Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere - is Nissan going to stick with a hydraulic power steering system? I loved the steering feel on the 370, wouldn't want to lose that to an EPS setup. But given industry trends I am not hopeful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm going to guess that any version with lane keep assist would have EPS. Unfortunately.
Nissan has the worst EPS, according to Infiniti Q reviews.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Is this what we're talking about, DAS? There's been some tramlining issues, mostly with runflats I believe. I hope the Z comes with hydraulic but doubt it, new technology for the safety moguls ugh!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We'll see, the Z35 may end up like the WRX. 6MT WRXs don't have driver assist, but the CVT versions do.
I know the Infiniti Q's still come with hydraulic PS on certain models, so maybe Nissan will have EPS on 9AT with driver assist, and Hydraulic PS on 6MT because they can't implement driver assist on MT cars....
Heck, they still have a manual handbrake, so there's hope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope Nissan is sticking with hydraulic steering. It would make sense since they are re-using a bunch of 370z parts, and they are going for a more pure driving experience by sticking with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since the platform is essentially the 370, won't it come with that steering type?
The 370Z (Z34) is essentially mechanically the same as the G37 Coupe (CV36) aside from the CV36 being a 2+2 and having AWD available.

The new Nissan Z (Z35) is essentially mechanically the same as the Q60 (CV37) aside from the CV37 being a 2+2 and having AWD available.

Just as the new Z35 is essentially a 370, the Z's have always been essentially the same as the Infiniti coupes. Only major mechanical difference has been the AWD availability. Oh, and that weird time a Mercedes 2.0T was available in the Infiniti Q's...that was super strange!

Oh, and looking at it from a manufacturer's perspective, the new Z will be using the Q60's drivetrain architecture, so the EPS has already been coded in to this newer drivetrain family.
My guess is that it mirrors the Q60, some with EPS, some without.
My hope is that there is no EPS at all! Nissan has the worst EPS, according to most reviewers. I've never driven one, but my wife's car has EPS...and it it obviously different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Z35 will have the same hydraulic steering that the Z35 had, it will be a direct carryover - there will be no steer by wire here.

Blind Spot, Auto Cruise, Park Distance, 360 Camera.

We're getting a 370Z with a bodykit and a VR30 motor swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Z35 will have the same hydraulic steering that the Z35 had, it will be a direct carryover - there will be no steer by wire here.

I hope so, i just know if its getting hydraulic, it would need a pump mounted to the accessory belt, that i think the vr30 never had before. Financially speaking, itd make more sense to have the epas from the q60 but no drive by wire

·
Registered
183 Posts
It really depends on if nissan wants to save money by transfering the whole unit, or save the hydro steering and pump, then lower the fuel efficiency and power of the vr30 in the name of feel.

Which i doubt
I doubt they'd add hydraulic PS. I haven't seen much under the hood of VR30 cars, but I wonder if they use the free space from not having a PS pump for other things? I highly doubt there's a big ol' empty spot on the front of the VR30 just waiting for a PS pump.

I think the guys that are swapping the VR30 are using the EPS rack.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Is this based on some insider information? Because as much as I'd love it given the Z's lousy side and rear sightlines, I don''t see the new Z getting a 360 degree camera setup. Those are typically reserved for luxury cars and larger SUVS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts