Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would leave it stock for baseline stuff at the track, maybe 3-6 mos, then really want first thing is a better sounding exhaust. That one video by Raiti's really shows the weak sound.

What has worked best on the 370Z for catback or turboback as far as sound and weight, durability? Ark, Powerhouse, ???
You're better off looking at the Q60 red sport, not the 370z for comparison.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What does everyone think of quad exhausts on the Z? If they were a bit smaller here it would look a bit better in my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personal preference is dual - quad might look good if not as large as the ones in the picture. I’m sure some of the tuners will have a quad tip option as part of their range of exhausts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Personal preference is dual - quad might look good if not as large as the ones in the picture. I’m sure some of the tuners will have a quad tip option as part of their range of exhausts.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see who is the first one out the gate with a quad exhaust option and other accessories. I think i'd still stick a dual setup as well but with the right size a quad setup will work nicely on someone's build.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm hoping to have the majority of the mods I want done on day one. Hopefully manufacturers get their hands on the specs so they'll have parts ready by the time it's out. That said, I'm not a fan of the quad exhaust look on the Z, so I won't go that route.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm hoping to have the majority of the mods I want done on day one. Hopefully manufacturers get their hands on the specs so they'll have parts ready by the time it's out. That said, I'm not a fan of the quad exhaust look on the Z, so I won't go that route.
Yeah I really hope Nissan has been secretly giving tuners cars to work on like Toyota did with the GR86.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I really hope Nissan has been secretly giving tuners cars to work on like Toyota did with the GR86.
That would be amazing. The good thing is we have somewhat of a head start with the Q60 parts. I'm sure some things will need to be reworked for the Z, but some things should transfer over without issue.

·
Registered
644 Posts
GT Radial and Chris Forsberg are teasing some mods for the Z. At the very least a new set of Rotiform rims and GT Radial tires.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to California where ECU tuning is now illegal! I'm not too concerned because I like suspension upgrades.

I'lll go with full polyurethane bushings on the sway bars. then if the struts aren't adaptive, I'll aim for full coilovers and some camber kits.

Was never a fan of the engine parts so I'll just get a reusable, dry air flow filter.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome to California where ECU tuning is now illegal! I'm not too concerned because I like suspension upgrades.

I'lll go with full polyurethane bushings on the sway bars. then if the struts aren't adaptive, I'll aim for full coilovers and some camber kits.

Was never a fan of the engine parts so I'll just get a reusable, dry air flow filter.
I was just reading an article about the ECU law and it seems that only a small amount of cars might be affected by it. Road and Track spoke with SEMA director of emissions compliance Peter Treydte about it.

"So far in the two weeks that have transpired, we have seen zero instances of concern," Treydte told R&T. "I really don’t think that this is problematic."

The SEMA executive explained that only a tiny number of California vehicles are likely to be in violation of the new rule. Treydte says BAR shared data with SEMA estimating that, out of the roughly one million vehicles that undergo smog testing each month, only around 150 to 300 cars are expected to fail due to an illegal ECU tune. For comparison, around 10,000 cars fail every month due to mechanical problems or other non-ECU issues. These estimates should be trustworthy: BAR has had the authority to run this program in California since 2013, and has been collecting data on the ECUs of cars being tested since 2015.

That data has shaped the rules that are now being implemented. Treydte says the data BAR has collected can tell the agency how many vehicles are factory-tuned (i.e., with a post-purchase computer update) and which are running aftermarket software or computer hardware. "They know which of those aftermarket modifications are legal, associated with a CARB Executive Order," he said. "They already have that information. What’s happened here as of July 19 is simply an implementation of a failure condition during smog check based on some of that data they read from an ECU."

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I was just reading an article about the ECU law and it seems that only a small amount of cars might be affected by it. Road and Track spoke with SEMA director of emissions compliance Peter Treydte about it.

"So far in the two weeks that have transpired, we have seen zero instances of concern," Treydte told R&T. "I really don’t think that this is problematic."

The SEMA executive explained that only a tiny number of California vehicles are likely to be in violation of the new rule. Treydte says BAR shared data with SEMA estimating that, out of the roughly one million vehicles that undergo smog testing each month, only around 150 to 300 cars are expected to fail due to an illegal ECU tune. For comparison, around 10,000 cars fail every month due to mechanical problems or other non-ECU issues. These estimates should be trustworthy: BAR has had the authority to run this program in California since 2013, and has been collecting data on the ECUs of cars being tested since 2015.

That data has shaped the rules that are now being implemented. Treydte says the data BAR has collected can tell the agency how many vehicles are factory-tuned (i.e., with a post-purchase computer update) and which are running aftermarket software or computer hardware. "They know which of those aftermarket modifications are legal, associated with a CARB Executive Order," he said. "They already have that information. What’s happened here as of July 19 is simply an implementation of a failure condition during smog check based on some of that data they read from an ECU."
Donut Media has a pretty good video explaining this situation with ECUs.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts