1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll go first.

1998 Mazda Protege

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Not the exact car but very close to this. A darker blue though.

To be fair, I paid about $500 for it as a winter beater. The shifter was like a foot long and required serious muscle to move it.

The brakes seized up all the time.

I actually owned another one as a winter beater, then sold it because I got rid of my summer car. So I just needed one car. Then I went back to getting a sports car and a beater and got this turd.

One day when the brakes were seized up I went to jack it up to take the wheels off and have a look. My jack broke so I went to use the jack in the trunk. But when I did, where the jack and spare tire are located was a pool of murky rust-colored water.

I called a scrap yard and said goodbye immediately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1990 honda legend turbo, rare car but had so many issues including, blown turbo (compressor wheel and shaft was actually missing), rusted out firewall and pretty sure head gasket was done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never owned a bad car, but I work at a dealership and..
Worst vehicles are Dodge Darts, and Lincoln MKX.
They always come back after the sale with issues, always.
And it's not easy to fix issues either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
by FAR...2004 Toyota Sienna minivan...I broke the rule never buy first year of a remodel redesign. Finally dumped it in 2015 after 20+ recalls including endless replacements of power side door motors and cables and countless other problems.. soured me to the point I will go to my grave never buying another Toyota. Thing was great in concept and my head knows Toyota reliability...but that thing was a D-O-G dog. Shoulda bought the Honda.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
by FAR...2004 Toyota Sienna minivan...I broke the rule never buy first year of a remodel redesign. Finally dumped it in 2015 after 20+ recalls including endless replacements of power side door motors and cables and countless other problems.. soured me to the point I will go to my grave never buying another Toyota. Thing was great in concept and my head knows Toyota reliability...but that thing was a D-O-G dog. Shoulda bought the Honda.
Welcome to the forum @piste! You have the patience of saint keeping that Sienna that long and through that many recalls. What made you keep it that long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @piste! You have the patience of saint keeping that Sienna that long and through that many recalls. What made you keep it that long?
Thanks for the welcome. Well...good question. I am very mechanically inclined...working on a long awaited Corvette restoration right now. Reason I say that is...my philosophy for daily drivers is....research the heck out of what you want...get it paid off and keep it til it dies...such as my 1997 Pathfinder I purchased new and I finally had to part with in 2018. Any reasonable amount of maint/repairs is still gonna be cheaper than payments. And I pretty much always get extended warranty. To me that is the most economical approach. Soooo...when child #2 was coming along in 2004...research came down to Sienna or Odyssey. Through those days we were buried with raising the kids...and VAST majority of repairs were covered under warranty. We needed/wanted a van and I did not want to start all over. The cables on the power side doors were a disaster. My Sienna lost thousands of dollars for Toyota. I keep records of EVERYTHING when it comes to cars. When I finally got rid of it I pulled out the file and think I counted 23 recalls. A separate totally opposite example of my approach to cars..is my original owner 1987 300ZX Turbo sitting in my garage in showroom condition just shy of 20K miles!

·
Registered
29 Posts
1992 240SX SE 5MT
1997 Maxima SE
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
1991 300ZX 5MT
Current:
2015 Xterra Pro-4X (the only non-Japan made Nissan I've had, and it has been bulletproof so far)
2017 370Z 6MT
Zero recalls since owning Nissans constantly since 1992.
When I had the G35 Coupe, the electric radiator fan motor died around 100,000 miles and it cost $750 to replace. A few months later I got a letter from Nissan and they reimbursed it even though the car was out of warranty.
All have been terrific! Just avoid Nissan CVT's and you are in good shape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts