Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this making the rounds and while there isnt much to go from there are a few things possibly worth talking about here

This was posted on youtube which looks like just 2 Zs testing we have seen for months now.. however the 2nd Z features what appears to be a more angular front bumper that looks very similar to the Fairlady Z concept shown at the Tokyo Auto salon.

First thing I see is it almost looks like the front license plate holder has been moved up more to the top to accommodate a different grill with a cross section rather than the open mouth. this is inline with what we saw from orange concept front end and is the biggest clue to this being a different front end that doesnt have an place for a recessed plate holder like the normal Z. A bit harder to see but the lower parts of the bumper also look similar to what we saw on the orange are even though its hard to be sure with the camo.

we can also see different wheels and different brake calipers. the wheels definitely look OEM as they remind me a bit of of something nissan has used beforecould be just an optical illusion from the spoke design but these wheels appear to me slightly smaller but they could be 19" since we might be looking a 6 pot front calipers?

*EDIT the wheels are just blacked out 370z wheels. see below

so what is this? could be anything from accessory parts to the early stages of a future trim.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Saw this making the rounds and while there isnt much to go from there are a few things possibly worth talking about here

This was posted on youtube which looks like just 2 Zs testing we have seen for months now.. however the 2nd Z features what appears to be a more angular front bumper that looks very similar to the Fairlady Z concept shown at the Tokyo Auto salon.

First thing I see is it almost looks like the front license plate holder has been moved up more to the top to accommodate a different grill with a cross section rather than the open mouth. this is inline with what we saw from orange concept front end and is the biggest clue to this being a different front end that doesnt have an place for a recessed plate holder like the normal Z. A bit harder to see but the lower parts of the bumper also look similar to what we saw on the orange are even though its hard to be sure with the camo.

we can also see different wheels and different brake calipers. the wheels definitely look OEM as they remind me a bit of of something nissan has used before on its sentra and altimas. could be just an optical illusion from the spoke design but these wheels appear to me slightly smaller but they could be 19" since we might be looking a 6 pot front calipers?

so what is this? could be anything from accessory parts to the early stages of a future trim.

View attachment 7907

View attachment 7908
Oh that is interesting, the license plate bracket has definitely been raised. From this angle it does seem like the grille is split like the Fairlady Z Customized Proto.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder if this is hot weather testing for a JDM Fairlady bumper, but it would be nice to have that option here in North America (though I still think I'd personally take the big grille).

I'm actually more excited about the prospect of some additional trim options - something in between the Sport and Performance. Like a lot of folks here, I'd love the LSD and brake upgrades of the Performance but don't want to pay for the luxury options.

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh that is interesting, the license plate bracket has definitely been raised. From this angle it does seem like the grille is split like the Fairlady Z Customized Proto.
I think since it was seen in Arizona which is where nissans testing grounds are that are testing a possible production version of that exact front end or something similar

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I wonder if this is hot weather testing for a JDM Fairlady bumper, but it would be nice to have that option here in North America (though I still think I'd personally take the big grille).

I'm actually more excited about the prospect of some additional trim options - something in between the Sport and Performance. Like a lot of folks here, I'd love the LSD and brake upgrades of the Performance but don't want to pay for the luxury options.
yeah beat me to the post by a second thats my guess as to what we are seeing a hot weather test of a bumper( to see if the new design affects cooling)

rotors look like the same stock ones not the GTR drilled take offs from the original proto and the caliper also doesnt look like the GTR Brembo shape at all.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It would be cool if this was R&D for a hotter version of the Z that slots right below the NISMO model. But from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be that special. Still cool to see a test mule like this going around. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the 2nd Z it looks like the front wheels and rear wheels are different?
Looks like it's only the front that has the different design we haven't seen yet.
Interesting!

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the 2nd Z it looks like the front wheels and rear wheels are different?
Looks like it's only the front that has the different design we haven't seen yet.
Interesting!
yeah different design

I did some digging as they looked familiar to me and sure enough it looks like these wheels are the outgoing 370z wheels just painted all black

so these arnt a new wheel but rather something nissan is using as a test mule wheel

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are we sure that plate mount has been moved? Maybe it's just the angle and the fact that it's protruded. Also, if you look at the bisected grille prototype, the plate mount placement looks identical to the production version, anyway, doesn't it?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yeah so in that picture is does look the same but in the camouflaged pic it looks like the plate is higher like right up on the nose? im not sure this plate holder below would fit into that cross bar of the orange car would it?

also the nose is more angular and the bottom edges seem different too...

but it could also be much ado about nothing as we already debunked the "new" wheel

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah so in that picture is does look the same but in the camouflaged pic it looks like the plate is higher like right up on the nose? im not sure this plate holder below would fit into that cross bar of the orange car would it?

also the nose is more angular and the bottom edges seem different too...

but it could also be much ado about nothing as we already debunked the "new" wheel
Very true, this could just be some heavy camouflage that is being interpreted as a new design because of its shape and the shadows it produces. Having said that, if we go down the rabbit hole a bit, it was mentioned in the other big forum that it might actually more closely resemble something that Sketch Monkey put together ages ago:

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
78 Datsun 280z, 76 280z, 88 300zx Shiro
93 Posts
I'm not too sure on this one. Could just be playing around with one of the early test models. The badges are still covered. The side skirt is duct taped. Could just be heavy camo, plate relocated to the front side of the camo, and a whole lot of flex seal tape holding it together.. so I'm guessing this is just a clapped out old test model

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not too sure on this one. Could just be playing around with one of the early test models. The badges are still covered. The side skirt is duct taped. Could just be heavy camo, plate relocated to the front side of the camo, and a whole lot of flex seal tape holding it together.. so I'm guessing this is just a clapped out old test model
I'm with you on that. It seems less likely that there is a new design floating around than there just being a camouflaged test mule still running.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have little doubt it’s what I’ve been screaming for all along… the Fairlady Z fascia. The Z’s much-discussed fourth-place showing in the recent C&D comparo and coming up 2nd against the MKV whenever they’re compared has probably gotten a little bit old at Nissan. Whether they’re hot waether testing the fascia (or maybe the Nismo itself) for some/all trims, it’s a win-win as it means people at Nissan are listening to potential buyers (here and elsewhere), or they’re simply employing some common sense, or perhaps I’ve just been impatient and they’ve planned this all along. Nevertheless, seeing that fascia makes me hopeful they’ll acquiesce to the need for better rubber and the Sport +LSD+brakes trim for $46K. Nissan may have planned to spread out changes, updates and new trim/s over time but the snail’s pace of the Z’s release, and the added competition from a manual MKV, may have created a need to fast track such plans, in which case 2023 may shape up to be a far more interesting year for Z fans than previously thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have little doubt it’s what I’ve been screaming for all along… the Fairlady Z fascia. The Z’s much-discussed fourth-place showing in the recent C&D comparo and coming up 2nd against the MKV whenever they’re compared has probably gotten a little bit old at Nissan. Whether they’re hot waether testing the fascia (or maybe the Nismo itself) for some/all trims, it’s a win-win as it means people at Nissan are listening to potential buyers (here and elsewhere), or they’re simply employing some common sense, or perhaps I’ve just been impatient and they’ve planned this all along. Nevertheless, seeing that fascia makes me hopeful they’ll acquiesce to the need for better rubber and the Sport +LSD+brakes trim for $46K. Nissan may have planned to spread out changes, updates and new trim/s over time but the snail’s pace of the Z’s release, and the added competition from a manual MKV, may have created a need to fast track such plans, in which case 2023 may shape up to be a far more interesting year for Z fans than previously thought.

I remember when the 2nd year supra came out with that major HP bump and I was like damn I would be pissed if I was an early adopter and dropped 55K and then a year later you get a substantial upgrade only because they sandbagged it the first year. I cant even think about that happening to me with the Z. but man buying one and then nissan pulling a 2024 model quick turn around upgrade to avoid a car that doesnt punch above its weight out of the gate would hurt.

in the GTR would our expectations were different as it was an incremental change pretty much every single year

·
Registered
283 Posts
I remember when the 2nd year supra came out with that major HP bump and I was like damn I would be pissed if I was an early adopter and dropped 55K and then a year later you get a substantial upgrade only because they sandbagged it the first year. I cant even think about that happening to me with the Z. but man buying one and then nissan pulling a 2024 model quick turn around upgrade to avoid a car that doesnt punch above its weight out of the gate would hurt.

in the GTR would our expectations were different as it was an incremental change pretty much every single year
Yeah, that 55hp seemed like the biggest slap in the face to early adopters I’ve ever seen in my 35 years as a car guy. I believe Toyota did that to lull Nissan into a false sense of security (maybe?) knowing the Z was about to steal its thunder. With the Z, I don’t see any HP bump outside of a Nismo which will be around $60K, so that shouldn’t impact Sport or Performance buyers. Of course, early adopters miss out on future updates, adjustments, etc.. Anyone buying a Z today (well, it looks more like next year actually) won’t miss out on HP like first year MKV owners did but they will miss out if Nissan upgrades the rubber to Michelins or if/when the Sport+LSD+brakes for $46K-ish trim tier is offered. That said, I’d be pissed (as many will be) if I missed out any of the above and being in my 50’s, I’ve learned that patience is a virtue (usually) in the car buying world. I’m waiting for the mid tier or Nismo cars, at which point the better rubber (maybe the Fairlady fascia too) will likely have been made available if it’s ever going to happen. To shell out between $50K and $65K (out the door), I need to feel the car is as close to my ideal as possible, and it’s not there yet (for me) and at this point it doesn’t even seem like getting a Z this year would be a possibility for more than a few hundred people anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting. The brakes in the camoflagued car definitely look larger than the Performance brakes and with the caliper appearing to be covered or painted a different color to try to hide the difference in the OEM Akebono calipers.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Interesting. The brakes in the camoflagued car definitely look larger than the Performance brakes and with the caliper appearing to be covered or painted a different color to try to hide the difference in the OEM Akebono calipers.
Considering that, I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say this mule might be part of early development for the NISMO Z.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Larger brakes, Fairlady fascia…. Nismo. Thank you, Nissan. Keep the price around $60K and start selling it within a year from now (crank out the Sport and performance models for real - when chips/parts are available) and I’ll be one happy camper. That mid-tier Sport + LSD + brakes for $46K might actually be more compelling, though - at least to my wife…

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Yeah the backlash would be huge if Nissan tried to pull something like that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts