Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good point about DCT or SMG. For the price of a new Z you could get a pre-owed BMW with that exact sporty transmission which has me wondering how many Z shoppers are also open to used upscale performance cars within the same price range. Anyone here?
By designing the new Z as a heritage car, Nissan wisely targeted the Z enthusiast demographic.
We don't cross-shop with expensive German gear, although they admittedly perform better.

There are cross shoppers who are open to considering the Z amongst others, but the 86 and Miata will handle better for cheaper and the German machinery will out-drag for more money.

I believe Toyota would've found at least as many Supra buyers if the car had been all Toyota, and they'd be more enthusiastic about it even if German machinery knicked it.

I'd buy a new Z cash, and I'd lease a new BMW. Never vice-versa.

·
Registered
591 Posts
By designing the new Z as a heritage car, Nissan wisely targeted the Z enthusiast demographic.
We don't cross-shop with expensive German gear, although they admittedly perform better.

There are cross shoppers who are open to considering the Z amongst others, but the 86 and Miata will handle better for cheaper and the German machinery will out-drag for more money.

I believe Toyota would've found at least as many Supra buyers if the car had been all Toyota, and they'd be more enthusiastic about it even if German machinery knicked it.

I'd buy a new Z cash, and I'd lease a new BMW. Never vice-versa.
I think that because Nissan is targeting enthusiasts with the Z there's going to be a bunch of Toyota/Supra fans getting a Z (or at least checking it out). The sales numbers between the Z and Supra are going to be very interesting to follow once deliveries start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I plan on modding mine right away, (turbo back exhaust, stage 2 tune, BOV, intake, FMIC, etc..) and will be looking to see what transmission can hold the most HP. I had the DSG in my stage 2 MK7 GTI because it was more capable at dealing with higher HP and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I like the idea of getting one of the last manuals, but paddle shifting can be pretty fun with the right transmission.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
I plan on modding mine right away, (turbo back exhaust, stage 2 tune, BOV, intake, FMIC, etc..) and will be looking to see what transmission can hold the most HP. I had the DSG in my stage 2 MK7 GTI because it was more capable at dealing with higher HP and I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I like the idea of getting one of the last manuals, but paddle shifting can be pretty fun with the right transmission.
Bet you dollars to donuts the manual will be able to handle more power than the stock MB 9-speed auto. If this were the 9g-MCT, I would have likely said that the auto was more capable. But as things stand, the auto won't exactly be a performance auto like a ZF.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a 2016 GTI DSG with JB4. DSG needed to be replaced at 20K miles. By all accounts, the DSG was supposed to be as durable as a MT, but that wasn't my experience. I loved the DSG though, performed amazing, and I loved the DSG farts. I might be swayed to the 9AT if it pops and crackles, however the 7AT in my Q60 isn't very good and can't handle significant power upgrades, so I still think the 6MT is better for modding, especially after what happened to my GTI.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Was watching a video on the new CT4-V Blackwing, Cadillac's new TTV6 performance car, available with either 10AT or 6MT. To my surprise, against typical outcomes, the 6MT held it's own in an impromptu drag race, go to 26:00 in the video:

Maybe the new TTV6 Z 6MT can accomplish the same result?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a 2016 GTI DSG with JB4. DSG needed to be replaced at 20K miles. By all accounts, the DSG was supposed to be as durable as a MT, but that wasn't my experience. I loved the DSG though, performed amazing, and I loved the DSG farts. I might be swayed to the 9AT if it pops and crackles, however the 7AT in my Q60 isn't very good and can't handle significant power upgrades, so I still think the 6MT is better for modding, especially after what happened to my GTI.
Interesting, I never had a single issue with mine in 100K miles (Eurodyne stage 2 tuned within a month of getting it).

I'm totally down for the MT, so either way is fine with me. We'll just have to see what AT they go with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was watching a video on the new CT4-V Blackwing, Cadillac's new TTV6 performance car, available with either 10AT or 6MT. To my surprise, against typical outcomes, the 6MT held it's own in an impromptu drag race, go to 26:00 in the video:

Maybe the new TTV6 Z 6MT can accomplish the same result?
This is due to the No-lift shift feature. You can keep your foot planted while banging through the gears. Evens the playing field significantly!

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
Interesting, I never had a single issue with mine in 100K miles (Eurodyne stage 2 tuned within a month of getting it).

I'm totally down for the MT, so either way is fine with me. We'll just have to see what AT they go with.
It's JATCO's version of the Mercedes 9g-tronic auto. Licensed to JATCO by MB for JATCO to build in Japan.

·
Registered
293 Posts

The 9AT is present in several Z test mules.
The 9AT has no reputation yet, but it has shown up in a few Nissan and 1 Infiniti, so far it's just average. We'll see if Nissan can tune the 9AT appropriately for the Z. Not sure about that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is due to the No-lift shift feature. You can keep your foot planted while banging through the gears. Evens the playing field significantly!
I agree about the no lift, but it's also because the TTV6 makes power all over. In the VQ37 cars with 7AT, the 7AT helps keep the relatively low torque 3.7 in it's narrow power band. The GM TTV6 and our VR30DDTT make power in a much wider power band, I'm hoping this allows the gap between 9AT and 6MT TTV6 Z to be closer than it is in the Z34, where the 7AT clearly stomps the 6MT in drag races.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good point about DCT or SMG. For the price of a new Z you could get a pre-owed BMW with that exact sporty transmission which has me wondering how many Z shoppers are also open to used upscale performance cars within the same price range. Anyone here?
would love the M2 or M3. However. I think the new Z looks way better. And I am a Nissan fan boy. And will chose the new Z over any other car. Do to the simple fact I love Zs and they aren’t played out like euro cars around here

·
Registered
83 Posts
In my previous car, I only used paddles to manually down shift to help slow down more quickly with engine braking, or to drop down to an appropriate gear and hold it before starting a little highway race (in Mexico, of course), or waiting for oncoming cars to pass before blasting by a car I wanted to pass on a 2 lane road. There's no reason to drive around shifting with the paddles for everyday use, but there are definitely times when they are very useful. I still find myself grabbing for a paddle to downshift in my 2020 Ram 1500 as I'm coming off the highway exit, but there's no paddles there. lol

When I started driving, manuals were always faster than auto, most cars offered both options, and most kids my age had MT cars because they were cheaper and more abundant in the "teenager's first car" price range. 23 years later and the AT does just about everything better. Subjectively, there are pros and cons to both transmissions. Either way you can manually select the gear you want to be in.

I always laugh at how people try to shame someone for the method they choose to do that, as if driving a manual transmission is a difficult task only elite drivers can accomplish when in reality, 16 year old kids with zero driving experience can figure it out in an hour.

In my opinion, the only reason to an MT anymore is nostalgia. Modern AT's are better than MT's in almost every regard.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
would love the M2 or M3. However. I think the new Z looks way better. And I am a Nissan fan boy. And will chose the new Z over any other car. Do to the simple fact I love Zs and they aren’t played out like euro cars around here
The outgoing M2 Comp was nice. The new M2 is just weird. Not sure what BMW design is thinking.

As to the new M3, not a fan of the huge grilles, but its growing on me a bit. Not to mention that a couple of companies already have new bumpers with smaller grilles available anyway.

·
Premium Member
2013 Camaro SS - 1LE
129 Posts
As to whether I could get a bimmer over a Z, not really my bag. I can respect them, but they're known to have significant issues as they age, and quite frankly the S55 and S58 just don't sound all that great. The VR30 with a decent exhaust sounds wayy better.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The outgoing M2 Comp was nice. The new M2 is just weird. Not sure what BMW design is thinking.

As to the new M3, not a fan of the huge grilles, but its growing on me a bit. Not to mention that a couple of companies already have new bumpers with smaller grilles available anyway.
The new M2 won't even have manual transmission last time I read.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As to whether I could get a bimmer over a Z, not really my bag. I can respect them, but they're known to have significant issues as they age, and quite frankly the S55 and S58 just don't sound all that great. The VR30 with a decent exhaust sounds wayy better.
I like the Z and will be buying one.. but there’s no way in hell the VR sounds better than a B58 or S58.

·
Registered
293 Posts
In my previous car, I only used paddles to manually down shift to help slow down more quickly with engine braking, or to drop down to an appropriate gear and hold it before starting a little highway race (in Mexico, of course), or waiting for oncoming cars to pass before blasting by a car I wanted to pass on a 2 lane road. There's no reason to drive around shifting with the paddles for everyday use, but there are definitely times when they are very useful. I still find myself grabbing for a paddle to downshift in my 2020 Ram 1500 as I'm coming off the highway exit, but there's no paddles there. lol
Well, brake pads and rotors are cheaper than automatic transmissions, you can only stop as abruptly as there is available traction from your tires, so if your brakes can overwhelm the tires and activate ABS, there's no reason to put the extra wear (as minor as it may be, all depends on the car) on your automatic when the brakes accomplish the same result.

All your other points I totally agree with, and I do sometimes grab for paddles on my Nissan Titan even though the 5AT in that truck is always spot-on.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts