Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've done some lurking on the Q50/Q60 forums. It seems the two most common modifications are:

1. Oil catch can. Removing the heads on this press to do walnut blasting is pretty labor intensive.

2. Upgraded heat exchanger, especially if you plan to drive hard on occasion or live in a warmer climate. Once these engines get heat soaked, they lose a lot of performance. AMS makes an Infinity branded heat exchanger you can purchase and have installed at the Infinity dealerships that won't void the warranty. It stands to reason they will do something similar for the Z through Nissan dealers.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
I've done some lurking on the Q50/Q60 forums. It seems the two most common modifications are:

1. Oil catch can. Removing the heads on this press to do walnut blasting is pretty labor intensive.

2. Upgraded heat exchanger, especially if you plan to drive hard on occasion or live in a warmer climate. Once these engines get heat soaked, they lose a lot of performance. AMS makes an Infinity branded heat exchanger you can purchase and have installed at the Infinity dealerships that won't void the warranty. It stands to reason they will do something similar for the Z through Nissan dealers.
Agreed in spades. Although to walnut blast, you don't actually have to remove the heads - at least you don't on the bimmers I've seen it done on. On the VR30, however, there is quite a bit to remove to get to the heads nonetheless - partial intake removal, intercoolers, plenum, etc.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
What brand of oil catch can setup works well on the VR30? Know that I’ll be tracking the Z at least 75% of the time, this is important.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
What brand of oil catch can setup works well on the VR30? Know that I’ll be tracking the Z at least 75% of the time, this is important.

Thanks!
Can't speak from experience on this one, but addw1 seems to be popular. What I could tell from design and mounting, however, leads me to believe that the Mishimoto can is a little sturdier in its mounting solution - but again, I have no experience with either.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
But remember, that's on a straight 6 engine, your V6 with dual heads might cost way more in labor. Plus I had an independent shop, BMW specialty, do the work, any dealer cost will be much more.
Yea, I anticipate it will be way more on the VR30.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Thanks!
Can't speak from experience on this one, but addw1 seems to be popular. What I could tell from design and mounting, however, leads me to believe that the Mishimoto can is a little sturdier in its mounting solution - but again, I have no experience with either.
Both the ADD W1 and the Mishimoto ones seem to be favourably reviewed from what I've seen on other sites. There's also one from Burger Motorsports but I haven't seen as much talked about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This might be foolish optimism, but wondering if Nissan might take into consideration these issues from the Q50/60 and address them from the factory with the Z? Obviously yes, both cars are performance-oriented in nature, but the Z will be a few degrees more...sporty? in the sense of being 2-door coupe, etc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This might be foolish optimism, but wondering if Nissan might take into consideration these issues from the Q50/60 and address them from the factory with the Z? Obviously yes, both cars are performance-oriented in nature, but the Z will be a few degrees more...sporty? in the sense of being 2-door coupe, etc.
Nissan may be hoping that the significant weight reduction of the Z compared to the Q will reduce heat loading, so they may put very similar coolers in the Z.

As for the DI issue, we'll see....maybe Nissan has added port injection and we don't know about it yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think I'll do anything major other than:
1- CAI.
2- Catback without a mid-muffler
3- Staggered and wider wheels and tires
4- Depending on how NISMO would look and have in term of aero package, I might add front spoiler, side sill, rear diffuser and hi-wing.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Also noticing the proto has bigger brake rotors vs the 370Z, anyone notice that? This will be great to have from the get-go, since terrible fade issues reported on track years back.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
Also noticing the proto has bigger brake rotors vs the 370Z, anyone notice that? This will be great to have from the get-go, since terrible fade issues reported on track years back.
Yea, the Proto was rocking the R35 GTR's Brembo brakes. I'm anticipating the production model will use Akebonos, and likely be smaller. However, would be awesome if they had an upgraded brake option as part of a track pack. If not, surely the NISMO will get the big brake treatment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tints and rims/tires.

Performance mods later like in year 2-3

I know some like the fairlady badge, I personally don't and hope they don't put that there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First would be lowering spring, then wheels, maybe a front lip/splitter, then downpipes bolted to a Stillen catback and then a piggyback tune of some sort. I just hope this engine doesn't hate soak so damn easy like when it was in the Q.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
First would be lowering spring, then wheels, maybe a front lip/splitter, then downpipes bolted to a Stillen catback and then a piggyback tune of some sort. I just hope this engine doesn't hate soak so damn easy like when it was in the Q.
Hey @TySan welcome to the forum! Which wheels would you put on the Z?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Immediate mods:
Window tint
EcuTek tune
Turboback exhaust
Intake
Heat exchanger
HKS BOV

Sooner or later:
Coilovers
Wheels

Potential mods:
Rear window louvers (for an even more retro vibe)
Bigger turbos

·
Registered
22 Posts
TE37SL’s as wide as the arches will handle so probably 9.5 front and 10.5rear

Powerhouse amuse r1 titanium turbo back

Some filters and an intercooler change from the watercooled one it has…

That should do until the Nismo version comes out. And if it’s not worth upgrading then I will look at further mods.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I would leave it stock for baseline stuff at the track, maybe 3-6 mos, then really want first thing is a better sounding exhaust. That one video by Raiti's really shows the weak sound.

What has worked best on the 370Z for catback or turboback as far as sound and weight, durability? Ark, Powerhouse, ???

41 - 60 of 73 Posts