Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I want to see Nissan include.............. MORE INFORMATION. Just saying.
I'm totally with you, no recent news is just baaad news from Nissan's marketing at least. I may be looking at other options hah!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I'm totally with you, no recent news is just baaad news from Nissan's marketing at least. I may be looking at other options hah!
I have time to spare. At the same time I have no other interest in any other car. No one makes anything up my alley. A ten year old Porsche is to much. New Corvette doesn’t do it for me as with any automatic car. This Z hits that sweet spot.

As you stated it just has to be a bad marketing idea to hold out. Give full details or base idea even if it’s delayed.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
With Mazdaspeed going away, sure hope Nismo will be around much longer. About the only way you can add upgrades while staying under warranty. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I won't mind that if they need to cut costs somewhere. But the digital dash is pretty cool.
That also has me wondering what would be okay for Nissan to NOT include.
Yeah, I suppose I can agree with that statement. I wish they kinda kept the tach anolog and put monitors on both sides, but I'm assuming that would be more expensive cause you'd have to have a monitors on both sides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The most important thing I'd love for Nissan to include with the 400Z is ethics training for their dealers.

I've owned well over 100 cars in over 45 years of driving (yeah, I'm that old...), about half of them bought new. In my personal experiences, for whatever reasons, Nissan dealers have always been the sleaziest of them all, played the most games, and made the buying experience the most unpleasant.

About a year and a half ago, I was shopping for a 'just in case' sports car, something 'just in case' Nissan didn't actually come out with the 400Z. It was down to the 370Z or the Subaru BRZ. I much preferred the 370Z and tried hard to buy one. But, every dealer I tried to buy one from insisted on playing games, usually with pricing. It was always one price on the phone or in emails, and then something completely different when I would show up in person to try and buy the car.

Twice I showed up with a cashier's check in full payment for what I thought was the agreed-upon price, and both times I left empty-handed, when the dealer preferred to play games and have me walk away rather than honor a deal.

It wasn't just the dealers. Nissan itself was complicit. The advertised prices for cars show big discounts, but the fine print revealed multiple mutually-exclusive conditions for various promotions. How likely is it that one person can be all of 'recent college graduate' + 'ex-military' + 'current Nissan owner' + 'uses Nissan financing' + 'special regional discounts'?

In contrast, the Subaru dealers couldn't have been more straightforward and forthright. We had already bought two Subarus before, my daily driver WRX and my wife's Crosstrek (from two different dealers), and both times the experiences couldn't have been easier. It was the same with the BRZ (which I ended up buying from yet another dealer). All the Subaru dealers I contacted, on all three of those cars, were happy to provide up-front pricing by email and phone, the pricing was straightforward and excellent (pretty much dealer cost) without any games or bait-and-switch. On each deal the dealer was basically selling the car for the holdback. Each time we went in to pick up the car took less than 20 minutes, without the usual financing department, extended warranty, paint protection, or other soul-sucking games,

One view on this might be different supply and demand fundamentals between the cars. But the painless and honest Subaru dealer experiences contrasted with the circus side show gamesmanship of 6 different Nissan dealers I tried was enough to sway me to buy the BRZ.

From what I've read, I'd love to buy the new Z, and very much look forward to taking several long test drives. It's hopefully something to look forward to on the other side of this surrealistic pandemic. But if the Nissan dealers play the same games as before, I might end up with a new 2022 BRZ.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, I suppose I can agree with that statement. I wish they kinda kept the tach anolog and put monitors on both sides, but I'm assuming that would be more expensive cause you'd have to have a monitors on both sides.
3D digital instrument clusters are a thing now and can help with giving that analog feel.
That I won't mind.

Would you be willing to pay extra for a fancy tach as part of a tech package if done right?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I hope this translates to an excellent driver's car, where the basic power and suspension dynamics are solid, even before any aftermarket mods. I'm hoping for adjustable coilovers, mapped drive modes, trusty BBK as std or option. We're still waiting for all the hardware specs, come on Nissan.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Still waiting.....I'm starting to believe Nissan has NO new changes in the suspension and chassis to do anymore 'reveals' with; the new Z has identical underpinnings as the 370Z, which is not bad in its outright, but nothing of new design. Good thing is, the aftermarket is already there if so.

As the older Carbuzz article says: The Z Proto has an axle to axle measurement of about 255 cm, which is identical to that of the 370Z. Why would Nissan go to great lengths in designing an all-new RWD platform only for it to have the same dimensions as before? The fact is it wouldn't. Designing and engineering any new vehicle platform from the ground-up requires a hefty budget and a few years' time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I don't think there's any doubt that this is a modified 370z. Hopefully it's tweaked in just the right way to improve the handling experience for this extra power output.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I won't mind that if they need to cut costs somewhere. But the digital dash is pretty cool.
That also has me wondering what would be okay for Nissan to NOT include.
On a "new" vehicle (well, one with a totally different interior at least) the full-LCD cluster is the cheaper way to go.
It costs a lot of money to develop a cluster with all of the necessary servo motors, microprocessors, fancy backlighting, backlit needles, etc. Personally, I like the new 2021 Armada cluster, 7" LCD flanked by analog gauges. Best of both.
My friend has a Cadillac CTS-V and an Escalade both with full-LCD clusters. Just like on the Z Proto, there is a washed-out gray-ness to them at night. The black levels are not very good.
Anyways, it would just be cheaper to throw an LCD panel in there and use software to define the look and function of "gauges". Of course, because full LCD is a new thing, many automakers are touting it in higher trims as an "upgrade", but in reality they are reaping the benefits of lower costs.

Personally, I don't mind either way. May be the last 2 seater ICE car offered by an actual JDM company, I'll take what I can get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^ Yeah it seems like that would be the case. Honestly I wish they would just leave the middle dash analog, but I guess that's a thing of the past... Shame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really really hope Nissan offers a "Performance" version of the Z that doesn't bundle in BS that increases costs.
I would like to be able to buy a Z with upgraded brakes, the 400HP RS engine (or whatever tune the VR30 will be running around the RS levels) a good rear diff and 6MT. With a cloth interior.

It happens so often with car manufacturers these days that to get an upgraded engine, they stick you with expensive interior options that have nothing to do with the engine. Or, worse yet, they stick you with only an AT transmission.

I don't want to have to pay for alcantara, leather, forged fancy-expensive wheels. I would just like the good performance bits with a basic interior. Seeing as how this may be the last ICE Z, and possibly one of the last "new" 2-seat ICE sporty cars we'll ever see, I plan on keeping the car for a long time.

I also hope they offer some better color choices. I've also been looking at the new 2021 Armada, great refresh, but the color choices are terrible! They're still painting Nissans in 2021 with color code NAH, which has been around for 20 years and doesn't even look very good! (It's a tomato red pearl)

·
Registered
8 Posts
^ Yeah it seems like that would be the case. Honestly I wish they would just leave the middle dash analog, but I guess that's a thing of the past... Shame.
I believe the trio gauges are going to be analog. I'll take it. I'd prefer the main cluster to be partially analog also, but I highly doubt Nissan is going to spend money to make more than one kind of cluster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Small detail - I would also liked if Nissan didn't reuse the same keyfob as the 370!
I already know it's going to be the same. If you look at the Z Proto dash, lower left side, it has the same fail-safe key fob dock as all Nissans and Infinitis.
The 2021 Nissans and Infinitis have the same key fob as my G coupe.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I sure hope some of the GT-R 'performance' functions carry over to the 400Z, see 1:48 on, below.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sure hope some of the GT-R 'performance' functions carry over to the 400Z, see 1:48 on, below.

I'd hope so also. I had this function in my 2016 GTI.

I'd think, depending on Nissan's future intentions with the GT-R will drive any decision to add this to the Z. If they plan to keep the GT-R around a while longer, then maybe some limited functions in the Z. If they plan to kill the R35 off, then maybe the exact same thing will be made available on the new Z??

BTW, I never used it on my GTI. I had a JB4 on it (which will also be available to us with the VR30 Z) so much of the data was incorrect anyway. And, distracting to look at, it was down on the dash (like the new Z) not in a good place to look at. Would be better to have that info show up in the cluster!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts