Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Nissan 400Z's horsepower number might have been revealed thanks to its addition on Project Cars 3.

According to the game it has 331 kW (443.8 HP) and weighs 1,475 kg (3251.8 pounds). For comparison the 2020 370Z produces 332 horsepower and has a curb weight of 1,512 kilograms (3,333 pounds) and the 2021 Supra (inline 6) has 382 horsepower and weighs 1542.22 kg (3400 lbs)

Which means not only would the 400Z have significantly more power than the 370Z and Supra it will be lighter too. Now that's a winning combo to me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to confess my immense skepticism but, holy hell, would that be absolutely monstrous.
The weight difference I can believe but I had to do a double take to make sure I saw that horsepower number right. With those numbers the 400Z would have an incredible power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The weight difference I can believe but I had to do a double take to make sure I saw that horsepower number right. With those numbers the 400Z would have an incredible power to weight ratio.
Absolutely, those specs would really place the Z at the front of the class, assuming that the engineers have dialed in the handling dynamics to align with that level of power. Again, I'm rather dubious on these figures but it's a fantastic idea, if Nissan got super aggressive and went for the proverbial throat with Z35.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely, those specs would really place the Z at the front of the class, assuming that the engineers have dialed in the handling dynamics to align with that level of power. Again, I'm rather dubious on these figures but it's a fantastic idea, if Nissan got super aggressive and went for the proverbial throat with Z35.
Nissan really needs a shot in the arm and those numbers would certainly do that. Even if these numbers are off and the horsepower ends up around 400 that's still a big win.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nissan really needs a shot in the arm and those numbers would certainly do that. Even if these numbers are off and the horsepower ends up around 400 that's still a big win.
Particularly if the mission statement of the Z remains true and the price reflects the core value of democratizing the sports car. Basically, if they can avoid overpricing it, a 400hp Z unleashed on the automotive world could be a real winner for Nissan.

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
the power and weight are 1000% just estimates from the the game developers and not from nissan

if we were like 8-10 months closer to launch and this was a leak from a Gran Turismo screenshot (who has a relationship with Nissan) I would say yeah they are accurate.

I firmly believe the first year Z35 HP numbers wont be that much over 400 if at all. For one you are 68hp better than the outgoing model day one and already beaten the supra from purely a marketing standpoint not to mention youve got to leave room for later into the Lifecyle as well as a NISMO version.

curb weight is probably optimistic as well. this years outgoing Z touring hovers around 3400lbs. the base car is in the 3330s. the new Z is gonna have to update a 13 year old chassis with safety and regulations going forward. by the time they do their weight saving magic I would call it a win to be anywhere in the low 3300s for the car with all the bells and whistles.

that is for the 6MT. nissan press releases have the 7AT roughly 30lbs more so a new Z in Auto I would think might be pushing closer 3400. still not terrible if they can pull off any tangible weight savings at all. thats an accomplishment in itself. a 40-50lbs lighter difference for a 2022-3 vs a car from 2008 even though cars trend heavier year to year. the major components arnt new so the weight is going to have to come from body panels wheels braking system and interior ( which is usually tough as better modern materials and sound deadening usually drive weights up not down)

does anyone know the weights of the VR30 vs the outgoing VQ? I found a figure of 429lbs ( Dry) for the VR

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
We can sure drool and hope, but I think that's purely speculative from the developer's view. Got my heart pumping though, good overall competition-beating numbers.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts

does anyone know the weights of the VR30 vs the outgoing VQ? I found a figure of 429lbs ( Dry) for the VR
This part is interesting, also want to know..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I firmly believe the first year Z35 HP numbers wont be that much over 400 if at all. For one you are 68hp better than the outgoing model day one and already beaten the supra from purely a marketing standpoint not to mention youve got to leave room for later into the Lifecyle as well as a NISMO version.

It's not just 68hp. It's the torque, which would likely be solidly over 80ft/lbs more than the VQ37 which will make the new Z very enjoyable.

Regarding VQ37 vs VR30, the Q50 was available with both engines in the exact same chassis. If you dig around enough, you'd be able to extrapolate something.

From what I've seen, the VQ37 isn't a terribly heavy engine, and the VR30 carries a penalty of more parts and cooling systems.

Another benefit in VR30's favor is that the MPGs will be significantly better. As a manufacturer, if Nissan can eek out another +5mpg from the VR30 Z, it helps make a case for the Z in an ever tightening CAFE environment.

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
Someone already sniped this post.

not big on the site being tied to something I seriously doubt is true but as they say the only bad publicity is no publicity lol so keep the link backs coming I guess

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
It's not just 68hp. It's the torque, which would likely be solidly over 100ft/lbs more than the VQ37 which will make the new Z very enjoyable.

Regarding VQ37 vs VR30, the Q50 was available with both engines in the exact same chassis. If you dig around enough, you'd be able to extrapolate something.

From what I've seen, the VQ37 isn't a terribly heavy engine, and the VR30 carries a penalty of more parts and cooling systems.

Another benefit in VR30's favor is that the MPGs will be significantly better. As a manufacturer, if Nissan can eek out another +5mpg from the VR30 Z, it helps make a case for the Z in an ever tightening CAFE environment.
the turbo mounted individual intercoolers instead of FMIC probably negate some of the initial weight difference

·
Registered
183 Posts
the turbo mounted individual intercoolers instead of FMIC probably negate some of the initial weight difference
Check above post, turns out VR30 powered Q50 is 100 pounds heavier than VQ37 Q50.

Nissan will need to find weight savings in the chassis, suspension and wheels.

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
Check above post, turns out VR30 powered Q50 is 100 pounds heavier than VQ37 Q50.

Nissan will need to find weight savings in the chassis, suspension and wheels.
I almost got to think there might be some weight in there accounting that difference not directly from the engine itself. for some reason I imagined the VR30 as the lighter of the 2? its a little subjective as what do you count as the engine and what are the accessories to it. alternator intake housings ect ect

brakes could be another area to discuss weight. I dont see the production car using the caliper and rotor setup on the proto those looked like straight GTR transplants from what I saw. but i would like to see something a little better than the 370 though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I almost got to think there might be some weight in there accounting that difference not directly from the engine itself. for some reason i imagined the VR30 as the lighter of the 2? its a little subjective as what do you count as the engine and what are the accessories to it. alternator intake housings ect ect
So...we might expect that Nissan will use EPS, whereas the VQ37 used hydraulic PS. That's supposed to save weight, but how much, really?

The crank, flywheel/clutch assembly and transmission in the VR30 are likely heavier. I know the VR30 7AT is heavier than the VQ37 7AT, it has a larger torque converter and bellhousing, maybe even heavier clutch packs.

We'll see soon enough, I hope.

Me, personally, the new Z won't be heavy compared to my current car, a Q60 AWD, which is at least 700 pounds heavier than the heaviest Z. Even if a new Z is heavier than the old one, I'll be happy!

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
Does your AWD Q weigh as much as my GTR? I'm at 3887(real world with fuel)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts