• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

Will We See A Hybrid Z?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  G37 
#1 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

With the news coming out that the R35 has been discontinued in most of Europe because of increasing regulations it's no secret the clock is ticking on cars like it and the Z, which isn't even being sold in Europe.

To increase its availability do you think we'll see a Z hybrid model? Or do you think Nissan will move straight to an EV when the time comes?

See less See more
#2 ·
good question. there is no question this new Z will be the last pure ICE car. I think since this car already is still a Z34 and its marketed as a purist car and they used so many existing resources on it I dont see like a midlife hybrid refresh that sort of gets away from the point of this car. more so if the lifespan is anywhere near as long as the 370z that takes it right up to around the time where Nissan has publicly stated it will move to electric across all its platforms.

so my guess would be no hybrid and I dont see the Z becoming an immediate electic vehicle in its next gen. I think this car could be the Zs swan song for a while and then one day the Z branding could be reimagined down the road

one counter to this is it depends on what you mean by hybrid. if you mean a mild hybrid system which is commonly a 48 volt battery assist that is mainly for quiet starts and adds small amounts of power yeah I guess thats possible and wouldnt be out of the question as many cars might have to have this just for emissions in the future.

but if you are talking real deal sports car hybrid that calls for chassis changes with electric motors on wheels with a small gas engine I say no way as they are going to ride this Z34 platform as is as long as possible. you can get enough HP out of the VR30 to give it a few small bumps throughout its lifecycle and leave room for a possible NISMO

#11 ·
The Z has too small a volume to significantly impact Nissan’s CAFE. Hopefully that alone will allow it to remain ICE-powered and thus accommodate a manual transmission. Even hybridized, the Z could still offer a stick so I’m all for it though I don’t see how engineering a hybrid Z could be justified by the beancounters unless the power train were shared with another model. Maxima? An Infiniti? Who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.