Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
Yea, manual all the way. Aside from the fact that this will likely be one of the last manual transmission cars on the market, I'm of the opinion that the manual will simply be more enjoyable (even with the CSC issues), and secondly, I'm hesitant to buy anything that comes out of JATCO, even if it is a clone of the Mercedes trans.

But, you shouldn't let others' opinions sway you. Your money, your car. Cheers!

Registered
Thanks, Rusty!

This vehicle seems like such the enthusiasts vehicle that I thought an auto might spoil it. I'll give them videos a watch and see where that sways me 馃檪馃憤
If it's using this auto or something similar it shouldn't spoil it knock on wood It's the transmission Mercedes uses in all the C and E Class'. I hope those videos help you out.

Registered
Anyone what MB cars have the auto in now? I would like to do some reviews and comments from users....
Mercedes models
Mercedes C-Class
  • 2015鈥2017 Mercedes-Benz W205 (some models)
  • 2018鈥搕oday Mercedes-Benz W205 (all models)
Mercedes E-Class
Mercedes S-Class
Non Mercedes-Benz models

Premium Member

Registered
2019 Jaguar F-type R AWD
I'm actually surprised by the number of people saying they'd get the automatic. Manual is truly a no brainer. As others noted, the manual will likely not last long as an option. I made the mistake of upgrading my F-type from the manual V6 to an automatic V8 -- I still miss that manual transmission even if it's slower. Add to this that Jaguar stopped offering the manual transmission 3 years after they first started offering it. Bottom line - there will be a group of early adopters/buyers of the manual, after which point sales of the MT will drop to very low levels -- and then Nissan will question why they are even offering it. So, get the manual transmission while you still can....

Premium Member
Here's hoping they at least fix the CSC etc. clutch weaknesses that are all over the 370 forums...
Yep the only weakness, has to be addressed, plus hoping the clutch take-up is not too high. It was tough modulating my G35S even after adjusting the pedal freeplay.

Registered
I'm actually surprised by the number of people saying they'd get the automatic. Manual is truly a no brainer. As others noted, the manual will likely not last long as an option. I made the mistake of upgrading my F-type from the manual V6 to an automatic V8 -- I still miss that manual transmission even if it's slower. Add to this that Jaguar stopped offering the manual transmission 3 years after they first started offering it. Bottom line - there will be a group of early adopters/buyers of the manual, after which point sales of the MT will drop to very low levels -- and then Nissan will question why they are even offering it. So, get the manual transmission while you still can....
I was planning on waiting a few years only because I would rather have the Nismo model with a manual (and I鈥檓 almost finished sorting out my G37 coupe) but reading your post gave me a chill thinking that the car I want may not even be around three years from now. Oooof! I may have to rethink my timetable.

Registered
Yep the only weakness, has to be addressed, plus hoping the clutch take-up is not too high. It was tough modulating my G35S even after adjusting the pedal freeplay.
I have to believe that with a new model (quasi-new) a well-known issue such as the CSC would be taken care of. I haven鈥檛 had the issue in my G37 coupe but I did buy an adjustable pedal kit to improve clutch smoothness/take up that I have yet to install. I haven鈥檛 done an aftermarket CAC because oddly enough my car is under warranty (Carmax) and my Infiniti dealer (Svc manager) said if I ever have a failing CSC, they would accept a customer-provided aftermarket CSC for installation except that they would not warrant that part (just the labor) since it wouldn鈥檛 be coming from them.

Registered
I have to believe that with a new model (quasi-new) a well-known issue such as the CSC would be taken care of.

Lets hope so.
The CSC issue has been well known since the 350Z. Im surprised it wasnt fixed for the 370Z.

Registered
Manual all the way. Sounds like the manual will be the same as the current 370Z's manual trans (it can easily handle the power). Which means they were probably too lazy to bother with upgrading the weak clutch slave cylinder. If that is the case, it is a simple (but not exactly cheap) fix with a ZSpeed Performance CMAK (stands for Clutch Movement Alteration Kit) which bypasses the CSC. At the same time do a ZSpeed Performance Premium EZ-Street Quiet Stage 2 clutch with 19.8 lb billet steel flywheel. The stock flywheel weight is 31 lb. It turns the trans into a great one- makes it so much nicer to shift from 1st to 2nd, and the trans is super slick. I couldn't be happier with this setup. It would be the first mod to the new Z I would do.

Registered
Just because the transmission is the same, doesn't mean the clutch will be, especially with turbocharged torque levels.

Plus a clutch slave cylinder is only one component, and external to the gearbox itself, even if it is inside the bell-housing.

There have been other instances where between model year revisions, cars have changed things like that... I am trying to remember the one I recently heard about that went from a lever-operated slave cylinder and throw-out bearing, to a concentric setup, and someone converted back to the original non-concentric parts from an earlier model year in a custom aftermarket build. Same engine, same gearbox, probably even the same clutch specification, just a change in the clutch engagement setup.

It is unfortunate that it wasn't upgraded earlier, but sadly several things were a bit unfortunate about the transition from 350 to 370Z (Z34.1 to Z34.2), hopefully the transition is better, and this will really be a Z35.1, instead of just Z34.3.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts