Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Already some inputs here ;) including mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
they look similar but the juke NISMO RS ones had deeper side bolsters. they felt more like a straight aftermarket recaro stuck in the car as that is what it was it was a Recaro Sportster CS reupholstered with NISMO colors. the Z ones had a very similar look especially the backs but you could tell they are more of like a OEM variant. I know some guys in the Z and GTR world tried to make the Juke NISMO RS seats work in their cars but the seat rails were way too high. there might have been a couple people who had rails customized for them to fit. This was the Juke seat RECARO: RECARO - RECARO Sportster CS

the NISMO seats in the US spec GTR like mine are kind of lame. they are just NISMO color OEM GTR black edition seats with alcantara inserts and a recaro badge. the non US spec are top of the line carbon fiber backed $17K Recaro SPX seats. but the US couldnt get them because of some kind of DOT regulation. when I asked nissan why they said the air bag needs to be able to break through the shell or something like that. I bought the reasoning until I saw a Porsche GT3 that had basically the same seat here in the US

here is the seats from my JUKE NISMO RS vs my GTR
Juke Nismo RS has the same seats as the 370Z Nismo.

This will sound odd but follow me......The GT-R seats were "made by" Recaro but the Juke and Nismo got straight up Recaro seats.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

This will sound odd but follow me......The GT-R seats were "made by" Recaro but the Juke and Nismo got straight up Recaro seats.
Looks like you and @MCN1SMO are consistent about the variants sold. I hope the new Z has the actual Recaros, key points for me are lowest mounting and harness slots. Power is optional, sliders would be nice but height adj not necessary. Low mounting so my helmeted head will fit with room to spare, and I'm planning to get the slicktop Z (no sunroof) to maximize this.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts

Mostly yes except the Juke and the Z didnt have the exact same recaros even though they looked very similar. there is a lot going on and a lot of variants among those cars.

shortest summary is the non us spec GTR NISMO seats were the carbon backed $16K Recaro SPX Avant custom made for nissan

the JUKE NISMO RS seats were the recaro sportster custom made for nissan but they wernt the exact same as the 370z ones. they had deeper side bolsters and the seat rails were totally different. I think the Z ones were still the sportster also but some kind of OEM hybrid tweak to them to make them a little higher end. the Juke RS ones are pretty bare bones almost like a track day seat.

now the US spec GTR NISMO seats like I have were just OEM style seats that basically had the recaro name on them sort of kinda made by recaro yes but not an actual product they already sale customized for nissan like the Z and juke. there were guys in the GTR and Z community that tried to source those Juke seats for their cars and either couldnt make it work or had to have totally new fabricated seat rails made.

I would be totally fine with the 370z ones being carried over for the new NISMO. they are great

as for the differences between juke and Z

the 370z NISMO had these

the Juke RS had these again similar but not the same. the side bolsters are more steep and a other differences but overall very very close. the Z had a more OEM feeling center insert too but made sense for a 45K car vs a 30K juke RS

meanwhile I have this 😒 they get the job done but dont have the swag of the other recaros

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
If similar options are in line with the new Z, the only 'plus' for the Nismo would be factory power bump (warranty) and the Recaros. The rest I can do without, go aftermarket with what I need it for my purpose - lowest weight Sport trim.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
Wow if this is true I'll hold out for the Nismo. I have a 5.0 and a g37x I chose the mustang over a 370 because I had the same engine in my Infiniti.

I remember reports from months back mentioning awd and referring to the Nismo Z as a baby skyline. It makes total sense too with the car being built on the q50/q60 platform. The camo cars look larger and maybe the car in Arizona with the huge wheel gap is an awd car? Who knows, but I also have a thing for awd cars. With the mustang already in my garage, I'd prefer an awd Z. Even more excited for the new Z now. It might come down to either a Z or gr86 for me in a few years, but if the Nismo is awd I may have to pony up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow if this is true I'll hold out for the Nismo. I have a 5.0 and a g37x I chose the mustang over a 370 because I had the same engine in my Infiniti.

I remember reports from months back mentioning awd and referring to the Nismo Z as a baby skyline. It makes total sense too with the car being built on the q50/q60 platform. The camo cars look larger and maybe the car in Arizona with the huge wheel gap is an awd car? Who knows, but I also have a thing for awd cars. With the mustang already in my garage, I'd prefer an awd Z. Even more excited for the new Z now. It might come down to either a Z or gr86 for me in a few years, but if the Nismo is awd I may have to pony up.
In a way it can be like what the GTS-T was to the GT-R back when it was a Japan-only model.
Also with an R36 around the corner, Nissan doesn't have to worry about stepping on the R35's toes too much.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts

I don't see awd happening, not even in the Nismo. The fact that the new Z is even happening is a miracle - and I highly doubt Nissan will front the cash to develop an awd version. Awd also doesn't make sense for the Z in my opinion as it was always intended on being rwd, short wheelbase, etc. No one knows the future however.

As to the ride height on the test cars, I just think that's what Nissan believes would be most practical for most people.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Nah, there is no need for an AWD Z, that's territory for the R35/R36. Keeping true to RWD roots, I do hope the suspension is more tuneable than the 370Z, and don't mind various susp settings included - Sport, Track, etc. Ride height, ala Model S Cheetah mode? Too much to ask LOL

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
I don't see awd happening, not even in the Nismo. The fact that the new Z is even happening is a miracle - and I highly doubt Nissan will front the cash to develop an awd version. Awd also doesn't make sense for the Z in my opinion as it was always intended on being rwd, short wheelbase, etc. No one knows the future however.

As to the ride height on the test cars, I just think that's what Nissan believes would be most practical for most people.
The car is on the same platform as the q50 and q60. The Titan and Frontier have a 9 speed and it's possible an updated or redesigned q50/q60 will get that as well and offer the cars with awd like they always have. A shorter final drive and suspension upgrades would make it right. It makes sense imho no other awd cars that are 2 seaters and under $60k. It's something the Supra doesn't offer and you can only get a manual and possibly awd in the Z. It wouldn't surprise me since the Z is being built on a FM once again.

I'd like to see it happen because a new GTR is unattainable for most of us and I think an awd Nismo would do well in sales and performance. We shall see. I'd love two rwd and an awd model for this car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
But then people trying to replicate the Nismo through bodykits, suspension, recaros and wheels quickly realise 10k is how much it cost....the wheels alone are £4000 on the mark 1.....and £3000 on mark 2 Nismo...Recaros are £2500...Coilovers around £900. Bodykits plus spray paints £2000 just under . Tune plus Ecutek close to 1k. Then the other mechanical parts that make the car stiffer. Exhaust and all other bits.

In UK Nismo isnt significantly different in price.....I dont remember it being more that £3000 difference.....Soon started discounting at £36k new.

If its deemed a gimmick Tamura will just say enjoy your "GT".

Nissan are always conservative with power hikes. More reliability. Cant see it being more than 450hp. Its a rear wheel drive. Cant see them going all wheel drive either....

Stronger clutch, suspension upgrade, aero and exhaust is usually prioritised over pure power. I rather stick to the GT this time around and modify it myself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The car is on the same platform as the q50 and q60. The Titan and Frontier have a 9 speed and it's possible an updated or redesigned q50/q60 will get that as well and offer the cars with awd like they always have. A shorter final drive and suspension upgrades would make it right. It makes sense imho no other awd cars that are 2 seaters and under $60k. It's something the Supra doesn't offer and you can only get a manual and possibly awd in the Z. It wouldn't surprise me since the Z is being built on a FM once again.

I'd like to see it happen because a new GTR is unattainable for most of us and I think an awd Nismo would do well in sales and performance. We shall see. I'd love two rwd and an awd model for this car.
The "Skyline" as it is called in Japan, which is our Q50 and Q60 here in the states, is not receiving a next generation sedan or coupe, according to Nissan Japan. They are letting those (Q50/Q60) languish. I think that does not bode well for the Q60 in USA. Maybe we'll get the 9AT??

Nissan never, ever teased AWD on the FM Z's. I would be shocked if Nissan offered the Z35 in AWD.
As it is, I plan on replacing my AWD Q60 with a Z35, and I am somewhat torn on that because the Nissan AWD is far better than our Subarus we have owned, and I worry that 400hp+ in a 2 seater RWD coupe in WA State would be a handful 50% of the year due to our weather.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sales were slow in EU. They should have moved to hybrid around the time the Q60 Black S was touted. It makes sense for Infiniti aka Nissan Plus to be fully electrified while majority of Nissan remain hybrid petrol post 2022. They can keep the Z ICE till the facelift where it can be changed to Hybrid say in 2026 and introduced to new markets. The R36 will have to comply with noise laws in Japan anyway. It will most likely be a hybrid too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sales were slow in EU. They should have moved to hybrid around the time the Q60 Black S was touted.
The FM platform can not be adapted to hybrid, there's absolutely no room for the equipment.
To accomplish hybrid versions of these cars will require new platforms, only time will tell if that occurs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Nissan never, ever teased AWD on the FM Z's. I would be shocked if Nissan offered the Z35 in AWD.
As it is, I plan on replacing my AWD Q60 with a Z35, and I am somewhat torn on that because the Nissan AWD is far better than our Subarus we have owned, and I worry that 400hp+ in a 2 seater RWD coupe in WA State would be a handful 50% of the year due to our weather.
I'd rather NOT have the Z35 to be awd. When I tracked my STi years ago it was faultless handling wise, point and shoot car with mild understeer. But it was never as fun as a rwd platform. Now with the Z35 coming in at 400hp, lots of grins to be expected. More finesse perfecting corners and exits, drifts. Really looking forward to that, but only if the chassis can handle the power. Weight should not be an issue.

Leave the awd with the R35/36 if that lasts in years ahead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The FM platform can not be adapted to hybrid, there's absolutely no room for the equipment.
To accomplish hybrid versions of these cars will require new platforms, only time will tell if that occurs, but I wouldn't bet on it.
One of the biggest things I wish would change about the automotive industry... or possibly the automotive culture at large...

This dogged practice of trying to change existing things into new things... rather than just making new things as an original item.

Trying to make Mustang into an EV CUV, or a range of Ford cars, rather than a specific model.
Trying to make GTO into a model name, instead of a very specific and aggressive trim level.
Trying to make 911 into a touring car, or debating whether it should be electric.
Trying to make Blazer into a camaro-styled CUV, rather than a truck-based SUV like Bronco and Wrangler.
Trying to make people call sedans with 4 side doors coupes solely based on a slightly raked rear roofline.
And so on...

Why make Nissan Z into a hybrid?

Why not make something ELSE a performance hybrid, and giving it a new name, or using a defunct name like Pulsar, or something.

Imagine a VR30DDTT powering a PHEV drivetrain with Koenigsegg like fluid drive and electric traction motors... and bringing the tech of McLaren Artura and Ferrari 296 GTB down to the mainstream.

Front engine with a generator/starter, rear electric axle and fluid coupler from the front engine for cruising.

Optional front electric motors on either side of the engine for front eAWD and additional regenerative braking, wouldn't even require the 6th driveshaft that R35 GTR does from the rear transaxle to the front diff.

That could expand the next generation Skyline/Infiniti lineup, for Coupe, Convertible, Sedan, CUV, wagon,

Nissan Z does not need to be that, at least not right now. It just needs to re-establish a mainstream 2-seat sports car between Miata and Corvette or Porsche.

·
Registered
293 Posts
One of the biggest things I wish would change about the automotive industry... or possibly the automotive culture at large...

This dogged practice of trying to change existing things into new things... rather than just making new things as an original item.
Kind of like how every major city just took an existing, usually crappy road, and renamed it Martin Luther King, instead of making a new road or bridge.......

21 - 40 of 74 Posts