Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan’s vice-president of global product strategy, Ivan Espinosa, hinted that we could be seeing a hybrid version of the 400Z in the future.

He mentioned recently that they are planning on using hybrid powertrains for its sports cars and when he was asked about the 400Z he said "Well, I cannot give you details about the car now.” However, he also said, “What I can tell you is I still see space for two different things."

“Probably in the short term you can still see a bit more conventional technology coming. By conventional I mean maybe still ICE [internal combustion engine] driven, maybe with some electrification on the sports cars,”

This makes sense since hybrid technology seems to be the future of performance cars. Honda is already planning on doing it with the Civic Type-R.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nissan just shot down the idea of that happening, at least of the short term.

"What I can tell you is I still see space for two different things. Probably, in the short term, you can still see a bit more conventional technology coming. By conventional, I mean an internal combustion engine."

- Ivan Espinosa, Nissan's Vice President of Global Product Strategy, in interview with CarAdvice

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nissan just shot down the idea of that happening, at least of the short term.

"What I can tell you is I still see space for two different things. Probably, in the short term, you can still see a bit more conventional technology coming. By conventional, I mean an internal combustion engine."

- Ivan Espinosa, Nissan's Vice President of Global Product Strategy, in interview with CarAdvice
At least we'll have a few more years of a Z with an ICE engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hybrid was the plan for the Q60. I guess in the future the used car market will your go to for ice vehicles. By 2030 ice sales will be banned in UK as well as going into town centers.

If its going to be Electric it needs p90/p100 model 3 levels of performance. Around 500-700 bhp

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
More to digest....

"Infiniti has used this engine in tandem with electric equipment derived from Renault's Formula 1 effort in the Q60 Project Black S. That powertrain produced around 420kW, which is roughly the same output as the current base GT-R.
It wouldn’t surprise us if Nissan used the 298kW V6 by itself for the 400Z and added the hybrid gubbins for the GT-R, while turning the wick up some to beat the previous generation’s power output. That leaves room for lesser hybridisation in the Z car at a later date"

Nissan Ariya to spawn all-electric GT-R?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If the GTR is holding back the potential for the Z its a shame. There will be competition. By 2025 Toyota will probably be planning for the next generation Supra which will probably be hybrid petrol and near 500hp

If they can't develop a GTR with Tesla Super coupe level then thats too bad. Anything short of 720 bhp currently in the R50 may be a step sideways.

Also once Electric is it really a GTR or an E GTR

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Earlier this year I remember reading an article where Nissan claimed the next GTR we will be the fastest production vehicle again on the road so I’d like to assume they got something up their sleeve. In my opinion they’re pretty much competing with Porsche.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Earlier this year I remember reading an article where Nissan claimed the next GTR we will be the fastest production vehicle again on the road so I’d like to assume they got something up their sleeve. In my opinion they’re pretty much competing with Porsche.
Was this the article @SPOHN?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts