Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Yea I have thought long and hard on going FI, with the 400z coming out, I would rather have a stock 400hp engine to work on than a 350-400 one with possible problems. If I ever choose to go in the direction of keeping that car and going FI, I will need to get a new DD. For the carbon fiber on the 400z, they should make a full carbon fiber one for all of us to gawk at then to check our wallets and frown.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This was certainly the view of most reviewers. Of the several head-to-head and group reviews I`ve seen over the years not one preferred the 370Z to the twins, despite the latters' weak engine and rather agricultural sounds. The new twins will be strong competition for the new Z, unless the Z comes in at a very low starting price - right now in Canada a base 370Z is/was about the same as a loaded twin.
I'd be curious to know the reasoning. Again, that's what we'll need to drill down on if we're considering what the forthcoming Z requires to change these particular minds. Unless, of course, the Z by nature simply appeals to a different buyer. That could be, also. Like, for instance, I would be willing to bet that the same kind of review would pin the current MX-5 as a superior sports car to 370Z as well (and it very well might be), which illustrates a potentially significant divide in what vehicle characteristics one might value most in this space.

Frankly, I don't especially consider these to be head-to-head competitors but, rather, more so just tangentially occupying an overlapping marketspace while possessing starkly different characteristics (power being a big piece of that puzzle). Still, we need the Z to be successful so being compared favorably to other offerings - however different - will be a huge help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just wanted to say my wife prefers her Corolla over everything. According to her it's better than a Tesla model3, and yes she's driven one.

Those of you who are already fans of the 86 and are waiting to see if Nissan addresses whatever it is you find lacking in the chassis, well you'll likely be unimpressed by the outcome as I'm sure the new Z (not a 400Z, ok) won't be much different dynamically from the 370Z. So you can continue to espouse the certain superior traits of the car you already prefer.

There's a couple of things that make the new Z far superior to an 86:

Mullets and gold chains look so much better in the Z. Indisputable fact.

Power around town will be ridiculously far superior over the 86, to me that is worth more than intangible chassis dynamics.

The current Z handles plenty well.

All those who think an 86 is so great, I'm sure there's some Miata and S2000 owners that'd like to have a word or 2 with y'all.

The Z was never king of the hill slayer at every track. Throughout the decades Z's have had competition from crappy little Euro rust bucket convertibles, random Corvettes and random homebrew machines.

Anyway, I'd like a new 86 as my 3rd or 4th car. Definitely be a good runabout.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well its amazing its being released at all. Since they dont care much for us over here in EU it is what it is. Its either older cars or newer alternatives unless you have real cash an an extra £10k is nothing then thats okay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wanted to say my wife prefers her Corolla over everything. According to her it's better than a Tesla model3, and yes she's driven one.

Those of you who are already fans of the 86 and are waiting to see if Nissan addresses whatever it is you find lacking in the chassis, well you'll likely be unimpressed by the outcome as I'm sure the new Z (not a 400Z, ok) won't be much different dynamically from the 370Z. So you can continue to espouse the certain superior traits of the car you already prefer.

Power around town will be ridiculously far superior over the 86, to me that is worth more than intangible chassis dynamics.

All those who think an 86 is so great, I'm sure there's some Miata and S2000 owners that'd like to have a word or 2 with y'all.

The Z was never king of the hill slayer at every track. Throughout the decades Z's have had competition from crappy little Euro rust bucket convertibles, random Corvettes and random homebrew machines.

I wish a T-Top was offered so I had an excuse to grow out a sick mullet..

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts

I'm a fan of many cars. Muscle, GTRs, Zs, sport compacts, jdm legends, awd, Porsche, Vette, Audi, VW, old Hondas,, BMW, na, turbo, 86, you name it. The 86 deserves and gets a lot of praise no way around it. I'm sure s2k and miata owners would agree.

I owned a new ap2 s2k for almost a year, but ultimately traded it for a 04 STi and never really looked back. I fell in love with the STi and at the time much preferred it. 15 years later the new 86 is looking to be what I wanted from the s2k (practically same weight, size, but more torque at a lower rpm).

You can't find a review with the 370 and BRZ/86 in which they prefer the Nissan. I've driven both platforms and yeah I get it. I prefer it too despite the power disadvantage. You can always get more power, but the 370 will never feel like the 86/BRZ or be able to shed hundreds of pounds.

A gen 3 Coyote with a 10r80 will sit in my garage for a very long time so the next car doesn't have to be as powerful or quick. I doubt the new Z would be mod for mod or in stock form even with a weight advantage. Time will tell, but don't knock the 86. I may end up with a new Z, but won't have anything bad to say about the Toyota/Subaru. The last gen deserved all the credit it got and the next one on paper and in early reviews is proving to be an improvement in performance.

Factory turbo cars aren't always as reliable as na. Drive belts are snapping left and right on stock and 400+ whp vr30s. I hope the new Z doesn't have the same issues as q50/q60s owners are experiencing.

I'm considering the new Supra, Z, WRX, and gr86. In about two years if or when the first model year issues for both come to light on the Z and gr86 come to light I'll be able to make that choice (y)

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can't find a review with the 370 and BRZ/86 in which they prefer the Nissan. I've driven both platforms and yeah I get it. I prefer it too despite the power disadvantage. You can always get more power, but the 370 will never feel like the 86/BRZ or be able to shed hundreds of pounds.
Perhaps not, though similarly, you can scarcely find a review of high end sports cars in which the 911 is an option that it does not come out on the top of the pile. That doesn't equate to it being an inherently more desirable vehicle, I would argue, but rather simply better engineered, etc, etc. So, I won't say that this apparent (semi-)consensus is representative of the priorities of individual car buyers. For example, if you have thresholds or criteria that certain cars do not meet (specifically not in their factory forms), then you'll weigh things out differently in terms of preference.

I did some very cursory digging regarding comparisons and the lack of power in the 86/BRZ is frequently mentioned as a criticism, even if the overall conclusion is that either is a better engineered car than, say, the 370Z. This is where we get to the individual buyer aspect of things - I, as one example, would not purchase a car that I find to be so underpowered in its factory state, so it takes the 86 off the table for me as a buyer. If I were to review the 370Z and 86/BRZ side-by-side, however, I could potentially conclude that the Z is objectively an inferior overall product while still holding my preferences as a buyer that would remove the 86/BRZ from the equation in that regard.

I hope that the new Z has similar driving dynamics to the current Z from a handling perspective - I'd be just fine with that, personally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While I've driven or raced a variety of lower-powered cars on racetracks around the country, the Z always had an advantage with power off the turns (assuming equal tires) and top end at the end of a straightaway. It's why the SCCA comp board has saddled the 350/370Z with restrictors and weight (lead) in class. Not that the tables can't be turned, as the ponycar V8s or turbo cars can also outpower the Z on road racing tracks in the next higher class.

having said all that, the revised BRZ/GR86 hold little interest for me. If I wanted to go that route, the MX5 roadster is more appealing for several reasons.

·
Registered
177 Posts
having said all that, the revised BRZ/GR86 hold little interest for me. If I wanted to go that route, the MX5 roadster is more appealing for several reasons.
If you are going to go the "underpowered momentum machine" route I would far prefer the Miata MX5. I can trade a gutless 4 banger for some drop-top action.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If I wanted to go that route, the MX5 roadster is more appealing for several reasons.
[/QUOTE] Idk about the roadster. My brother had a 2016 one and they arnt more enjoyable than the FRS. I haven't tried the new one tho, it's what like .8sec faster 0-60 and my brothers wasn't modded at the time.

·
Registered
454 Posts

I wish I could grow out a million dollar mullet.
It's scientifically proven a good mullet adds at least 5 hp to the car.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts