Nissan Z Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold a '21 C8 and currently without a vehicle, but am thinking of the new Z, as well as a short list of other cars. I've previously owned a lot of high performance cars, including two GT-Rs, an '09 and a '14.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @Groggie ! We have some other GT-R owners on there like @MCN1SMO

What made you sell the C8?
Not driving it enough (1,300 miles in almost seven months). It's one thing to let a $40K car sit idle but not so for one that is $100K. I sold it and got all my money back. Now I can guy a new Z if one comes along that I like.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just sold a '21 C8 and currently without a vehicle, but am thinking of the new Z, as well as a short list of other cars. I've previously owned a lot of high performance cars, including two GT-Rs, an '09 and a '14.
Wow, so many questions!
Did you have a favourite between the two GT-Rs, and how did the C8 compare?
I'd also love to know what else is on your short list.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome @Groggie! Have you given any thought about how you'll spec the Z? Also, with your GT-Rs did you keep them stock or modify them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These days you might have even made a profit.

And good point.

Does the C8 also have that 7-speed stick shift? I know it came out on the C7.
No, the C8 is a Tremec DCT. I'm not sure if other trim level of the C8 still to come will have a manual, but I doubt it. Even in its base form (Stingray), the C8 can consistently put down 2.8/9 0-60 times. The midengine set up makes all the difference and it's still a RWD car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, so many questions!
Did you have a favourite between the two GT-Rs, and how did the C8 compare?
I'd also love to know what else is on your short list.
Welcome to the forum!
If I had to pick between the '09 and '14 GT-Rs I previously owned, overall I would go with the '09. The difference in five model years was pretty significant. In just power alone, the '09 was rated at 485 HP to the crank, and the '14 was 545 HP. Plus there were very good enhancements to the suspension and transmission. And the '14 had an upgraded interior (semi-aniline leather). My wife even noticed that the '14 was much more comfortable to ride in than the '09. But the '09 I had, I modified it to be FBO. I think I was putting down 535 HP to the wheels. As for comparing to the C8, we'd really have to use a newer instance of the GT-R. Nissan did a major refresh of the R35 GT-R platform for the '17 model year. A '21 GT-R is now rated at 565 HP at the crank. Toe to toe with the C8 they would be very similar in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Track wise that would probably come down to driver ability. The one edge the GT-R would have is top end speed, but the C8 has so many other things that is does better, looks better (subjective, I know), and the tech is better.

For my short list of cars I'm looking at right now besides a Z, that would be an Audi RS3 and TT RS, MB AMG CLA/GLA 45, and Supra.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome @Groggie! Have you given any thought about how you'll spec the Z? Also, with your GT-Rs did you keep them stock or modify them?
I would spec the Z for the max creature comfort, yet performance, and looks. I really like the exterior blue with the interior blue. And don't shoot me, but I'd go with the A/T. I learned to drive on a manual, and that was a time when everyone was expected to know how. My first two cars were manuals, and I've owned a few more since then. But I just don't care for rowing my own. As for previous GT-R's, the first one, '09, was FBO, with aftermarket intakes, injectors, DPs, exhaust, and tune.Not bad for the time, as in stock form it was 485 HP at the crank, which was approximately 400 HP to the wheels. With the mods and tune, it was dyno'd to be 535 HP to the wheels. People have modd'ed the GT-R to far exceed that, but it was more than I could handle.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would spec the Z for the max creature comfort, yet performance, and looks. I really like the exterior blue with the interior blue. And don't shoot me, but I'd go with the A/T. I learned to drive on a manual, and that was a time when everyone was expected to know how. My first two cars were manuals, and I've owned a few more since then. But I just don't care for rowing my own. As for previous GT-R's, the first one, '09, was FBO, with aftermarket intakes, injectors, DPs, exhaust, and tune.Not bad for the time, as in stock form it was 485 HP at the crank, which was approximately 400 HP to the wheels. With the mods and tune, it was dyno'd to be 535 HP to the wheels. People have modd'ed the GT-R to far exceed that, but it was more than I could handle.
It's not a big deal for me whether someone goes for an auto over a manual. As long as someone actually drives their Z the way it should be and enjoys it is good enough for me.

535hp to the wheels is more than plenty for a GT-R. I don't know how people car drive GT-R's that have 1000+ hp. It's impressive but I'd be scared as hell every time I got behind the wheel haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not a big deal for me whether someone goes for an auto over a manual. As long as someone actually drives their Z the way it should be and enjoys it is good enough for me.

535hp to the wheels is more than plenty for a GT-R. I don't know how people car drive GT-R's that have 1000+ hp. It's impressive but I'd be scared as hell every time I got behind the wheel haha.
Some people are very quick to put others down if a car doesn't have a manual, saying they are really, "driving the car". It's all personal preference. And as I said I learned to drive on a manual, waaaaaay back in the mid 70s. If I want to shift the gears myself, I'm fine with the paddle shifters. I once owned a C10 pickup that had a clutch pedal so stiff your left leg would end up being noticeably more muscular than your right. No thanks! And to your point about driving a car as it's meant, well, we know some people will just buy a car for the looks and adore it as a garage queen. But, they, their car, their money. I sold my '14 GT-R because it was just sitting in the garage most of the time.

To your point about 535 HP to the wheels being plenty, yes, and I think for most people they'll never come close to driving a car like that to its limit. I took my '09 GT-R to Summit Point and that was enough to make me realize how much I DIDN'T know about high performance driving. But in normal driving conditions, when I got behind the wheel of Godzilla, that thing just took off and I felt like I owned the road in front of me. I would get another but even the '09s like my first, which I paid a little over $70K brand new, are still selling in the $60K to $70K range, some with quite a few miles. But this is a Z forum and I would like to know how the performance is going to be, acceleration wise, top end, and handling. Any factual information on that?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Some people are very quick to put others down if a car doesn't have a manual, saying they are really, "driving the car". It's all personal preference. And as I said I learned to drive on a manual, waaaaaay back in the mid 70s. If I want to shift the gears myself, I'm fine with the paddle shifters. I once owned a C10 pickup that had a clutch pedal so stiff your left leg would end up being noticeably more muscular than your right. No thanks! And to your point about driving a car as it's meant, well, we know some people will just buy a car for the looks and adore it as a garage queen. But, they, their car, their money. I sold my '14 GT-R because it was just sitting in the garage most of the time.

To your point about 535 HP to the wheels being plenty, yes, and I think for most people they'll never come close to driving a car like that to its limit. I took my '09 GT-R to Summit Point and that was enough to make me realize how much I DIDN'T know about high performance driving. But in normal driving conditions, when I got behind the wheel of Godzilla, that thing just took off and I felt like I owned the road in front of me. I would get another but even the '09s like my first, which I paid a little over $70K brand new, are still selling in the $60K to $70K range, some with quite a few miles. But this is a Z forum and I would like to know how the performance is going to be, acceleration wise, top end, and handling. Any factual information on that?
Hey Groggie, as far as those kinds of numbers are concerned nothing has been confirmed yet by Nissan or journalists. Supposedly media drives are going to start in April so hopefully within a month's time we can get more info on performance and handling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
welcome to the plate form and if your budget is limited for buying a used one then have to know about the information of the car which was relevant and authentic and Vin decoder will helps you in this way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts