Nissan Z Forum banner

Nissan Z Convertible

22K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  zenki 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any news about there being a Z convertible. All the renderings I've seen are of the Z as a hard top. Since the 370Z and Q60 already have convertible versions it would make sense for the Z to be the same way. Would anyone consider a Z convertible over a hard top? Depending on the styling I'd think about it.

Nissan 370Z Convertible
Infiniti Q60 convertible

See less See more
#14 ·
Yea do an auto retractable fastback 400z. If the Miata was 25% bigger and had 300+ hp it would be a nice car too. Currently it’s too dang small and slow.. after owning a 350 and 370z. Now I have z4 so I guess I will wait to see how the 400z convertible turns out and wish for a targa.

#15 ·
Nissan can leave a 300Z TT convertible on the table, seeing as how the Z34 370Z and Z35(Z34.5?) 300Z chassis are mostly the same, the engineering work for convertible is mostly already done.

I'm not a fan of sporty convertibles, I have been known to roll a car over once, and ever since I've appreciated a solid roof over my head. I would seriously love the new 300Z TT in T-Tops or targa top for sure, that would be awesome!

#25 ·
I did some digging and I only found stats from 2009-2014 but it was 5 to 1 for the coupe. roughly 35K to 7K total in those years for the US

I would assume that ratio would have held or even widened through 2020

was never a fan of the roadster. top down the car looked sort of bloated to me. would love a targa.

and no to sunroofs as like stated above .....on a coupe they make your car look like that girl you knew in high school with the celica

#26 ·
They need to take a page from McLaren and Ferrari, as Corvette C8 convertible and Miata RF have.

Convertible as a folding hardtop panel and roll down rear window, and buttresses to keep the roofline profile from the side. I 'chopped the original FR-S concept long ago before the production model of that one came out. I imagine something could be done similarly with Z35.

#28 ·
Since Z34 was a Z33.5, hopefully Z35 is a slightly more involved improvement, even based on the same platform hardpoints.

Sometimes convertibles come out in close succession, other times they come out a bit later to rekindle the model once the initial hit of novelty has worn off a bit. It will probably depend on how well the car is received initially.

#30 ·
Honest question... how is Z33->Z34 a more fundamental change than Z34->Z35, based on what we know about the Z35 so far?

Maybe there is something more fundamental between Z33 and Z34... but Z35 seems like an similar iteration in most respects that is at least as significant as the previous change.

Different engine... both, and arguably an iteration of VQ from 35DE/HR to 37VHR is less change than going to VR30DDTT.

Different body... both, and Z35 is a styling improvement over both Z33 and Z34.

Different interior... Z35 looks like a bigger change than Z33-Z34.

Chassis is iterative revisions for both, although perhaps less with Z35, but we don't know the extent yet.

And even if there are chassis geometry changes between Z33->34 that 35 doesn't have... does that criteria outweigh all the other aspects that are being changed for Z35?
If the previous Z34 changes were effective, maybe further changes in that aspect aren't needed, or would be diminished returns for the R&D investment at this point, where other aspects will make a bigger difference.

#38 ·
The upcoming Z could definitely be made available in a convertible, 95% of the engineering was already done and manufactured for years on the Z34 chassis.

Blame the pandemic.

Without a pandemic constraining production and leading everyone into hyper inflation, Nissan would've made more than 2 Z trims available for first year, sales would've exceeded expectations leading to a convertible offering for the 2024MY.

However, it's going to be years before all car manufacturers stabilize, and in the interim inflation is going to tear everyone up. It was smart for Nissan to limit the Z to 2 trims, it's the healthiest way going forward.

#39 ·
The upcoming Z could definitely be made available in a convertible, 95% of the engineering was already done and manufactured for years on the Z34 chassis.

Blame the pandemic.

Without a pandemic constraining production and leading everyone into hyper inflation, Nissan would've made more than 2 Z trims available for first year, sales would've exceeded expectations leading to a convertible offering for the 2024MY.

However, it's going to be years before all car manufacturers stabilize, and in the interim inflation is going to tear everyone up. It was smart for Nissan to limit the Z to 2 trims, it's the healthiest way going forward.
I'm sure the pandemic did play a role in things but Nissan was also struggling financially before it happened as well. If they were on better ground I think they would've definitely offered a convertible/roadster.

#45 ·
I’m so sure there won’t be a drop top version. The US market alone would make a compelling business case, not to mention the marketing people having their say when the “shine” wears off the new model. If it were to happen, I’d expect it to be released as part of any mid life update to renew market interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.