Nissan 400Z Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what everyone thinks.

I know Ford really killed it when they launched the 5th generation Mustang. It really appealed to the right audience. And I think going the '80s and '90s route with this new model would be idea.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It seems like that's a real possibility. Autoblog spoke with people that attended a Nissan dealers meeting and according to them the Z is going to have a "heritage-inspired design".

Sources who have seen the upcoming sports car at dealer meetings told us it will feature heritage-inspired design. “They’re going back to the roots of the car,” one source told us.

My guess is that they going to go back to the styling of the first and second gen Z's.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Nissan could copy the window-line and greenhouse of the classic Z pictured above. I think that would translate well on a modern car with modern details/lights etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have spoken to a guy that has seen a rendering. He says this pic is closest to what he was shown. The rendering he saw was over a year ago so he says it could be even more retro now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since the new Z will be retro, do u think that many other Japanese automakers will do the same?

1999- American Retro-Style Cars stole Detroit Auto Show

2020-2021 - Japanese Retro-Style Cars stole Tokyo Motor Show

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think all these brands would be smart to tap into the retro theme. Heck Tesla already did it with the Cybertruck and they don't have a history that dates back that far.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I think all these brands would be smart to tap into the retro theme. Heck Tesla already did it with the Cybertruck and they don't have a history that dates back that far.
Retro was huge in the mid-to-late 2000s and now I think it's coming back as a design theme. Ford is doing that with Bronco right now. People like retro detailing.

Also, I think part of the new Supra's failure to resonate much with enthusiasts was due to a lack of much continuity from the legendary 4th-generation Supra. Supra fans wanted more connections to past Supra. Nissan can learn from that here and give Z fans connections to the past while still building a modern sports car.

Whether the 400Z is retro or not, I'm sure we're going to see plenty of 400Z vs. Supra comparisons and debates here in due time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Retro was huge in the mid-to-late 2000s and now I think it's coming back as a design theme. Ford is doing that with Bronco right now. People like retro detailing.

Also, I think part of the new Supra's failure to resonate much with enthusiasts was due to a lack of much continuity from the legendary 4th-generation Supra. Supra fans wanted more connections to past Supra. Nissan can learn from that here and give Z fans connections to the past while still building a modern sports car.

Whether the 400Z is retro or not, I'm sure we're going to see plenty of 400Z vs. Supra comparisons and debates here in due time.
As far as the Supra goes, I think the did a solid job with the design. But the frustrating part was that it's basically a Z4 underneath. I saw one at an auto show and it's weird seeing a BMW badge on the inside of the door frame.

Hopefully Nissan builds this car without any outside help, but if they do partner with someone it should be kept to a minimum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Real stroke of genius. Sadly, it's not supposed to come to North America.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts