Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been following the Z development for a long time now for my next car, which will 99% be either the new Z or a BW M2. Both will be out within the next year or so (M2 sometime next year).
I have been driving a modded BMW 135 for a while now. In fact, I cross-shopped the 135 vs the 370Z and the G37S back in 2012. The 135 won out because it and the Z performed almost the same but I was not comfortable with the tiny mail-slot rear window visibility of the Z. Now I think I would be okay with it. And the G37 was just too soft.

So I've been daily driving the 135 for 9 years now and it's time for something new (this too will be a daily driver).

Crossing fingers for hydraulic steering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been following the Z development for a long time now for my next car, which will 99% be either the new Z or a BW M2. Both will be out within the next year or so (M2 sometime next year).
I have been driving a modded BMW 135 for a while now. In fact, I cross-shopped the 135 vs the 370Z and the G37S back in 2012. The 135 won out because it and the Z performed almost the same but I was not comfortable with the tiny mail-slot rear window visibility of the Z. Now I think I would be okay with it. And the G37 was just too soft.

So I've been daily driving the 135 for 9 years now and it's time for something new (this too will be a daily driver).

Crossing fingers for hydraulic steering.
Welcome to the forum! 135i owner myself. Not my daily driver, but a weekend car. I traded in my 09 370Z on the BMW. Love the power of the 1, especially with the N54 motor that mine has and a Dinan tune. My 1 also has lots of M3 suspension upgrades. Fun car. Still doesn't handle or brake as good as my heavily modded 350Z. But the 1s power is addicting, even to this day.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hah, same N54 TT in our M-Sport 535i, love it, gobs of stump puller torque and super brakes. Highly tuneable w JB4. Wife loves this car.

By the way, welcome fellow Bimmer! I’ve been following the M2 CS and Competition as viable options, manual only of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my 135 is an N55, but has the Dinan S2 tune piggybacked on top of the PPK (you get the Dinan power plus the PPK pops and burbles). Many small mods, but most notable are the M3 front control arms - a huge difference in steering feel, which is why I am really hoping the Z comes with hydraulic steering instead of EPS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, my 135 is an N55, but has the Dinan S2 tune piggybacked on top of the PPK (you get the Dinan power plus the PPK pops and burbles). Many small mods, but most notable are the M3 front control arms - a huge difference in steering feel, which is why I am really hoping the Z comes with hydraulic steering instead of EPS.
Nice! My tune is the Dinan Stage 2 as well. Love the torque with the tune. I think I have all the M3 suspension upgrades, front and rear, including the rear subframe bushings. What a difference those M3 suspension bits make. I also have an ETS intercooler and an aftermarket aluminum charge pipe (after the stock one blew up).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! My tune is the Dinan Stage 2 as well. Love the torque with the tune. I think I have all the M3 suspension upgrades, front and rear, including the rear subframe bushings. What a difference those M3 suspension bits make. I also have an ETS intercooler and an aftermarket aluminum charge pipe (after the stock one blew up).
Yeah, I have RSFB in addition to the control arms, but not ALL the goodies. I'm on stock springs too, but yellow Konis. Also new charge pipe after stock blew.
Great fun car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL! the OEM plastic charge pipe is crap, especially if you have a tune. I'm on stock springs and have the yellow Koni's too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m a Z car nut, that’s partly the reason I’m here, so I’ll be buying that. To be honest though if I were looking to buy something exciting from BMW, I’d actually probably be more looking into the Supra then the M2. I’m sure people will think that’s shady and it partially is 🤣 but it’s also not exactly untrue. I don’t think it’s a bad car apart from the silly vents and lack of choice in the transmission. I’d like to see an M2/Supra shootout.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m a Z car nut, that’s partly the reason I’m here, so I’ll be buying that. To be honest though if I were looking to buy something exciting from BMW, I’d actually probably be more looking into the Supra then the M2. I’m sure people will think that’s shady and it partially is 🤣 but it’s also not exactly untrue. I don’t think it’s a bad car apart from the silly vents and lack of choice in the transmission. I’d like to see an M2/Supra shootout.
Welcome! I'm really a Z car nut too. I've had three over the years. I kinda agree with you about the Supra over the M2. I'd definitely agree with you if the Supra was available with a manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M2 > the Supra, IMHO. The next gen M2 with the S58 engine (compared with the B58) even more so.
Looks are subjective, but I pick it over the Supra too. Just more character and a manual to boot.

It is my sincere hope that the new Z is everything the Supra is not (it shouldn't be that hard). Bear in mind, I am a BMW fan, so I don't at all mind that the Supra is 90% BMW!
But i am hoping for less weight in the Z, with a manual, and potentially hydraulic steering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The M2 CS is very nice and a better performer than the Supra, but it's also significantly more expensive than the Supra. That's the reason I would choose the Supra, if it had a manual.

Hopefully the new Z will be a better bang for the buck than either, especially since it is going to be available with a manual and hopefully hydraulic steering.

If it wasn't such a large car I would choose a Camaro SS 1LE over even the Z. Talk about bang for the buck. It's a bargain for the level of performance it provides. The 1LE package isn't cheap as option packages go, but it's all about performance. And a 1SS 1LE can be had for around $45,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts