Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing something on the prototype that it had the 370z chassis / suspension setup on it, wondering if they will update and have an entirely new platform or if they are trying to recycle some old designs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Sev995!

The new Z is supposed to be built on a "heavily updated" version of the 370's platform that should make it stiffer, tighter, stronger. So in the end it should actually feel and perform different/better but by how much is unclear at this point.

If you're familiar with the platform, what improvements would you like to see?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering to see how stiff and precise it feels, currently in a FR-S and compared to the 370 the 86 feels way more precise whereas the 370 feels more like a muscle car in the way it goes around corners.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I remember seeing something on the prototype that it had the 370z chassis / suspension setup on it, wondering if they will update and have an entirely new platform or if they are trying to recycle some old designs.
Welcome @Sev995! The closest thing we know about the suspensions is what we've seen from photos and videos unfortunately. As for the platform it's based on the 370Z but I imagine there's some tweaks to it so that it better handles the twin turbo V6.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm just wondering to see how stiff and precise it feels, currently in a Subaru BRZ and compared to the 370 the BRZ feels way more precise whereas the 370 feels more like a muscle car in the way it goes around corners.
The BRZ will handle better due to the low mounted boxer four engine. But that motor also lacks the torque and HP that the 370Z has with the VQ37VHR. Despite that, the 370Z (and the 350Z) is a much faster car on a twisty road race track.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The BRZ will handle better due to the low mounted boxer four engine. But that motor also lacks the torque and HP that the 370Z has with the VQ37VHR. Despite that, the 370Z (and the 350Z) is a much faster car on a twisty road race track.
Do you plan on trying out the new GR 86/BRZ before deciding if to get the new Z?
If having more straight line power doesn't matter as much then you could easily look past the Z.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you plan on trying out the new GR 86/BRZ before deciding if to get the new Z?
If having more straight line power doesn't matter as much then you could easily look past the Z.
Most of the community is somewhat against the new 86. Looks are not on par with what we wanted. I'm currently at 241hp on my FRS and I'm assuming after the mods come out for the new platform, people will reach 270ish on NA. Personally I really think the back end is bad looking and would rather bump to something near 350-400 with FI as stock. Looking to hit high 11s or low 12s instead of going from my 13.9 to a (guessing for new 86) 13.7 car

·
Registered
177 Posts
Most of the community is somewhat against the new 86. Looks are not on par with what we wanted. I'm currently at 241hp on my FRS and I'm assuming after the mods come out for the new platform, people will reach 270ish on NA. Personally I really think the back end is bad looking and would rather bump to something near 350-400 with FI as stock. Looking to hit high 11s or low 12s instead of going from my 13.9 to a (guessing for new 86) 13.7 car
The new 86 is FAR better looking than the last one.

The "community" likes what they have. I am disappointed in the engine. Again. I am sure the 86 handles great. But, it is difficult to deploy that ability on public streets. You can, however, flex some twin turbo V6 muscle from time-to-time, and to me the very few thousand dollar difference between a Z and 86 is totally worth it. I am sure a new Z can hold its own on a track.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of us were excited since the new engine would be a plus but most complaints came from the tail lights / how the rear bumper has 0 resemblance to the current gen and the end as a whole looking a little wack. Overall car shape is great and front end looks good. 86 bumper looks great but the brz one with the smile looks bad imo.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
Even though the twins we're down on power, most editors and enthusiast still preferred it over the 370z. We'll see if it is any different for the next generation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Even though the twins we're down on power, most editors and enthusiast still preferred it over the 370z. We'll see if it is any different for the next generation.
On a track. I highly doubt someone would choose one of the twins over a Z as a daily driver (aside from 2 seater vs. 4 seater aspect) if the slight cost difference were disregarded.

I'd probably love driving the 86 or a Miata on a track too.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
On a track. I highly doubt someone would choose one of the twins over a Z as a daily driver (aside from 2 seater vs. 4 seater aspect) if the slight cost difference were disregarded.

I'd probably love driving the 86 or a Miata on a track too.
Most people don't drive on tracks and still preferred the twins over the Z. It didn't come down to cost, lack of power, or having two backseats with no legroom either. It was the better car in the eyes of most on and off the track.

The new twins have an even lower center of gravity, more grunt in lower rpms, more hp, and are 50% more rigid than before. I feel the new Z will need more than turbos and a 9 speed going for it. Looking forward to more details about the weight and improvements over the 370.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most people don't drive on tracks and still preferred the twins over the Z. It didn't come down to cost, lack of power, or having two backseats with no legroom either. It was the better car in the eyes of most on and off the track.
Hmmm, citations needed.

I don't doubt that there are people who prefer the twins, but this is a very broad statement that would require substantial proof to use as a foundational argument. Further, we'd need to drill down to the precise reasoning for such a mass disparity in preference, if one truly exists, in order to determine what the new Z really needs to improve on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This was certainly the view of most reviewers. Of the several head-to-head and group reviews I`ve seen over the years not one preferred the 370Z to the twins, despite the latters' weak engine and rather agricultural sounds. The new twins will be strong competition for the new Z, unless the Z comes in at a very low starting price - right now in Canada a base 370Z is/was about the same as a loaded twin.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
What I'm seeing on tracks here is, it depends on the track config. Here, wide open tracks like Auto Club Speedway Roval and Willow Springs favor higher hp cars, more Zs with better times than BRZ/GR twins, while techy Buttonwillow equalizes the field more. I do see more 350Zs than 370Zs, though, probably more from affordability and aftermarket than chassis performance. All this I'm not including heavily modded time attack setups where engine and susp mods are way up there, only comparing typical track cars most of us bring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After driving a modded one for 6 years, once you get some wide grippy rims / tires and fix the torque dip, you can just slam it around every corner without losing much traction and pull out of it without having to worry about too much power to lose traction. It's really just a 0-50 car no pull past that. When modded with stock rims/tires, the ability to lose traction around a corner is almost too easy since you can maintain the lower speed drift. Going out at 2am when it's raining and being able to slide at under 3k rpm is a blast too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What I'm seeing on tracks here is, it depends on the track config. Here, wide open tracks like Auto Club Speedway Roval and Willow Springs favor higher hp cars, more Zs with better times than BRZ/GR twins, while techy Buttonwillow equalizes the field more. I do see more 350Zs than 370Zs, though, probably more from affordability and aftermarket than chassis performance. All this I'm not including heavily modded time attack setups where engine and susp mods are way up there, only comparing typical track cars most of us bring.
If you haven't watched this japanese racing channel please check it out. Best MOTORring official and their tongue head to head battles. Shows a really tight small track and they have different battles between all JDM cars. Once you get on the hyper windy roads, rx7, s2000, and the twins are the most competitive. When they do their more open circuit racing, other more powerful cars take the spotlight and those 3 don't show up as leaders.

·
Registered
105 Posts
86 also lighter by 300 kg which makes a difference in handling and precision. Imagine it at 330-370hp. Tempting indeed.

Nissan mentioned producing carbon fiber in one of their shareholders meeting. I wonder how much will be used in the Z

1 - 20 of 32 Posts