Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard someone mention the VR30DDTT will have upwards of 420 hp, any truth to this? Since powerplant and suspension specs are still 2-3 months away, I can only compare it to the GR Supra (ONLY if it comes out with a manual) as my two potential buys, of course hoping the Z will come out ahead.

Performance, besides exterior styling, has to deliver otherwise this 400Z will be an also-ran, won't matter much for Nissan.

Anyone else with clues of what's coming?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
What a shame that they did not go into the proposed power plant, pop the hood or say anything about the suspension. I know it’s going to end up being a very decent car. I hope that the turbos will be reliable. I’m at the point now I just want to hear a proposed date. I just hope next time they talk about the car they hire someone who can talk and communicate better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What a shame that they did not go into the proposed power plant, pop the hood or say anything about the suspension. I know it’s going to end up being a very decent car. I hope that the turbos will be reliable. I’m at the point now I just want to hear a proposed date. I just hope next time they talk about the car they hire someone who can talk and communicate better.
Good call on the turbos. I hope they put something in that we can turn the boost up on with out them exploding.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Good call on the turbos. I hope they put something in that we can turn the boost up on with out them exploding.
I won’t turn up the boost just basic mods is enough for this car and track duties. Just don’t want smokey turbos.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have the turbos been problematic on the Red motors? They're the standard Garretts correct? Don't know much about them. My RB26 has the two Garrett T25s and been reliable.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Have the turbos been problematic on the Red motors? They're the standard Garretts correct? Don't know much about them. My RB26 has the two Garrett T25s and been reliable.
My research seems to show few cases then not on people who put full down pipes on with turbo seals failing. But I’m not sure I’m sold on that. It hasn’t been too alarming yet. More so on 17-18 models. One was a cracked head and warranty covered it. I say frequent quality oil changes will need to be done on these motors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ceramic exhaust wheels standard on most stock RB26s can be an issue under higher boost. On the Z I plan to upgrade everything from the turbo back and tune for additional boost as a stage one modification. I need to do some reading on the results and issues people have been having with the red sport to get a better idea of what to expect.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there hasn't been much of any aftermarket on the Q60 Red turbos setup. More seriously, I'm hoping Nissan addressed the serious brake cooling issues as with the 370Z. Per that front facia, doesn't look like any cooling ducts are part of the design, or they're hidden behind that huge garish grille opening. At least we're seeing 6-pot calipers on the proto, but it's cooling that needs to be focused on.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
On my 370Z I had Stillens brake duct cooling kit and it dropped temps over 200 degrees. That kit can easily be converted into any bumper. Might have to find particular duct to cut into the bumper but after you run the duct itself you remove the OEM dust shield and you put in place their dust shield and run the duct to it and it directs air into the center of the rotor veins. Definitely worth the $250.

So far as the six pot calipers they displayed the car on. I sure hope it comes with that. I do know when they first showed the Q60 they had those same calipers on that car and yet it didn’t come with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The brakes look great to me. 6 pots in the front 4 pot in the rear and two piece (ceramic?) disks. Bet the entry model gets a lower brake package. But compared to the brakes on my Silvia (r33 Gtst front and rear) and my stock R33 GT-R brakes they are a huge step in the right direction. We do need cooling vents in the front and ducting but I would suspect they have some plan for that but they my need modification for track work. The Nismo car will get the vented front bumper just like the 90s Skylines and Silvias.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The brakes look great to me. 6 pots in the front 4 pot in the rear and two piece (ceramic?) disks. Bet the entry model gets a lower brake package. But compared to the brakes on my Silvia (r33 Gtst front and rear) and my stock R33 GT-R brakes they are a huge step in the right direction. We do need cooling vents in the front and ducting but I would suspect they have some plan for that but they my need modification for track work. The Nismo car will get the vented front bumper just like the 90s Skylines and Silvias.
Yep, ducting and/or cooling vents are required, let's hope Nissan puts this as an option pkg. My M3 never faded on track even during high temp sessions.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone confirm we're getting the GT-R brakes? Brembos, not Akebonos. That would handle any power upgrades on top of the stock 400 hp.

Reactions: SPOHN

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Can someone confirm we're getting the GT-R brakes? Brembos, not Akebonos. That would handle any power upgrades on top of the stock 400 hp.
I’m with you. Ready for all the specs. I’m sure the suspension is 100% same as the 370. Which I’ll be happy. Parts are already plentiful. SPL here I come.

Question. What set of coilovers do you think work best?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep the Z34 suspension is just fine, aftermarket is already there. I've had very good performance out of KW V3s on a prev track car, highly tuneable. I'm sure the tuners are ready to jump on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts