Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's fine with me.
I don't like how convertibles and targas ruin body lines.
Targas dont change the body lines. Just a very wide sunroof basically. Just look at any corvette or whatever. Convertibles do If done poorly for sure. Just look at the 350z and 370z convertibles...very weird looking. Toyota did do some monstrosity targa one off thing to the new Supra...that didn't turn out good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Targas dont change the body lines. Just a very wide sunroof basically. Just look at any corvette or whatever. Convertibles do If done poorly for sure. Just look at the 350z and 370z convertibles...very weird looking. Toyota did do some monstrosity targa one off thing to the new Supra...that didn't turn out good.
It will when the tops are removed. There's also the hassle that comes along with them.
I much rather open and close with a touch of a button. T-tops are cool but not convenient.

The Supra has a monstrosity of a roof to begin with. It's tall and doesn't flow. The targa might have actually help by removing that thick chunk of metal to give the sense of a flatter roof. It would have looked a lot better without the double bubble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It will when the tops are removed. There's also the hassle that comes along with them.
I much rather open and close with a touch of a button. T-tops are cool but not convenient.

The Supra has a monstrosity of a roof to begin with. It's tall and doesn't flow. The targa might have actually help by removing that thick chunk of metal to give the sense of a flatter roof. It would have looked a lot better without the double bubble.
Look up sema Supra targa. It might be all the other stuff they added to it but man it looks like a mess. I will look up without double bubble. The Supra has just a bit too much going on. Not classic enough. Yea your right when the top is off it will change the lines but I don’t feel like it’s a negative. At least the rest of the car is the same. If they made it like the Miata rf it could be fully auto.

·
Super Moderator
167 Posts
Does anyone know the sales ratio of hard-tops to roadsters for the 370Z?

I did some digging and I only found stats from 2009-2014 but it was 5 to 1 for the coupe. roughly 35K to 7K total in those years for the US

I would assume that ratio would have held or even widened through 2020

was never a fan of the roadster. top down the car looked sort of bloated to me. would love a targa.

and no to sunroofs as like stated above .....on a coupe they make your car look like that girl you knew in high school with the celica

·
Registered
74 Posts
They need to take a page from McLaren and Ferrari, as Corvette C8 convertible and Miata RF have.

Convertible as a folding hardtop panel and roll down rear window, and buttresses to keep the roofline profile from the side. I 'chopped the original FR-S concept long ago before the production model of that one came out. I imagine something could be done similarly with Z35.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the Z35 is really more of a Z34.5 it wouldn't take much at all for a convertible.

Sadly there's no talk of a convertible in the cards right now, that's not to say it'll never come but.......right now things look Coupe only.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since the Z35 is really more of a Z34.5 it wouldn't take much at all for a convertible.

Sadly there's no talk of a convertible in the cards right now, that's not to say it'll never come but.......right now things look Coupe only.
Since Z34 was a Z33.5, hopefully Z35 is a slightly more involved improvement, even based on the same platform hardpoints.

Sometimes convertibles come out in close succession, other times they come out a bit later to rekindle the model once the initial hit of novelty has worn off a bit. It will probably depend on how well the car is received initially.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since Z34 was a Z33.5, hopefully Z35 is a slightly more involved improvement, even based on the same platform hardpoints.

Sometimes convertibles come out in close succession, other times they come out a bit later to rekindle the model once the initial hit of novelty has worn off a bit. It will probably depend on how well the car is received initially.
No. Z34 is not Z33.5 - Z35 is a 370 with a Bodykit and a Motor swap. It's a HEAVILY refreshed 370Z. 350 and 370 are not the same car.

A Z35 convertible is extremely easy to do, it's essentially a 370. The problem is they stopped tooling for the convertible a few years back (2018 iirc) - the sales simply were not there.

Z35 convertible isn't a question of "can they?" - they obviously did with the Z34. It's a question of "does it make business sense?"

Considering the fact we're damned lucky we're getting this car (there's a reason it's a 370 with a Bodykit) I highly doubt they'll spend the money and bring the convertible back.

If they do however, I'll be first in line!! lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honest question... how is Z33->Z34 a more fundamental change than Z34->Z35, based on what we know about the Z35 so far?

Maybe there is something more fundamental between Z33 and Z34... but Z35 seems like an similar iteration in most respects that is at least as significant as the previous change.

Different engine... both, and arguably an iteration of VQ from 35DE/HR to 37VHR is less change than going to VR30DDTT.

Different body... both, and Z35 is a styling improvement over both Z33 and Z34.

Different interior... Z35 looks like a bigger change than Z33-Z34.

Chassis is iterative revisions for both, although perhaps less with Z35, but we don't know the extent yet.

And even if there are chassis geometry changes between Z33->34 that 35 doesn't have... does that criteria outweigh all the other aspects that are being changed for Z35?
If the previous Z34 changes were effective, maybe further changes in that aspect aren't needed, or would be diminished returns for the R&D investment at this point, where other aspects will make a bigger difference.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts