Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
That puts the power in par with the M2 Competition 2020. Torque looks down 56 ft lbs. Then again the M2 doesn't launch amazingly well. It also weighs 25-50lbs more.

This means the Nismo may be 1450kg and 475 hp like first rumoured.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would so love for this to all be accurate; I just fear that it isn't. But, let's be real, 400hp as a starting point would still be a very enticing offering.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Someone already sniped this post.
Yikes, it seems like various outlets are actually paying attention to/referencing the forum :LOL: :LOL:

Nissan 400Z Power Number Leaked in Project Cars? - Motor Illustrated
LEAKED: The Nissan 400Z Will Be How Powerful? | CarBuzz
New Nissan 400Z Possible Specifications Leaked In Project Cars 3 | Grand Tour Nation

The Grand Tour Nation one even paraphrases a comment I made. I would say that we need to be cautious about our posts, but is it really our fault if automotive publications are referencing us?? I think everyone is just starved for any news on this vehicle, no matter how speculative.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Automotive pundits generally dislike the driving dynamics of the Q50 and Q60. However, they always heap tons of praise onto the VR30 motor, saying that it makes very impressive power (consider those cars are pushing 2 tons in their usually tested AWD trims!) and that they pull to redline like no other turbo engine. It is a very linear engine in a world where most new turbo cars are swelling with torque in the low to mid ranges, and run out of breath near a relatively low redline.
The VR30 is unusual that it makes more HP than torque, I believe in the RS it is 400HP/350TQ.
This means while we can compare it on paper, it'll drive nothing like the BMWs.

I also think for Nissan, the VR30 is such a flexible engine that they'll easily be able to turn it up a bit past 400HP, say maybe to 440-450HP without incurring much cost over the 400HP version of the Infiniti engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Automotive pundits generally dislike the driving dynamics of the Q50 and Q60. However, they always heap tons of praise onto the VR30 motor, saying that it makes very impressive power
This is what my research has revealed, as well, which is very encouraging. I hope that Nissan is not only able to extract substantial power from the engine in this application but that they are able to give it a very unique feel, a distinctly Z character that rivals (read: Supra) lack.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My opinion: The Z is a legacy car. It doesn't need to beat any other car. IMO. It just needs to be really good on it's own merit.
It is very difficult to out-perform modern day BMW. Certain mid-level BMWs are now achieving near-Tesla levels of acceleration.
The thing about BMWs, including the Supra, is that they are lease cars. Go onto YT and there's thousands of used BMW ownership horror stories. Some people will point out that one model of BMW isn't as bad as another, but the fact is that they are all very difficult to justify keeping as they get older. They are so expensive when new, many people just end up leasing them. If you happened to buy one with cash or financing, I think they are too expensive to just let sit in a garage only for weekend driving.
Many of us are going to buy a Z35 and plan on keeping it a long time. Being that the car is a warmed-over Z34, it should have a much better ownership experience when old.
For those that look at performance metrics as their sole reason to purchase a car, they'll be better served by a BMW or Tesla.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
We have to have reasonable serviceability on the new 400Z, and this Z cannot be too overly complicated like the R35. True that simpler the better (manual transmission, yes!!), has to be a driver's car and not burdened by too much electronic 'aids'. I've owned and tracked a BMW E46 M3, great performance, silky smooth straight six, but it has it's own common problems, expensive to fix. Also currently own the xlnt N54 twin turbo 535i, gobs of torque, and yes expensive to service too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Valid! Performance as the sole deciding factor behind vehicle purchase would be a silly idea, just broadly speaking.

I think that most people have several criteria that will come before that, though, and that performance/competitiveness versus peers factors in later in the consideration process. Price is generally the overarching qualifier. Now, say, if someone is shopping specifically for a sports car - that is their first criterion. Then, maybe they pare it down to the specific drivetrain they seek, maybe the number of seats, etc. I suspect that performance comes towards the end when the buyer is looking at a vehicle that they are already interested in compared to its direct rivals.

I agree that one would be better served with a high-performance electric car if straight line acceleration were literally the primary consideration, but I really don't think someone who is shopping for a Z (or a Supra, or a Corvette, or a Cayman, etc) is thinking "well, that family sedan that Tesla makes is quicker..."

·
Registered
26 Posts
ROAD & TRACK:
So does this mean the production 400Z, when it arrives, will pack a power-to-weight ratio that embarrasses the six-cylinder Cayman, the rip-snorting M4 and lots of other performance machines? The NewNissanZ forum fans sure think so. At Road & Track, we're slightly skeptical. It's highly likely that Nissan gave these numbers to the Project Cars team as a way to build hype for the eventual debut of the production car. Note that the car you can play in the game is called "Z Proto," a pretty clear indication that what you see on your screen is the digital representation of the concept car. That gives Nissan an easy out if the 400Z arrives with less horsepower (or a greater curb weight) than what's in the game: "hey, that's just the prototype."
They're getting the wrong message...

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
R&T is not reading the majority of comments here, drew conclusions, too bad. I think most of us are skeptical about those game stats.

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
Maybe with this hype about power and weight, Nissan may actually be pressured to pull through.

I dont think they could do 3250 with full carbon body panels ........hows that for skepticism R&T?:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Dang, it's all over the net, publications on Project Cars 3. The pressure is on Nissan to deliver those numbers now, or the public will get sorely disappointed LOL!

Waiting to order....but not sure if Nismo will be avail right away, could be a year later ugh.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yikes, it seems like various outlets are actually paying attention to/referencing the forum :LOL: :LOL:

Nissan 400Z Power Number Leaked in Project Cars? - Motor Illustrated
LEAKED: The Nissan 400Z Will Be How Powerful? | CarBuzz
New Nissan 400Z Possible Specifications Leaked In Project Cars 3 | Grand Tour Nation

The Grand Tour Nation one even paraphrases a comment I made. I would say that we need to be cautious about our posts, but is it really our fault if automotive publications are referencing us?? I think everyone is just starved for any news on this vehicle, no matter how speculative.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do wonder what stats are correct so far. That other leak said 400-hp

But it gave basically zero info.

The 444 sounds like it could be realistic still.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts