Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this roll out has been full of.......PAIN

If anyone has been following this from the 370z/G35 days this was a problem that affected numerous cars throughout the years. I hope a thicker trans fluid swap is what Nissan can do to alleviate this even though it's definitely the synchros

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
this roll out has been full of.......PAIN

If anyone has been following this from the 370z/G35 days this was a problem that affected numerous cars throughout the years. I hope a thicker trans fluid swap is what Nissan can do to alleviate this even though it's definitely the synchros
Was it the exact same problem? Or something different?

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was it the exact same problem? Or something different?
Seems it's the same issue yes the shift to 2nd will grind and feel like it won't go into place due to the synchros.

I read a comment on the other Z forum about this being a rumor because its not on the NHTSA site. In case they are reading some recalls( non safety related) or stop sales are self imposed by the manufacturer for quality control / customer satisfaction concerns and arnt necessarily a safety issue so don't fall under the NHTSA. I'm not sure how long Nissan have known about the issue but there were a handful of complaints about it in media cars and then on Facebook a customer who bought a proto made a video that showed a pretty severe case of the grind.

there was a post on Facebook about the clutch being 10mm larger than the 370 making the overall assembly heavier on the new Z and thus speculating that this makes the synchros work even harder which is leading to this? Not sure what the root of the issue is but it seems plausible especially since the transmission is a carry over and this issue did already affect some 370 owners over the last decade.

How to fix it I dont know but I went back and searched through older Z forums for anecdotal reports of their issues with this. Some swapped fluid to a different viscosity and felt it helped but I'm not sure if that was a permanent fix or just a patch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
lmao @ people hoping Nissan resolves things soon, like they have done anything "soon" in the last 2 years

I know that wasn't a productive reply, just seems like everyone is sniffing Hopium instead of being realistic with the track record this launch has had. I've been focusing on my own life and spending money on travelling instead of worrying about when the car will arrive. It's much more bearable that way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Seems like the first year of production of a new Z always has some issues that need to be corrected. My 03 350Z had several recalls, from the Bose stereo to the window streaks. And Nissan upgraded the six speed manual clutch release fork assembly beginning on the 2004 model because the 03 model would flex under load, especially with an upgraded clutch.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I'm seeing people take deliveries of the Z... so is this stop sale legit?

must be an auto. the autos got TCM flashes that apparently fixed the roll away issue is what im reading?

manual should still have the gear grind quality hold. I did see Z1 took delivery of their car but not sure if it was before the memo went out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Emixxary! Have you ordered a Z through that dealer?
I have not. I called to ask for info since the website said they had a Z proto - I'd been hoping to be able to at least go sit inside or something to get a better idea if I want to order one or not. But the manager said they weren't taking orders yet (aside from 6 "reservations" made on the first inventory they get shipped, but they weren't taking any more reservations). The proto is apparently owned by a 'private seller' (I assume someone working there), and he said the seller had decided not to sell in the short term unless there's some insane offer that comes along, so for now it's just there on their showroom floor fenced off. He also added that he couldn't sell the proto to me even if I did make an offer attractive to the seller, due to having a stop sale related to the transmission, which is where I got the info.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! That sucks! And will be expensive for Nissan. Wonder what's different in the replacement transmission.

its hard to know but it seems just from the very limited info we have this might not affect all the manuals? so maybe its the same trans and just nissan identified the bad manufacturing run? again just speculation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts