Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was genuinely, somewhat excited about the prospect of the new Z. Now, not so much...

My creds:
  • I sold the Z32 for a couple years after they came out
  • I owned a Z31 as my first Z, even with the "squat"
  • I drove a Toyota MR2 Spyder for 14 years, capturing the 2003 Florida State Autocrossing Championship in CSP Class in my second year of autocrossing
  • I've been driving a Z32 for about 2.5 years
  • I restored and drove a 1970 MGB for pleasure, not competition.
I say that to say this:. FOR ME, the New Z is trying to be something it's not, which is the new standard bearer for sportscar enthusiasts at a reasonable price.

I'm not happy with the "essentially a body kit with a new powertrain", a largely carryover of a 370 interior filled with video game graphics and -this is what killed it for me- A MOVING GRAPHICS BAR ABOVE THE TACH THAT SHOWS YOU WHEN TO SHIFT FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE.

I would LOVE a new car with an analog cockpit so I can concentrate on the driving without a tv screen in my face, a car that is mid-engined, lightweight with a lump around 300-350 HP without a turbo, and a rakish profile.

So, I'll stay with my 2-owner Z32 which drives as new for awhile.

Yes, I'm an old fart, and you'll see what I mean when your whiz-bang display decides to give up the ghost just as they did in the 80's.

Let the 馃敧馃敧馃敧馃敧馃敟馃敟馃敟 begin...

Registered
I would imagine the LCD instrument cluster display would be configurable. Nissan got bashed for years for not updating the interior tech in the 370Z. The 370Z chassis is a great one. With upgraded sway bars and wheels from the Nismo model, and running 275 tires up front and 295 tires at the back, my 370Z feels like my 1991 240SX come back to life, except with much more power. I owned a 1992 300ZX and my 370 is so much more fun that that car was. If Nissan made a mid-engined car with a totally new chassis from scratch, it would start at $50K+.

Registered
I was genuinely, somewhat excited about the prospect of the new Z. Now, not so much...

My creds:
  • I sold the Z32 for a couple years after they came out
  • I owned a Z31 as my first Z, even with the "squat"
  • I drove a Toyota MR2 Spyder for 14 years, capturing the 2003 Florida State Autocrossing Championship in CSP Class in my second year of autocrossing
  • I've been driving a Z32 for about 2.5 years
  • I restored and drove a 1970 MGB for pleasure, not competition.
I say that to say this:. FOR ME, the New Z is trying to be something it's not, which is the new standard bearer for sportscar enthusiasts at a reasonable price.

I'm not happy with the "essentially a body kit with a new powertrain", a largely carryover of a 370 interior filled with video game graphics and -this is what killed it for me- A MOVING GRAPHICS BAR ABOVE THE TACH THAT SHOWS YOU WHEN TO SHIFT FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE.

I would LOVE a new car with an analog cockpit so I can concentrate on the driving without a tv screen in my face, a car that is mid-engined, lightweight with a lump around 300-350 HP without a turbo, and a rakish profile.

So, I'll stay with my 2-owner Z32 which drives as new for awhile.

Yes, I'm an old fart, and you'll see what I mean when your whiz-bang display decides to give up the ghost just as they did in the 80's.

Let the 馃敧馃敧馃敧馃敧馃敟馃敟馃敟 begin...
But I think people are missing the point.
This car will most likely be the last of the Zs that are manual and not electric. The point of this car is to draw upon all of the Z that came before it amd not to create a new car.
im satisfied, updated interior to bring it into the 2020s, and an exterior that draws from its history.
I don鈥檛 know...,aye I鈥檓 an easy sell, but I like it and have already put a deposits down

Premium Member
@Donalex just hang on until this car is delivered, especially if you鈥檙e a Nissan fan like I am. It will still be the most basic on technology aside from the digital dash and that鈥檚 fine, we need this, nothing out there with this power at hopefully the right pricing plus the aftermarket is already avail.

I was a Regional runner-up in CSP a few years ago also and realized the current Zs are way outclassed nowadays. I hope SCCA classifies it competitively in both Stock and SP. My Mazdaspeed Miata was much better at autox. But I focus on track events, way more fun with the speed and limits. My 240Z handles so neutral after proper cornerweighting, just needs more power even with the RB. Now comes the new Z! Let鈥檚 see how much it takes to balance it to beat the old Z鈥檚 times with minimal mods.

Registered
Welcome to age of CUVs. Automarkers aren't going to pour millions into R&D for low volume selling sports cars. This isn't any different from the 2nd gen 86 and BRZ.
It's funny that even in this age of SUVs and CUVs more sports cars have been returning/surviving.

Premium Member
Oh my R&T shouldn鈥檛 let the secret, er cat outta the bag馃馃槈Right on point! Only decision I鈥檒l have to make is to get the bare bones lighter Sport (and upgrade later with components I want) or shoot for the Nismo if that much better as a pkg.

Registered
But I think people are missing the point.
This car will most likely be the last of the Zs that are manual and not electric. The point of this car is to draw upon all of the Z that came before it amd not to create a new car.
im satisfied, updated interior to bring it into the 2020s, and an exterior that draws from its history.
I don鈥檛 know...,aye I鈥檓 an easy sell, but I like it and have already put a deposits down

Registered
How in the world did u put a deposit down this early? They haven鈥檛 even released the specs on the Z! I think u r being played by ur dealer! My dealer said they鈥檙e not taking deposits. Nissan hasn鈥檛 released anything about the Z since last Sep.

Registered
How in the world did u put a deposit down this early? They haven鈥檛 even released the specs on the Z! I think u r being played by ur dealer! My dealer said they鈥檙e not taking deposits. Nissan hasn鈥檛 released anything about the Z since last Sep.
I鈥檓 in Australia...and another guy also in Australia on the other side of the country has also put a deposit down...which in itself is a indication, because there have been no dealer meetings to discuss tactics, due to covid ( we were not permitted to travel between states)
I have a contract with customer number, and it has been entered into their computer system, car number will be allocated once they hit the country (we don鈥檛 produce cars here)
They know they are getting 3 in, he has already sold two. In addition Nissan car dealers here are ranked into categories, done by sales. He was aware of how many a dealer in Aus would get based on category ...some dealers will not get any initially, other larger ones ( like this ) will

I had seen the same dealer every month for three months before this, and he did not tell me anything and said he didn鈥檛 even want to take my number, because they didn鈥檛 expect anything soon. The last time I went in...he said 鈥渟o glad you came back in...wish I asked for your number, there has been an unexpected development鈥 and I put a deposit down.

As I said to someone else...what鈥檚 the point of him 鈥減laying鈥 me. What is he getting out of it.
I know things are different in the US, but here in Aus there would be absolutely nothing in it for the dealer...here鈥檚 why

In Australia Nissan sets the prices, and dealers are not permitted to sell above that price...so can鈥檛 get me there.
In Australia contracts only last for 90 days, so after that time if I so choose to do so, I can walk away and the deposit by law has to be repaid within 30days.
The only thing he would get out of 鈥減laying鈥 me, is distrust, and me walking away and making contact with a second dealer instead of buying through him when the car does become available.

I notice in your statement that you said there would be no Zs built due to chip shortage...how do you know this?
Last year even with chip shortages and covid Nissan produced 4757,000 units.
In their last news projection they have stated that they will produce 500,000 less units this year. That鈥檚 just over 10percent decrease...hardly stopping production

Is it not possible, especially in a country where we do not produce any cars, that they would allocate cars, and direct them where they will sell. It may even be possible that Nissan may want pre orders first so they know how many manuals v autos are needed and make sure every chip used reaches where it is needed and sold...it鈥檚 what I would do if I ran a business that was in debt, had a chip shortage and still battling to control covid. I鈥檇 make sure every vehicle produced is sold....but of course this is just my thoughts...not theirs

Anyhow, you could be right, who鈥檚 to know.
Just saying, here is Aus the is absolutely no point in 鈥減laying鈥 someone, because they can鈥檛 keep the money, they can鈥檛 lock in the buyer after three months, and they can鈥檛 sell above the ticketed price...no point at all

Registered
I pretty much disagree with your overall sentiment about the forthcoming Z, but I definitely would prefer an analog or mostly analog instrument cluster.
The fact behind full-LCD clusters is that they are significantly cheaper to make than an electro-mechanical cluster. I can see the LCD cluster in the new Pathfinder is the exact same one as the new Z. I suppose all Nissans will eventually use the same LCD panel in most of their cars, driving part cost down even further. LCD panels are CHEAP these days, and the graphics of the display can be tailored to suit the vehicle it is in. In my GTI, the graphics set for Golf R, GTI, Clubsport and regular Golf were all loaded into the memory. If you had OBDEleven you could actually enable the display from a different vehicle.
I just see LCD displays for what they are, cost-cutting.

But, on the other hand, you KNOW Nissan/Datsun would have definitely used this tech in the Z31 or 280ZX! They did use an expensive for the time VFD cluster and they also had voice. If they had access to these LCDs they definitely would have used them, at least as an option.

My favorite hybrid LCD/electromechanical display so far is the ones that Lexus uses, where an actual gauge ring physically moves from left-right depending on what mode the car is in, it looks like the right way to flex new tech in a way that doesn't scream "cost-cutting"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cost cutting should not be the main factor in what the customer sees. Besides, if it costs $400 more to use analog, then who would know?

Super Moderator
-this is what killed it for me- A MOVING GRAPHICS BAR ABOVE THE TACH THAT SHOWS YOU WHEN TO SHIFT FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE.
well just blame this champion Z and GTR racecar driver for the idea. im sure he has no idea what he is talking about

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.