Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Compare to this shot of an F12 from a somewhat similar angle to see what I’m talking about, even making allowances for photo angle differences there is no missing the much sleeker look of the Ferrari above the front wheels. It’s got a lower hood and cowl and a slightly taller greenhouse which IMO gives it a more exotic look. (Of course the F12’s larger wheels also eat up some of that space above the wheel arches.)
Edit: added shot of 370 for comparison. It looks to about midway between the F12 and the teased image wrt fender height.

Valid point.

But we need to be realistic and consider what an automaker can actually bring to market in this segment. Along with if this extra front side profile height is worth the trade off of say... better powertrain packaging that benefits the Z's performance in ways unlike its rivals.

The new Supra has this sort of shape and I love it.

Plus, some color options might help. Lighter colors could hide the height a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Supra too small. I think the Z will be longer and more spacious. Not as long as an f12 but command more road presence.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Saw one on local streets, just doesn't look aggressive enough compared to the Mark IV. Friend of mine thought it was a Miata RF, sums it up.. I hope the Z has that aggressiveness like the current gen Cayman, wide stance!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Supra too small. I think the Z will be longer and more spacious. Not as long as an f12 but command more road presence.
Maybe.

The new Z will be on the latest version of Nissan's FM platform so 370Z dimensions will come in handy for this:

Toyota SupraNissan 370Z
Wheelbase97.2 inches100.4 Inches
Length172.5 inches167.2 Inches
Width73.0 inches72.6 Inches
Height50.9 inches51.8 Inches

·
Registered
12 Posts
Valid point.

But we need to be realistic and consider what an automaker can actually bring to market in this segment. Along with if this extra front side profile height is worth the trade off of say... better powertrain packaging that benefits the Z's performance in ways unlike its rivals....
There is no doubt Ferrari spent mucho pesos to get the front end that low on the F12, and it's not realistic to expect that radical a look for the 400Z, but I hope they do better than that official teaser image suggests. Not a fan personally of the front end of the Supra, too blocky and high, and it impedes forward visibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe.

The new Z will be on the latest version of Nissan's FM platform so 370Z dimensions will come in handy for this:

Toyota SupraNissan 370Z
Wheelbase97.2 inches100.4 Inches
Length172.5 inches167.2 Inches
Width73.0 inches72.6 Inches
Height50.9 inches51.8 Inches
The current 370Z dimensions are just about perfect in my book, big enough to be a bit more practical as a sole vehicle than a Miata, but still nice and compact. Now it just needs to lose the fat - 3000 pounds would be ideal.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Now it just needs to lose the fat - 3000 pounds would be ideal.
That’s less than any Porsche. The current weight of the 370z is about the best it will get. Plus or minus a 100. With safety standers so high with cost it just has to be. Weight can be an advantage also. Look at the GTR. It was designed that way. Course they had to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Obviously there are cost considerations but I'd gladly pay an extra 2 or 3 k for the use of more aluminum and ultra strength steel in order to lose 200 pounds. In my test drives of the 370Z I found it a bit too heavy to be really agile feeling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is no doubt Ferrari spent mucho pesos to get the front end that low on the F12, and it's not realistic to expect that radical a look for the 400Z, but I hope they do better than that official teaser image suggests. Not a fan personally of the front end of the Supra, too blocky and high, and it impedes forward visibility.
I'm 100% sure Nissan will launch it like that with NISMO versions possibly getting a slightly wider body. It will help with the front end. Aside from that, this will be a great area for aftermarket brands to fill in as they have in the past with +15mm or +20mm wide front fenders :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
That’s less than any Porsche. The current weight of the 370z is about the best it will get. Plus or minus a 100. With safety standers so high with cost it just has to be. Weight can be an advantage also. Look at the GTR. It was designed that way. Course they had to.
I don't think weight is ever an advantage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What cars are we comparing a Z's weight to? Porsche Caymans which cost 30k more? Miatas which have tiny engines and small dimensions?

The likelihood of a 3000lb Z is slim to none. The cost to make a car that light in today's day and age with safety regs, tech, etc would offset the performance per dollar ratio the Z tries to stay within. I wish we could get that too, but it won't happen.

At best this car will be 3300lbs, but more likely it's 34-3500. It will have a twin turbo 6 engine. That thing won't be light.

As long as they get the performance and balance right it will be great. Look at those tank Camaro's. They handle like gems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What cars are we comparing a Z's weight to? Porsche Caymans which cost 30k more? Miatas which have tiny engines and small dimensions?

The likelihood of a 3000lb Z is slim to none. The cost to make a car that light in today's day and age with safety regs, tech, etc would offset the performance per dollar ratio the Z tries to stay within. I wish we could get that too, but it won't happen.

At best this car will be 3300lbs, but more likely it's 34-3500. It will have a twin turbo 6 engine. That thing won't be light.

As long as they get the performance and balance right it will be great. Look at those tank Camaro's. They handle like gems.
Agreed. We have to be realistic here.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
The debate of cars and weight has been a discussion for years. In this case the Z car. Nothing you can do about it from the manufacture. Most can get 75-100lbs off with the basic. Remove spare tire and tool kit, exhaust, wheels/tires/ lugs, and seats can lose a good bit. Depends on how far you want to go and spend. Either way its really not an issue IMO. The Z is a great car all the way around and this new Z I feel is going to be that much more special over past models. A lot of people talk about all the different perspectives of a sports car and none of them even including myself can even drive the car in stock form to the limits like a really good driver. Until you can do that, really is no need to do to many modifications until you can match that skill. Then improve the car after the limits of the car. Who am I kidding we all know we going to modify our cars. :ROFLMAO:

From a handling prospective some sway bars and decent coilovers for the average enthusiast it’s going to be one awesome car combined with the stock power. Hope Chris Harris does a review. Love that guy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The debate of cars and weight has been a discussion for years. In this case the Z car. Nothing you can do about it from the manufacture. Most can get 75-100lbs off with the basic. Remove spare tire and tool kit, exhaust, wheels/tires/ lugs, and seats can lose a good bit. Depends on how far you want to go and spend. Either way its really not an issue IMO. The Z is a great car all the way around and this new Z I feel is going to be that much more special over past models. A lot of people talk about all the different perspectives of a sports car and none of them even including myself can even drive the car in stock form to the limits like a really good driver. Until you can do that, really is no need to do to many modifications until you can match that skill. Then improve the car after the limits of the car. Who am I kidding we all know we going to modify our cars. :ROFLMAO:
I think there are several ideas here that aren't necessarily related. Being able to drive at the limits of a car is certainly a thing, but doesn't have any relation to weight. And when you talk about weight, my impression is that people are interested in lower weight because even in normal driving you can feel the difference. The feeling you get when you change direction in a car is impacted by weight and you don't need to be going for a hot lap record to feel it.

Having written that, I agree with you that the Z will likely be fine for what it is. The reality is that given the likely price of the Z, you can only choose one of the following: light weight and low power or greater weight and more power. Nissan in particular is in no position to be using exotic materials in the next Z. It's the same reason why the domestic pony cars are so heavy.

I've never been a weight junkie, so as long as I find the car engaging to drive, it could weigh 4500 lbs for all I care.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I think there are several ideas here that aren't necessarily related. Being able to drive at the limits of a car is certainly a thing, but doesn't have any relation to weight. And when you talk about weight, my impression is that people are interested in lower weight because even in normal driving you can feel the difference. The feeling you get when you change direction in a car is impacted by weight and you don't need to be going for a hot lap record to feel it.

Having written that, I agree with you that the Z will likely be fine for what it is. The reality is that given the likely price of the Z, you can only choose one of the following: light weight and low power or greater weight and more power. Nissan in particular is in no position to be using exotic materials in the next Z. It's the same reason why the domestic pony cars are so heavy.

I've never been a weight junkie, so as long as I find the car engaging to drive, it could weigh 4500 lbs for all I care.
You are right and it’s hard for me to stick to just one point. I love discussions of all aspects and can’t stick to one subject without leading to another. But that’s the beauty of passion and relating to others.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
For better or worse, those looking for the most lightweight experience will probably prefer an ND or an 86. But both of those cars won't have the power of the new Z, and I expect the new Z will be more comfortable on long drives as a grand tourer. Depends on what you want really.

For an easy weight improvement, remove spare tire + wheel and switch to lightweight wheels. Planning an exhaust upgrade anyway? You can save weight there. But at a certain point, you start to compromise the car in the pursuit of weight reduction. I'd rather have the new Z as my daily, not worry about weight, and then have a Miata NA for the weekends when I want a lightweight feel

·
Registered
37 Posts
To go further with weight reduction youre probably looking at carbon fibre fenders, hood, possibly roof at the extreme in my opinion a bit silly, lightweight battery, Lighter wheels etc

Without the use of Aluminium like Renaults Alpine and other fine materials theres not much you can do with weight. Its possible to lose 50kg etc

I definitely wont be watching Chris Harris or any journalist. Id be watching owners reviews and make my own too.

Most of these journalists are German Gang through and through and find it hard to appreciate anything thats not German. Especially here in Europe.

Ill be too busy enjoying the new car to sit on YouTube watching what they think. Im glad I didnt listen to them in regards to the 370Z.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep the materials are simply too expensive. Sucks but that's the reality of it.

A 3000lb 400hp Z would be a dream driver, but realistically it's a 3400+ car all day and that's with them still trying to keep the weight down.

As long as it's fun to drive and looks good most of us will be happy. Hopefully they can make that motor sound decent. Two turbos muffling that thing. I'd be nice to have some shove to almost redline as well instead of some mid-range torque thing, but I doubt that will happen.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts