Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger (daily), 2020 Toyota Supra
92 Posts
No was asking for Autos in MB’s.
My mom has had a 2018 and currently a 2021 GLC 300. The auto transmission is nice and shifts smooth. Good difference between comfort, sport, and sport plus mode. Go test drive a few vehicles to feel the transmission if you don’t know of anyone that has one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you have issue with manuals in stop-and-go, it's just because you're out of practice
Well, that kind of depends upon what you mean by "issue." If you mean that people lack the capability to competently use a stick in traffic, you're probably right. If "issue" means "preference against" it's certainly not rooted in practice or lack thereof.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, that kind of depends upon what you mean by "issue." If you mean that people lack the capability to competently use a stick in traffic, you're probably right. If "issue" means "preference against" it's certainly not rooted in practice or lack thereof.
True, and to each his own for preference. I just hear all the time people saying “I’d get a manual except it’s a pain in stop and go traffic”.
My point is that it isn’t a pain if you’re practiced and proficient. If someone prefers autos, that’s fine, just don’t blame the traffic - that isn’t the limitation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't even bother buying this car in an automatic.

Dealers should take names and address of those who request automatic Nissan Zs and publish it online so the general public can shame them online and in person.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't even bother buying this car in an automatic.

Dealers should take names and address of those who request automatic Nissan Zs and publish it online so the general public can shame them online and in person.
I met a guy at ZDayz this year who had to special order his 370 NISMO with an automatic. When he went to pick it up, he heard all the mechanics joking about it before they knew who he was. He had a good sense of humor about it though.

I'm definitely getting a manual. I've spent too long without one. I'm not concerned about speed, I want to have FUN!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah some people literally cant drive manual that's understandable. People with bad leg or back etc

Cant hold that against them.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
Depends on if the CSC issue has been addressed. It's my understanding the transmission has to be dropped in order to fix it when it messes up and I could imagine if that happened outta warranty It's something that would cost a decent amount of money. I'm undecided and would have to do my research on that and the 9 speed.

The JATCO in my 66k G37 is holding up, but sometimes in regular drive mode the rpms seem a little weird going from 2nd to 3rd. But, in DS or manual mode I don't experience this and apparently the builder at level 10 recommends always driving in DS for longevity (wish I had discovered this advice sooner than I did).

The 10r80 in the one to get when it comes to Mustangs. It's quicker than the manual and can hold 700whp, but will eventually go. The mt82 5.0 I drove a while back felt like shit and people we're having shift fork issues on low mileage cars so it seemed like a no brainer when I was choosing mine. So far it's been problem free, but in my experience the a10 has to be operating at 170+ degrees in order to be driven properly in manual mode. In manual mode it is a riot. Throttle response is through the roof and it's so much fun. The 5.0 is a lot of fun as it is, but it's fastest in sport mode when you let the car shift for you. But, cruising around with the paddle shifters is a lot of fun.

So I'm conflicted and will decide based upon hopefully a test drive and what first year owners experience. It's funny because if I choose the gr86 over the new Z it will certainly be manual, but with either car I want the transmission that will produce better acceleration. Believe it or not the 10r80 in my Mustang is quite the experience. I just want the best acceleration times possible. If the difference is negligible between the two in the new Z the decision will be a difficult one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depends on if the CSC issue has been addressed. It's my understanding the transmission has to be dropped in order to fix it when it messes up and I could imagine if that happened outta warranty It's something that would cost a decent amount of money. I'm undecided and would have to do my research on that and the 9 speed.

The JATCO in my 66k G37 is holding up, but sometimes in regular drive mode the rpms seem a little weird going from 2nd to 3rd. But, in DS or manual mode I don't experience this and apparently the builder at level 10 recommends always driving in DS for longevity (wish I had discovered this advice sooner than I did).

The 10r80 in the one to get when it comes to Mustangs. It's quicker than the manual and can hold 700whp, but will eventually go. The mt82 5.0 I drove a while back felt like shit and people we're having shift fork issues on low mileage cars so it seemed like a no brainer when I was choosing mine. So far it's been problem free, but in my experience the a10 has to be operating at 170+ degrees in order to be driven properly in manual mode. In manual mode it is a riot. Throttle response is through the roof and it's so much fun. The 5.0 is a lot of fun as it is, but it's fastest in sport mode when you let the car shift for you. But, cruising around with the paddle shifters is a lot of fun.

So I'm conflicted and will decide based upon hopefully a test drive and what first year owners experience. It's funny because if I choose the gr86 over the new Z it will certainly be manual, but with either car I want the transmission that will produce better acceleration. Believe it or not the 10r80 in my Mustang is quite the experience. I just want the best acceleration times possible. If the difference is negligible between the two in the new Z the decision will be a difficult one.
The CSC issue isn't as bad as having to rebuild an automatic transmission multiple times because you have tuned in another 150hp, which the new V6 will be easily capable of. Level Ten does not have a good reputation, however the 6MT, aside from the CSC, is a better option for withstanding elevated power. The VR30DDTT needs to be removed for certain upgrades, may as well throw in. CSC delete and burlier clutch.

I have a 2014 Q60 AWD, I saved up my money for a Topgunz A2A kit, but as soon as the new Z became official I decided to hold off. My car, being AWD, has no option for manual transmission, and Level Ten is sketchy, my only option is the 7AT from a VR Infiniti. I feel like that's a much bigger hassle than the CSC.

The 9AT will certainly be quicker, however the 6MT is the one you want for big power gains and longevity.

·
Registered
10r80 5.0, G37X
24 Posts
The CSC issue isn't as bad as having to rebuild an automatic transmission multiple times because you have tuned in another 150hp, which the new V6 will be easily capable of. Level Ten does not have a good reputation, however the 6MT, aside from the CSC, is a better option for withstanding elevated power. The VR30DDTT needs to be removed for certain upgrades, may as well throw in. CSC delete and burlier clutch.

I have a 2014 Q60 AWD, I saved up my money for a Topgunz A2A kit, but as soon as the new Z became official I decided to hold off. My car, being AWD, has no option for manual transmission, and Level Ten is sketchy, my only option is the 7AT from a VR Infiniti. I feel like that's a much bigger hassle than the CSC.

The 9AT will certainly be quicker, however the 6MT is the one you want for big power gains and longevity.
Wow we both have HR awd cars. Q50s and Q60s look great imo. I was close to trading in my G37 for a 2018+, but am holding off because the new Z is more appealing than the Infinitis. I plan to keep my G37 for a long time and add admin intakes, test pipes, and a tune. I have Megan springs, Beluga racing y pipe and 2.5" straight pipe right now. It needs wheels lol and overall close to another $2,000 in mods before she is complete.

I really like my G37, but sometimes wish I got the rwd model so I could add a shorter final drive without a custom driveshaft and new front and rear diffs. I had a 150k 03 G35 for close to two years and I preferred driving that over my g37x. Despite less power, the DE and rwd felt good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow we both have HR awd cars. Q50s and Q60s look great imo. I was close to trading in my G37 for a 2018+, but am holding off because the new Z is more appealing than the Infinitis. I plan to keep my G37 for a long time and add admin intakes, test pipes, and a tune. I have Megan springs, Beluga racing y pipe and 2.5" straight pipe right now. It needs wheels lol and overall close to another $2,000 in mods before she is complete.

I really like my G37, but sometimes wish I got the rwd model so I could add a shorter final drive without a custom driveshaft and new front and rear diffs. I had a 150k 03 G35 for close to two years and I preferred driving that over my g37x. Despite less power, the DE and rwd felt good.
My car is lowered on staggered wheels, Akebonos, flappy paddles, Infiniti aero kit, Stillen front lip, Infiniti Sports exhaust. I'm pretty much done with the mods, I never wanted to do NA mods to it, imo the cost/benefit ratio isn't right for me, especially after owning a tuned GTI that would add 80whp and 100ft/lbs for $400, (JB4).

I live in western Washington, it's raining and slippery about half of the year here, despite the car having somewhat muted driving dynamics, it's an unstoppable beast bad weather. Far better than any Subaru!

We may keep the car, selling it isn't necessary to get the new Z, and the new Z would be a handful in the winter. My GTI, even with LSD and good tires was just about useless in the winter.

However, I agree with you, the RWD versions of these cars are much better dynamically, and with the VR30DDTT and a 600 pound diet the new Z is far more compelling than the VR30 Qs.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
To those of you with CSC issues past or present, and since I have no experience with it, how can we tell if the new Z will have the same component or upgraded one, and what is the best way (instruction) to do the CSC delete? Probably a few YouTubes out there but what's the best one to follow? I'm getting the manual regardless.

·
Registered
177 Posts
To those of you with CSC issues past or present, and since I have no experience with it, how can we tell if the new Z will have the same component or upgraded one, and what is the best way (instruction) to do the CSC delete? Probably a few YouTubes out there but what's the best one to follow? I'm getting the manual regardless.
Putting the new Z on a lift can confirm if it still has a CSC. However, you'll need to remove the trans, or much better yet use the Nissan parts catalog to see if it's a revised unit. From what I've heard, CSC is a good idea, but the Nissan CSC is made poorly.

There's a kit for external slave cylinder and release fork, just like the older cars, and I've heard it's an excellent kit.

I agree, get the 6MT regardless, aside from CSC, it's a good transmission and can handle lots of abuse or power.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
💯 getting a manual. My Q60s biggest downfall was that 🤬 transmission. I get the new Z will have a MB 9 speed. But I’m over the auto. Miss the manual. And the feeling of actually driving a sports car. You can’t have an auto in a sports car. And feel Manley. #Changemymind

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im thinking faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times might make you feel fairly manly :unsure:

especially if it turns out to be the difference between a meh 4 sec 0-60 vs an amazing 3.9 to bench race brag about
lol I feel ya. I wouldn’t sweat about 1/10th of a second of 0-60. Or even .5 sec on a 1/4 time. Just get some stick tires. And you are there. 👍🏻

·
Registered
16 Posts
It'll be a much bigger performance gap than that!
Oh I agree. If your into dig racing and stuff like that. I’m more into high way pulls. And auto X. Which the numbers or not worth owning an auto to me. I’ve done autos. I’ve done manuals. And 100% prefer a manual. Now of it was a DCT. Or SMG. That’s a diff story 😏

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh I agree. If your into dig racing and stuff like that. I’m more into high way pulls. And auto X.
This hits it right on the head - it really depends upon what sort of performance one is looking at. For certain the automatic will be quicker off the line (which is generally where I would use the car's accelerative capability most aggressively) but who knows, maybe the stick will be better for high speed pulls.

Realistically, I hope that Nissan pulls both applications off equally well so that neither would feel like much of a compromise to buyers, regardless of preference.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
For my use, less concerned about auto vs manual differences on straight pulls, won't be doing drags. Manual is it for track use, so many options on gear selection, adds to the fun. Good DCTs feel direct but I still want a 3rd pedal. Good that the Z continues to have the off button, though, for auto-rev match.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts