Nissan Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Do you think that'll take some time to get used to?

No not really. Ive driven a few cars with it. wouldnt be a difference except in like autocross or something where things can get a little spicy with the wheel. I was always used to them being in a static position as you always knew where to grab if you kind of got jumbled up in the moment which happens in that type of driving. On track I think it will be fine as you rarely change from the 10 and 3 driving position and your movements are more smooth anyway and you dont usually shift when the wheel is turned anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am another future AUTO Z guy. I am in a busy city and my wife cant drive manual either. If the guy who shames others for it, he has some serious masculinity issues? Maybe he feels manly?

Autos can beat many cars that are manual. So, I'm not too worried about it. On the flip side, I understand why people would get the manual as you are controlling the car.
I'm in a different stage in my life where I don't care for that.

To each their own.
You don't have to justify yourself for getting an auto. People act like driving a manual makes you elite, but 15 year olds with zero driving experience can learn it in half an hour. It's not difficult at all.

Driving a sporty car with paddle shifters is still fun, and it will without a doubt be faster than manual.

I'm getting a manual, but auto is probably the better choice for every reason other than nostalgia.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No not really. Ive driven a few cars with it. wouldnt be a difference except in like autocross or something where things can get a little spicy with the wheel. I was always used to them being in a static position as you always knew where to grab if you kind of got jumbled up in the moment which happens in that type of driving. On track I think it will be fine as you rarely change from the 10 and 3 driving position and your movements are more smooth anyway and you dont usually shift when the wheel is turned anyway.
I really liked the wheel mounted shifters. You rarely have to reposition your hands to change gears with them. I've never used column mounted, but I always thought they would be awkward while in a turn.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I really liked the wheel mounted shifters. You rarely have to reposition your hands to change gears with them. I've never used column mounted, but I always thought they would be awkward while in a turn.
I had both, a GTI DSG with wheel mounted shifters, and my Q60 with the column mounted "GTR" style shifters.
We have a curvy road here that going uphill you can really rip, and it's sometimes beneficial to up/down shift a few times. With the GTI, I always got confused which paddle was up/down because you spend a while sawing the wheel back and forth, and if you are nearly 180 over on your wheel, but don't realize it, when that super tight turn comes up I would bang the upshift, instead of downshift. Maybe I'm just uncoordinated. But my upshift in my Q60 is always on the right, and my downshift is always on the left. I much prefer it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a concern regarding manual - I go to a lot of places and events that require me to valet park my car. is this going to be a problem having a MT car?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lmao, MB tuned that thing to just bang gears like a manual!
Correction, AMG tuned it. I've got the 9 speed in the C63S. There's 4 Dynamic Select driving modes - Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Race. Each remap engine, traction control and transmission management and get increasingly aggressive. It also has true manual mode, or clutchless automatic. It's so good though, I very rarely feel the need to use the paddles. Launch control involves stepping on the brake and flooring the accelerator, dash flashes red to let go of the brake at preset RPMs. Fun stuff, but I still want the manual for the Z for the carbon fiber driveshaft and LSD. Its also been 20+ years since I've owned a manual, excluding motorcycles, of course.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a concern regarding manual - I go to a lot of places and events that require me to valet park my car. is this going to be a problem having a MT car?
Most valet places will either hire valet who can drive MT, or the valet may ride along with you to a spot to park MT cars that doesn't need to be moved again until they can assist you with retrieving the car. I've recently seen a valet drive a new Miata 6MT, so I know they don't mind. At least here in WA State.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had manuals for many years. I ask before handing my keys over and if not comfortable I park Vehicle myself & tip them.. very simple. Most my manuals were BMWs

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have had manuals for many years. I ask before handing my keys over and if not comfortable I park Vehicle myself & tip them.. very simple. Most my manuals were BMWs
I've done something similar. Usually they bring someone who does know how to drive manual but if not I park it myself and still tip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I respect everyone's preferences but a part of me is sad seeing so many sports cars enthusiasts want to get the Automatic Z. Its pretty sad to think that in a few years there might be no new cars at all coming out with manual transmission. It baffled me why Toyota made the Supra auto only but seeing all these responses on here, im starting to get why.

I just can't wrap my head as to why someone would want a sport cars in auto, but to each his own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surely ability to drive a manual would be a prerequisite for any valet.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts