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To answer the OP’s question. My humble opinion is… no.

If its not gonna have over 400hp then its not even close in comparison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.