Nissan Z Forum banner

Z to have Ceramic Brakes?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MCN1SMO 
#1 ·
Is that what I think it is?

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are the same steel rotors that were revealed with the proto. CCM brakes are darker and definitely not as shiny as the (steel) rotors in the pics. Plus CCM brakes cost a literal fortune, the 2020 Nismo GTR CCM brakes alone cost $15k for the entire set. Not gonna happen with the Z if they want to keep it affordable. If it did come with CCM brakes, the car would cost $80k+.

#5 ·
I kind of hope tungsten carbide coated iron discs are an option... That is what Porsche is marketing on their road cars as PSCB, Porsche Surface-Coated Brakes, color coded with white calipers. Supposedly they use very special and proprietary Akebono pads to go with it... but supposedly increases brake wear longevity, and reduces brake dust by 90 % over iron, but only a fraction of the cost of carbon-ceramic discs.

even better if they are 2-piece rotors with aluminum hats like the Proto is wearing... but I doubt it at normal price points.

#9 ·
Not the ceramic brakes, but there is a chance that the steel rotors from the GT-R brakes, may end up on the Nismo edition of the 400Z.
Supposedly there will be other GT-R tech and parts that may trickle down to the Z.
Not the ceramic brakes, but there is a chance that the steel rotors from the GT-R brakes, may end up on the Nismo edition of the 400Z.
Supposedly there will be other GT-R tech and parts that may trickle down to the Z.

you honestly dont want them either. the drilled rotors tend to crack relatively easy with anything beyond street driving. the Z would be pushing less weight around than the GTR so possible its less of a issue on a 600lbs lighter car. for the Z even the NISMO, the standard rotor I think would be just fine. if you wanted an upgrade I would go slotted or J hook over the GTR rotors

#11 ·
One quality that's usually ignored in any discussion of carbon-ceramic brakes is the high operating temps needed for optimum performance. You'll only get that at the racetrack, and Nissan engineers would be aware of that quality. It's an expensive option that wouldn't make ANY sense for a cost-sensitive car like the Z35.

#12 ·
This is very true. when I met with Tamura one of the questions I asked him was why wasnt there a CCM offering for the GTR ( this was before they made them available on the 2020 NISMO) besides the super limited application on the SpecV? he basically said he wasnt totally happy with the low temperature performance of them( the specV ) and the replacement costs to the customer were also factored in. This for the GTR for the Z it would be roughly 1/3 the cost of the entire car. so just not practical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.